"Can real fans root against their team?"

Lori

Could apathy be defined as living 3 blocks from the Bills Backers Bar in Santa Monica and still not having the urge to go? Because some how, you knew the Miami game was going to be a mess?

Here's another question for Tim: What is the spread on people booing Ralph Wilson at halftime? I think it depends on the score. And I am not rooting against the Bills, but I kinda want them to lose. Just to prove how much Jauron sucks.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- A win against the Browns does nothing for us...

What do you mean a win against the Browns does nothing for us? We're 1-3, not 1-10. If we beat the Clowns we move to 2-3. Fish play the Jets on MNF. If Fish win and maybe Patsies* lose and suddenly we're only two games out with 11 to play. One behind Patsies* and tied with Fish. Season still over?

I'm thinking that this is Dick's last year anyway unless we win at least 9 games. That's what I'm going on. If we make the playoffs, why fire him?

I won't cheer for the Bills to lose no matter what.

I think it was Vince Lombardi who said "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing." That's what I'm working from. I'm a short horizon fan I admit. But today's all that's promised. I want to WIN TODAY !!

If we were 1-10 I could see it, but we're not. We're 1 - 3.

I can root against the team. I can seperate logic from emotion. The emotional side says..."this is my team. go Bills!" The logical thinker in me says "how can I fix what is broken?" and that is to root for change. Loss=Change. I won't be there at the game, but I dislike DJ so much I would surely boo when he makes his usual:

A. Bad decision to throw a challenge.

B. Bad decision to not throw a challenge.

C. Bad decision to Punt on 4th down.

D. Bad decision to let TE throw a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 8.

E. Bad decision to claim winning is difficult.

F. Bad decision to not change his facial expression.

G. Bad decision to not coach.

Boo!.....that was easy.

Steve

So let's say someone roots against the Bills all season and they go 4-12. Great, right? But, then Jauron still doesn't get fired. Does this fan root against them next year too? At what point does this fan realize they're just bitter and hate the team they once loved?

To the bolded point... if Jauron somehow turned it aroud and started having winning seasons, do we still need a new coach/GM/etc.? Maybe (Chargers with Martyball) but maybe not.

You make a good point. I obviously would prefer a 9-7 season to a 1-15 season if Dick gets fired at the end of both. But at some point every fan will realize that a coaching staff is holding the team back. What should they do then? Root for the team or root for the coaching staff? Most people here consider them to be the same but they are separate entities.

Dick and his regime are destroying the Bills, so I ask how can any true fan want to see anything that could cause Dick to be retained?

I think complete apathy would mean a bigger disconnect to the team then rooting against it.

Right ... if you're rooting against them, then at least you still care ...

It's not that one is rooting against them just to root against them ... it's to precipitate a change. DJ needs to go, and even a win over the equally hapless Browns won't change that ... going 7-9 again ... won't change that.

Right ... if you're rooting against them, then at least you still care ...

It's not that one is rooting against them just to root against them ... it's to precipitate a change. DJ needs to go, and even a win over the equally hapless Browns won't change that ... going 7-9 again ... won't change that.

Whichever team wins on Sunday wins... My opinion of it is I'm checking on the FFL team more, lol. I do have Lynch, so I hope he gets a touchdown or two. Whether I root for or against, or anyone, it's just a matter of personal opinion. With this team, they have no game in the bag, not even this Sunday against the Cleveland Clowns.

What do you mean a win against the Browns does nothing for us? We're 1-3, not 1-10. If we beat the Clowns we move to 2-3. Fish play the Jets on MNF. If Fish win and maybe Patsies* lose and suddenly we're only two games out with 11 to play. One behind Patsies* and tied with Fish. Season still over?

I think what he means is that a win against the Browns really means nothing. Yes, we go to 2-3, but it doesn't tell us anything we don't know. Jauron can beat the weaklings, but struggles against any team with decent talent. It doesn't put us any closer to the playoffs, because it doesn't tell us anything about the team being able to win the tough games they need to win.

Any time a critical game has come up in the Jauron era, they've crapped the bed. Sure, a loss will almost ensure Jauron is gone. But a win doesn't do anything.

Here's my case for rooting against the Bills, but it comes much later in the season than now: Say the Bills are 2-13 heading into the last game of the season & there's a can't miss impact player who will be the top pick in the draft, like when we ended up with Bruce Smith, or when the Colts got Peyton Manning. If the Bills lose, they clinch #1 pick, if they win they don't get the top pick. There's no way in the world I'm rooting for 3-13 over 2-14 when the player they will get if they lose could bring us a championship. I'd rather be #1 in the draft than #30 in the league. By the time a season is a waste, wins not only are meaningless, but at times they are harmful to the best interests of the team. Now the players can't think that way, but I can. After all, I was here before they got here, and I'll be here after they're gone.

