JP and the Las Vegas Locomotives

bbillsfan87

Even if Trent fizzles out in buffalo, I would bet you a lot of money he won't be out of the league next year.

Of course there is no way to do this but that is a bet that I would consider taking. Buffalo is kind of like the opposite of New York in that Frank Sinatra song of the same name. "If you can't ...make it there....you can't make it ....anywhere"

That's not exactly a knock on Trent. It's more to the point that our acceptable level of performance and development of QBs is so low and our inability to acquire competent ones probably stands out more on a QBs resume than anything else.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can indeed say it without a doubt.

That doesn't mean you're right, but I have no doubt that you can move your mouth and throat in a way that would produce those words.

The Bills, in 2006, found out what kind of offense JP was good at running, and immediately steered away from it, closing down the playbook.

And now they've found another promising young QB who seems somehow unable to progress. Gosh, couldn't be the situation, could it? Only the haters can say that it definitely isn't.

As I said before, we'd better hope that Trent can do better, and I do think he can. But in the current situation, he has yet to show much of a sign that it's possible.

Yeah, the SAME OC took the SAME successful offense with the SAME successful QB, WRs, TEs, OL, RBs and DELIBERATELY decided all this success needed to come to a stop.

Ridiculous. Clueless. Choose the adjective. Regardless, anyone who believes the Bills simply closed down that successful playbook from 2006 just doesn't know what they're talking about and aren't observant of the game. Why am I not surprised?

DCs made it a point NOT to get beat by Evans over the top after the Texans game in 2006. DCs TOOK IT AWAY. Fairchild didn't scrap it. There's a big difference. The few times we did get single coverage on Evans and tried, BOTH JP and TE didn't get the job done. And it continues today with the big difference being Edwards would rather take any positive play vs. any negative play. I'm not saying that's always a good thing, either, BTW.

JP never was nor will ever be capable of consistently being the type of QB that HAS to be patient enough to manage long drives. That's the biggest reason he's not in the league right now. He's a one-trick pony whose one trick happens to be the easiest one for DCs to take away.

He's got one HELLUVA canon for an arm, though.

Yippee.

GO BILLS!!!

LOL. Way to cherry pick those stats. Why not stop trying to fool us and use his stats from the years that he was the opening day starter :rolleyes: This is the kind of thing that keeps arguments raging on. People should responsibly use stats to support a "relevant" point. JP was headed out the door before the handful of games he played last year in relief of an injured Edwards against some very good teams.

ahhh,

it's all starting to make sense now

Yeah, the SAME OC took the SAME successful offense with the SAME successful QB, WRs, TEs, OL, RBs and DELIBERATELY decided all this success needed to come to a stop.

Ridiculous. Clueless. Choose the adjective. Regardless, anyone who believes the Bills simply closed down that successful playbook from 2006 just doesn't know what they're talking about and aren't observant of the game. Why am I not surprised?

DCs made it a point NOT to get beat by Evans over the top after the Texans game in 2006. DCs TOOK IT AWAY. Fairchild didn't scrap it. There's a big difference. The few times we did get single coverage on Evans and tried, BOTH JP and TE didn't get the job done. And it continues today with the big difference being Edwards would rather take any positive play vs. any negative play. I'm not saying that's always a good thing, either, BTW.

JP never was nor will ever be capable of consistently being the type of QB that HAS to be patient enough to manage long drives. That's the biggest reason he's not in the league right now. He's a one-trick pony whose one trick happens to be the easiest one for DCs to take away.

He's got one HELLUVA canon for an arm, though.

Yippee.

GO BILLS!!!

Correction. Trent couldn't get it done! JP could, always did, throw the long ball successfully. DCs didn't take it away. We lost that ability when we put in Trent who by comparison has a significantly weaker arm. The assertion that JP was ineffective throwing the long ball prior to Edwards getting the start is not correct. I remember one game where JP came of the bench to fill in for an injured Edwards and pretty much the first thing he did was throw a bomb to Lee Evans.

Not to be argumentative but on this you are wrong. There are a lot of things JP sucked at and potentially DCs took away BUT IT WASN'T THE LONG BALL.

"Chicks dig the long ball!"

Correction. Trent couldn't get it done! JP could, always did, throw the long ball successfully. DCs didn't take it away. We lost that ability when we put in Trent who by comparison has a significantly weaker arm. The assertion that JP was ineffective throwing the long ball prior to Edwards getting the start is not correct. I remember one game where JP came of the bench to fill in for an injured Edwards and pretty much the first thing he did was throw a bomb to Lee Evans.

Not to be argumentative but on this you are wrong. There are a lot of things JP sucked at and potentially DCs took away BUT IT WASN'T THE LONG BALL.

Ya, but what chicks like even better "are guys who can get it up, often"

So I assume we are talking about Trent who never gets it up nor goes balls deep so to speak?

listen Pmommy, it's clear that you rail on Trent every opportunity you get for one reason, and that is because Losman was your guy. Get over it!

listen Pmommy, it's clear that you rail on Trent every opportunity you get for one reason, and that is because Losman was your guy. Get over it!

ANH Party foul. JP is gone. Well over it. I just exposed some attempts at revisionist history that defense took the deep ball away from JP. WRONG.

I guess it will never stop but just because you are critical of Edwards and his "short comings" (LOL...TOO funny) doesn't mean you want to resurrect JP Losman. Not that you pay attention but I have said SOOOO many times he wasn't the answer either.

Pmommy...lol...Just a tiny bit childish aren't we? I would expect no less though I guess.

Revisionist history. There's a wide open Evans against Denver in the 2007 opener that could have won the game had JP been "always successful" throwing the long ball. That's just ONE long-ball attempt. Do I really have to dig up ALL his incomplete long passes?

The game you recall was the Jets in the Meadowlands where JP came off the bench for an ineffective and then injured Edwards and hit Evans long on a pass that was underthrown and should have been interecepted except for the play Evans made to wrestle the ball away. Ironically, that was one of JP's WORST looking bombs.

I've never seen ANY QB, let alone Losman, ALWAYS have success throwing the bomb. On what planet do these QBs exist and where can I get tickets to watch them?

But you're right. It makes more sense to believe that our OC would DELIBERATELY (the attempt against the Broncos notwithstanding) change his successful offense and force his NAMED STARTING QB to have to do something else OTHER than what he's been successful at.

That's FAR easier to believe than DCs seeing that JP/Evans could hurt them quickly in single coverage and making that the focal point of their schemes against our offense. Which is exactly what happened after the Houston game in '06.

GO BILLS!!!

Revisionist history. There's a wide open Evans against Denver in the 2007 opener that could have won the game had JP been "always successful" throwing the long ball. That's just ONE long-ball attempt. Do I really have to dig up ALL his incomplete long passes?

The game you recall was the Jets in the Meadowlands where JP came off the bench for an ineffective and then injured Edwards and hit Evans long on a pass that was underthrown and should have been interecepted except for the play Evans made to wrestle the ball away. Ironically, that was one of JP's WORST looking bombs.

I've never seen ANY QB, let alone Losman, ALWAYS have success throwing the bomb. On what planet do these QBs exist and where can I get tickets to watch them?

But you're right. It makes more sense to believe that our OC would DELIBERATELY (the attempt against the Broncos notwithstanding) change his successful offense and force his NAMED STARTING QB to have to do something else OTHER than what he's been successful at.

That's FAR easier to believe than DCs seeing that JP/Evans could hurt them quickly in single coverage and making that the focal point of their schemes against our offense. Which is exactly what happened after the Houston game in '06.

GO BILLS!!!

Do you think maybe Mr.Jauron changed the offense gameplan. We all know that he plays everything the safe way. Like punting on 4th and 1 when your down by two scores with little time left. What safer offense? short passes and checkdown everychance you can ,settle for FG offense. Throwing the ball down field higher chance to turnover. Thats why he went with Edwards because Edwards will throw the ball to the runningback on 4th and 20 with time running out. He has that in his head. Thats what the coach wants. Play it safe offense. Joke offense.

Do you think maybe Mr.Jauron changed the offense gameplan. We all know that he plays everything the safe way. Like punting on 4th and 1 when your down by two scores with little time left. What safer offense? short passes and checkdown everychance you can ,settle for FG offense. Throwing the ball down field higher chance to turnover. Thats why he went with Edwards because Edwards will throw the ball to the runningback on 4th and 20 with time running out. He has that in his head. Thats what the coach wants. Play it safe offense. Joke offense.

Jauron, Mularkey and the NFL all gave up on Losman. Losman sucked as a NFL QB. Let's move on.

So you assumed I meant he successfully completed every single one? Are you kidding? Seriously? NO QB in history has ever done that. Throughout his tenure as a starter he has been a successful long ball thrower. Make no other assumptions. Don't read into it and neither of us will look silly.

I seem to recall that being a successful completion for a ridiculous number of yards in the air. How about you? I think this speaks to the point I have made of "trusting your WR". Funny how JP and Lee were able to make these plays where Trent's occasional jump ball Lee is reaching back over the DB to get.

As stated above. Me neither. Duh!

I have no idea what you are talking about. Please show me where I said anything in reference to that. [insert standard rant about not putting words in my mouth here]

GO BILLS!!!

Could be wrong on this but when did I mention ONLY JP/Lee??? I said JP could throw the deep ball prior to losing his starting job and also referenced one game where he came off the bench and pretty much immediately hit Lee for a bomb. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I WAS ONLY TALKING ABOUT JP TO LEE. Just an example of JP going deep in the same game, same situation, same coaches, same WR, against the same team where Trent couldn't.

Sorry to give you the slam dunk but take a look at just the LONGEST completions to a single WR over 25 yards over his last six games. This means that WR might have also had other long completions from JP that just weren't as long as their SINGLE longest. Not being condescending on "that" point but that statement honestly could be confusing. It also includes I'm sure some run after the catch but I think it easily speaks to his ability to throw the long ball well after Houston in '06.

30 Parrish

77 Reed

37 Evans

33 Royal

27 Reed

52 Reed

37 Evans

52 Evans

As you'll see Evans wasn't the only guy that could get big completions. Even Reed was in there.

So you assumed I meant he successfully completed every single one? Are you kidding? Seriously? NO QB in history has ever done that. Throughout his tenure as a starter he has been a successful long ball thrower. Make no other assumptions. Don't read into it and neither of us will look silly.

I seem to recall that being a successful completion for a ridiculous number of yards in the air. How about you? I think this speaks to the point I have made of "trusting your WR". Funny how JP and Lee were able to make these plays where Trent's occasional jump ball Lee is reaching back over the DB to get.

As stated above. Me neither. Duh!

I have no idea what you are talking about. Please show me where I said anything in reference to that. [insert standard rant about not putting words in my mouth here]

Could be wrong on this but when did I mention ONLY JP/Lee??? I said JP could throw the deep ball prior to losing his starting job and also referenced one game where he came off the bench and pretty much immediately hit Lee for a bomb. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I WAS ONLY TALKING ABOUT JP TO LEE. Just an example of JP going deep in the same game, same situation, same coaches, same WR, against the same team where Trent couldn't.

Sorry to give you the slam dunk but take a look at just the LONGEST completions to a single WR over 25 yards over his last six games. This means that WR might have also had other long completions from JP that just weren't as long as their SINGLE longest. Not being condescending on "that" point but that statement honestly could be confusing. It also includes I'm sure some run after the catch but I think it easily speaks to his ability to throw the long ball well after Houston in '06.

30 Parrish

77 Reed

37 Evans

33 Royal

27 Reed

52 Reed

37 Evans

52 Evans

As you'll see Evans wasn't the only guy that could get big completions. Even Reed was in there.

I will say this. In 35 career starts that Losman has made he has thrown for under 200yrds in 26 of them. 8 of those 26 games he actually threw for under 100yrds. The thought that he is some kind of gunslinger is a myth. He is not a good deep ball qb, not mid range qb, not rinky dink qb. He is not a good qb at all. There is not one facet of his game that he was good at & that is why no team was even willing to give him a backup spot at qb.

FLBillsfan, not that it was any secret what your agenda is, but you have shown your true colors with that last comment. I do not know what we have in Edwards(I think he is going to be a good one) but I am willing to give him the year to find out. Hopefully it works out.

QUOTE (C.Biscuit97 @ Oct 1 2009, 01:23 PM) *

Jauron, Mularkey and the NFL all gave up on Losman. Losman sucked as a NFL QB. Let's move on.

:thumbsup: I am with you. We have moved on from JP, now let's move on from Trent.

As much as I bash Trent because some people still can't objectively see his flaws I think he deserves more time. I really do. I'm not sure if it is until the end of the year or not but I would make that a deadline. As I stated before he needs to show me a couple things.

1) Hit WR over 12yds in the air in stride SPECIFICALLY Owens and Evans

2) Be effective against a healthy 3 - 4 defense

Honestly, if he does those things he could be a fine NFL QB. He'll never be a big arm throw it down the middle of the field or wedge it into tight double coverage QB. But he COULD be very good. So far I think it less than 50% likely he will become that but he needs more time if not for anything else to put controversy behind us as fans to say we gave him his shot, he didn't step up like the last chumps we had in here.

I will say this. In 35 career starts that Losman has made he has thrown for under 200yrds in 26 of them. 8 of those 26 games he actually threw for under 100yrds. The thought that he is some kind of gunslinger is a myth. He is not a good deep ball qb, not mid range qb, not rinky dink qb. He is not a good qb at all. There is not one facet of his game that he was good at & that is why no team was even willing to give him a backup spot at qb.

FLBillsfan, not that it was any secret what your agenda is, but you have shown your true colors with that last comment. I do not know what we have in Edwards(I think he is going to be a good one) but I am willing to give him the year to find out. Hopefully it works out.

JP had a gunslinger mentality. Doesn't mean he was good at it....lol. Many gunslingers ended up dead just like Losman.

If he is not a good deep ball QB please compare and contrast him to Edwards as a deep ball QB. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. I dare ya. lol. One thing that we have going for us with JP is that he is fortunately not our QB anymore and can't hurt us. Can we say the same of Edwards and his deep ball?

Serious question:

Would you rather be JP playing for Fassel in the UFL or Trent playing for Dick and the Bills? Honestly, JP might be in the better situation right now.

That's kind of a loaded question.

IF (and that's a big if) JP learns and develops his game while under the tutelage of Fassel, then, yes, JP is in the better situation. If JP continues to be the same JP, then, no, he's not in a better situation. The UFL is JP's last gasp.

In Trent's case, even if the Bills dump Dickie J at the end of the year, Trent is still good enough to be a back up either on this team or some other team.