"Can real fans root against their team?"

Lori

Can real fans root against their team?

October 9, 2009 9:22 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

This might not be the best weekend for the Buffalo Bills to present owner Ralph Wilson with his Pro Football Hall of Fame ring.

Ugliness has been building among Bills fans, and after a morning of tailgating and 30 minutes of access to vendors and the concession stands, a potentially unruly crowd might greet Wilson with a rude reception in the stadium that bears his name.

But this event has been scheduled for halftime of Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns. Wilson better hope his woebegone team puts the fans in a gleeful mood.

Based on submissions to the AFC East mailbag and comments left at the bottom of various blog entries, Bills fans have gotten so sickened they're actually rooting against their favorite team.

This type of feedback leads me to a philosophical question.

Can you, in good conscience, consider yourself a true fan yet want your team to lose?

I'm not at that point, and I'm not sure I ever could be. Think I'd stop caring first ... and that's getting closer and closer to happening.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't.

My level of interest is certainly waning, but I'm still not going to miss a single game, sucker that I am.

I hear you. Fool that I am, I just booked my flight for the Carolina game ...

A fan, by the very definition of the term, can not root against ther team. Yes, the Bills blow. Yes, they've blown for quite a few years. Yes, the HC should have been fired 2 years ago. Yes, the owner needs to spend big money on a new HC. Yes, this team will suck the very life from your soul.

But, none of that matters. They're still the BUFFALO Bills. I'll watch every game possible. I'll be a little happy when they win. Depressed when they lose. Why? Because I'm a fan.

When you cheer against a team or you no longer watch the games or follow the team, you're no longer a fan - period. You're just another person who occasionally watches. A fan is there through the thick and thin (granted it's nano fiber thin right now); not just when the team is doing well or doing things they like.

Yes, complain. Yes, boo when they screw up on the field. Yes, find voice your displeasure. But, cheering against the team - hoping they lose - regardless of the rationalization is not what a real fan does.

Fans root for the best of the team. If I think getting rid of Jauron will help the team, and it takes losing to make that occur, then I still consider myself a fan even if I'm hoping we lose.

It's not as if I take pleasure in seeing us lose week to week, but the way I see it, we are never moving forward, as it is right now. If we go 4-12 Ralph has to fire Jauron, and that helps the Buffalo Bills organization, which is what I want.

I'm unsure that we're already in the "we should root for him to lose!" situation, so I do still want them to win, but once we're eliminated from playoff contention, the winning needs to end. Winning in Denver last year was the worst thing that happened to this team.

A fan, by the very definition of the term, can not root against ther team. Yes, the Bills blow. Yes, they've blown for quite a few years. Yes, the HC should have been fired 2 years ago. Yes, the owner needs to spend big money on a new HC. Yes, this team will suck the very life from your soul.

But, none of that matters. They're still the BUFFALO Bills. I'll watch every game possible. I'll be a little happy when they win. Depressed when they lose. Why? Because I'm a fan.

When you cheer against a team or you no longer watch the games or follow the team, you're no longer a fan - period. You're just another person who occasionally watches. A fan is there through the thick and thin (granted it's nano fiber thin right now); not just when the team is doing well or doing things they like.

Yes, complain. Yes, boo when they screw up on the field. Yes, find voice your displeasure. But, cheering against the team - hoping they lose - regardless of the rationalization is not what a real fan does.

Well said. :doh:

I'm not at that point, and I'm not sure I ever could be. Think I'd stop caring first ... and that's getting closer and closer to happening.

That's my feeling. Have never seen the point in booing my team. Rooting against them...not an option. But I can lose interest, starting this weekend. At 1pm Sunday, I'll be driving in the southern tier with the wife and pooches enjoying the beautiful fall foliage and (hopefully) not listening to the game. I don't know if it's the 10 years of futility or my age, but this team has worn me down to the point to where I just don't care as deeply as I used to.

Can a fan root against their team. I do not know. I will let you know about 12:45 sunday when I call the book & decide whether I will take Cleveland with the 6pts or not.

Make room in that boat, Lori - I'm climbing in with ya. When things go bad it gets easier to find other things to do.

That's my feeling. Have never seen the point in booing my team. Rooting against them...not an option. But I can lose interest, starting this weekend. At 1pm Sunday, I'll be driving in the southern tier with the wife and pooches enjoying the beautiful fall foliage and (hopefully) not listening to the game. I don't know if it's the 10 years of futility or my age, but this team has worn me down to the point to where I just don't care as deeply as I used to.

Fall Festival is in Ellicottville this weekend, if you didn't already know. Hopefully, all that foliage isn't still weighted down (or on the ground) by the rain; my grandfather used to call days like today "dark and dreary" in a somber tone of voice ... think it's supposed to get better for the weekend, though.

REAL fans love there team and ALSO want the best for them. A REAL fan wants a winning team. A REAL fan wants the organization to get on the right path. If it takes a 1-15 season for Dick to be fired and this organization to get on the right path than a REAL fan should want that. Yes no fan wants a 1-15 season, but a REAL fan wants there team to be a competitor. Sometimes you cant have your cake (a winning season) and eat it too(getting a new coach/GM/etc).

Dont try and team me I not a real fan because I want Dick fired and a real coach and real GM brought in. Thats what I am rooting for.

Yes, fans can root against the team, if they think that it makes the team better. If you weren't a fan, you would just walk away and not watch anymore, not go to games, not participate in forum discussions etc ... A fan would not root against their team for no reason.

Bottom line is that this team is sucking the life out of it's fans, and it's a sad commentary that it's fans have come to this.

A real fan does not root against his/her team. You just can NOT root for your beloved team to lose. I think Lori is right n the sense that you become ambivalent and just don't care and that's when you are not really a fan of the team anymore...or at least at that specific time. Admittedly, it is very tough to be a fan of this team when they play like the last 5 quarters, but we were all excited just two weeks ago so you just never know.

:doh: Yeah that's pretty much sums it up for me. I loathe the organization that the Bills have become, but I still poneyed up a king's ransom to directv to see the team I love (to hate) on every sunday. Why? I've recently ask myself over and over. The only logical answer is because I am a fan and I want to believe this is the week it's going to turn around. If not this week maybe next month or next year but I love being the fan that can say I stuck with this team when they were 2-14, or 7-9 or didn't make a playoff in a decade. Just my opinion but I personally wouldn't feel like a true fan if I jumped ship when things were horrible and was back on the bandwagon when they became good again. So I don't think you could ever root against your team and be a true fan. It's kinda like your little brother or sister you pester, argue or even fight with them, but noone outside your family better utter one bad word about them. We on this board may argue amonst ourselves but come sundays the bickering stops and its on for 3.5 hours...... GO Bills

A real fan does not root against his/her team. You just can NOT root for your beloved team to lose. I think Lori is right n the sense that you become ambivalent and just don't care and that's when you are not really a fan of the team anymore...or at least at that specific time. Admittedly, it is very tough to be a fan of this team when they play like the last 5 quarters, but we were all excited just two weeks ago so you just never know.

Yes, but if people still care enough to come here and express themselves over it, then they still care, even if just a little. I don't care about the Detroit Lions ... so I don't go to their forums and discuss the Lions. I'm still a Bills fan, but this team needs a change ... DJ has proven time and time again that he isn't good enough, and until things get really bad ... Ralph won't make a change.

A true fan wants what is best for their team/organization. It is obvious that Jauron and company need to go, and if losing to the Browns makes that happen quicker all the better. Personally I will not cheer for the Browns, but I want them to win this game.