I could never root for the Bills to lose, myself. But I take a different view on the idea that if things get bad enough RW will have to bring in a big name coach and turn over the keys to him. DJ may indeed be gone if the team goes 4-12 but the next coach may not be who you would hope for. In the mid 80s the Bills were 2-14, 2-14, and 4-12 for 3 straight years, 8-40 overall. His answer to that situation was to bring in a HC that was not even coaching in the NFL any more. No other team wanted him as a HC. Around the same time the GM we had could not continue and a guy who worked himself up from a low level scout ended up becoming the new GM. So Levy and Polian were not at all high priced, well known solutions to 3 horrible years.

The only time that RW went with a big name coach was Knox in 1978, 31 years ago. And that was before big name coaches were paid that great except for Shula, Chuck Noll, and a few others. Knox was not considered in that league. He had never won a SB. He was respected but not an elite coach like Cowher, Shanahan, etc.

Dream on if you think 4-12 solves all the problems. It won't.

I'm thinking that this is Dick's last year anyway unless we win at least 9 games. That's what I'm going on. If we make the playoffs, why fire him?

I won't cheer for the Bills to lose no matter what.

I think it was Vince Lombardi who said "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing." That's what I'm working from. I'm a short horizon fan I admit. But today's all that's promised. I want to WIN TODAY !!

If we were 1-10 I could see it, but we're not. We're 1 - 3.

God this was me last year....and the year before that....and the year before....and before...:unsure:

It does not matter if we beat the Browns because we are not going to be able to beat teams like the Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins.....not as this team stands right now.

It is time to blow this thing up.

A real fan does not root against his/her team. You just can NOT root for your beloved team to lose. I think Lori is right n the sense that you become ambivalent and just don't care and that's when you are not really a fan of the team anymore...or at least at that specific time. Admittedly, it is very tough to be a fan of this team when they play like the last 5 quarters, but we were all excited just two weeks ago so you just never know.

Well said...Rooting for or hoping for a loss shows what kind of a person you are...definitely not a fan. At the present time, all real Bills fans are rooting for a 13-3 regular season

I think what he means is that a win against the Browns really means nothing. Yes, we go to 2-3, but it doesn't tell us anything we don't know. Jauron can beat the weaklings, but struggles against any team with decent talent. It doesn't put us any closer to the playoffs, because it doesn't tell us anything about the team being able to win the tough games they need to win.

Any time a critical game has come up in the Jauron era, they've crapped the bed. Sure, a loss will almost ensure Jauron is gone. But a win doesn't do anything.

No to mention that I want there to be no doubt that change is needed......I honestly dont understand what Ralph is thinking past the money he gave DJ but I dont want the "well there is one.....lets get on a roll" mentality

Beating the Browns means nothing......just that they suck worse then us......I am TIRED of missing the playoffs!

Could apathy be defined as living 3 blocks from the Bills Backers Bar in Santa Monica and still not having the urge to go? Because some how, you knew the Miami game was going to be a mess?

Here's another question for Tim: What is the spread on people booing Ralph Wilson at halftime? I think it depends on the score. And I am not rooting against the Bills, but I kinda want them to lose. Just to prove how much Jauron sucks.

How much more proof do we need after 3+ years?

All I can say is that last year if the Bills had lost to Denver (who even remembers that game), maybe somethings (i.e. coaches, QB, draft postion to get a better player than Maybin) would be different....Let's win those meaningless games this year when we get elminated from playoff contention....

That is the other thing.....I know that the draft is not a sure thing but I would really like for that new coaching staff that I hope will be in place next year to actually have blue chip draft picks that get players that make impacts early......doing just well enough to keep us out of the top 10 but never making the playoffs and thus biulding a winning mentality is KILLING US.

That is the other thing.....I know that the draft is not a sure thing

It's a crap shoot...the only thing a high draft pick guarantees is that you have to pay whoever it is an ungodly amount of money no matter how he pans out. Or do the people saying we should tank the season forget Mike Williams already?

Guest dog14787
Well said...Rooting for or hoping for a loss shows what kind of a person you are...definitely not a fan. At the present time, all real Bills fans are rooting for a 13-3 regular season

Since you have it all figured out what kind of a person am I then.

We both want the same thing, a 13-3 season, playoffs and the Superbowl.

Only problem is, its not happening with DJ as our HC and Russ Brandon as GM.

I'm willing to suffer a loss or two to take care of the problem.

So what are you willing to sacrifice for the better of the team.

Don't claim that you know me or your a better fan than I am just because I'm prepared to sacrifice a couple of feel good wins to get rid of the cancer we call a head coach. :unsure: