Since most everyone is writing the season off, what about ...

As much as I like Stroud as a player, he's not going to be an important player when the Bills finally become good (assuming they ever do). The Chargers, for instance, are really desperate for a DT, and they're not the only ones. The Cowboys come to mind too. I know a first rounder would be difficult to get, but desperate teams sometimes resort to desperate measures. If the Bills end up with two first rounders (one a high pick, the other in the mid-20s), they might be able to move up further and draft a QB or sit tight and and land both a blue chip DT and an OT. (They do need to draft a QB early, however.)

It's really just a thought experiment, but this team is going nowhere, and they're going to have to build through the draft.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like Stroud as a player, he's not going to be an important player when the Bills finally become good (assuming they ever do). The Chargers, for instance, are really desperate for a DT, and they're not the only ones. The Cowboys come to mind too. I know a first rounder would be difficult to get, but desperate teams sometimes resort to desperate measures. If the Bills end up with two first rounders (one a high pick, the other in the mid-20s), they might be able to move up further and draft a QB or sit tight and and land both a blue chip DT and an OT. (They do need to draft a QB early, however.)

It's really just a thought experiment, but this team is going nowhere, and they're going to have to build through the draft.

He wouldnt get a 1st. He would probably net you a 4th(which is what we gave up for him)

He wouldnt get a 1st. He would probably net you a 4th(which is what we gave up for him)

We traded a third and a fifth, and he was coming off of an injury. He's healthy and playing quite well right now. Moreover, his contract is reasonable, and the bonus has already been paid.

No thanks. Stroud is one of three starters on this team that have played in the playoffs. One of those three, Owens, will be gone after this season. We have no leaders on this team that have ever won in this league. I say we have to keep our best defensive player.

No thanks. Stroud is one of three starters on this team that have played in the playoffs. One of those three, Owens, will be gone after this season. We have no leaders on this team that have ever won in this league. I say we have to keep our best defensive player.

He's 31, and the Bills aren't going to the playoffs either this year or next. At a certain point, you have to shift to future planning mode. He was brought in to get the Bills to the playoffs last year and this year. The plan failed, although he wasn't the reason for the failure.

He's 31, and the Bills aren't going to the playoffs either this year or next. At a certain point, you have to shift to future planning mode. He was brought in to get the Bills to the playoffs last year and this year. The plan failed, although he wasn't the reason for the failure.

I'm sure teams will be fighting to send us a 1st round pick for him. Can anyone think logically here?

I'm sure teams will be fighting to send us a 1st round pick for him. Can anyone think logically here?

The Cowboys traded two firsts for a worse player last year (Roy Williams). The Jets just traded two guys and two picks for a malcontent. The Raiders traded a first for Seymour. Jobs are on the line in Chargerland, and they need to win that division this year. They aren't going to do it with the defensive line they have now.

The Cowboys traded two firsts for a worse player last year (Roy Williams). The Jets just traded two guys and two picks for a malcontent. The Raiders traded a first for Seymour. Jobs are on the line in Chargerland, and they need to win that division this year. They aren't going to do it with the defensive line they have now.

stroud isn't a 3-4 nose tackle.

I don't know if he'd net a 1st rounder, but a team like Indy might give up a 2nd rounder. But do we really want Brandon/Jauron making these decisions? That's why Jauron needs to be gone yesterday. This year is written off especially with Jauron here and the fact that we can't beat anyone in our division. Start the rebuilding now, and at least get something out of the rest of the season.

If someone was offering a first, we'd be foolish not to entertain the thought. That being said, DTs can and do play well into their mid to late 30s. I'd rather keep Stroud and bring in some young blood to start alongside him. No reason why he can't continue to perform at a high level for an additional 4 years. Especially with a best next to him.

I think anyone is expendable on this team and would encourage a fire sale to pick up top picks and/or large bodies on the upswing.

I suggested that Evans be another candidate for trade for a high round pick. At this juncture, the Bills are going nowhere, so I'm in favor of loading up on picks or infrastructure (read: linemen) for the future. The assets the Bills have are just getting older and are wasting away in the weeds while sucking up a lot of money.

I have no confidence in the current management to pick or utilize players properly even with resources at their disposal.

Again...why are we so eager to trade proven players for unknown potential? Why should we be confident that this front office and coaching staff is going to be capable of drafting and developing the young player acquired via this trade?

Again...why are we so eager to trade proven players for unknown potential? Why should we be confident that this front office and coaching staff is going to be capable of drafting and developing the young player acquired via this trade?

Because the Bills need a blue-chip QB. Jim Kelly was a top 15 pick, and that was the last time they drafted a QB that high. It's also the last time they were good. Also, the coaching staff probably isn't going to be around come next April.

You just can't say stuff like this and be credible. Teams have quick turnarounds in the NFL every year.

New coach, free agents, draft choices & you can turn around a team in a year. There is no rational reason to think the Bills are out of next year's playoffs based on this season. Look around the league-the best example is last year's Dolphins who went from 1-15 to the playoffs because things got changed with the coach & gm. Usually a quick turnaround is due to coaching. The Bills will have a different coach next year & with the right one, playoffs are very possible.