So we're blowing up the Moon in a couple days

DrDawkinstein

ok, maybe not blowing it up exactly. but we are crashing some awesome stuff into it to "see what happens". should be pretty awesome. wish i was farther west so i could see it!

Space Ships to Crash Into the Moon This Friday!

my favorite quote:

Remember, we’ve never done this before. We’re not 100% sure what will happen, and big surprises are possible.

:beer:

ok, maybe not blowing it up exactly. but we are crashing some awesome stuff into it to "see what happens". should be pretty awesome. wish i was farther west so i could see it!

Space Ships to Crash Into the Moon This Friday!

my favorite quote:

:beer:

We actually did something similar with the Apollo missions, but couldn't aim it or have the instruments to analyze it. The third stage of the moon missions was fired to send them towards the moon. After extraction of the LEM, the stage continued on to smash into the moon. After Apollo 11, they analyzed the impacts with seismographs they left.

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moon-dance

With the stars up above in your eyes

A fantabulous night to make romance

'Neath the cover of October skies

I'm sure mead107 & mrs. mead107 will have a nice red and just wait for the cheese to fall. :beer:

Not me though. I'm just hoping to get some cheddar on my popcorn that I've had ready all season. :lol:

Wait, I'm confused. I read an article that stated NASA doesnt have enough money to send manned missions back to the moon.

So other than for academic knowledge why spend 79 million dollars to see if there is ice/water on the moon?

We actually did something similar with the Apollo missions, but couldn't aim it or have the instruments to analyze it. The third stage of the moon missions was fired to send them towards the moon. After extraction of the LEM, the stage continued on to smash into the moon. After Apollo 11, they analyzed the impacts with seismographs they left.

Not many people know that the day before Apollo 11 landed on the moon, the russians accidentally crashed a probe into the moon, in an effort to "land before us" and transmit data from the surface before the moonwalk.