Oops...SNL f bomb

Beerball

SNL was particularly terrible last night.

Keenan Thompson is the worst. They always have him do impersonations of people. The problem is, his voice always sounds the same, so every impression is just Keenan with a different costume on. I don't understand what his purpose is on the show or how he keeps getting on the air.

Probably because Seth Meyers sucks as head writer, as Weekend Update anchor, and as a comic. SNL's gone thru so many cast changes and 'dark periods' and has usually rebounded, but the current cast seems particularly devoid of comic talent.

Time to pull the plug for good on SNL, I think.

I missed most of last night's show (watched a heavyweight championship fight instead). I did manage to catch most of Weekend Update (horrible) and one U2 song (horrible).

Seth sucks on Weekend Update. He's almost Colin Quinn bad. While I like Keenan at times, the "Zoot Allures" thing is crap. Kristin Wig may be the best thing about that show now, but the "Just Kidding" woman wasn't funny the first time, and gets worse every time I see it.

And spare me the U2 worship. Bono's preening is unwatchable and the music is ordinary, IMO. Someone will have to explain to me why The Edge is considered a great guitarist by some.

Probably because Seth Meyers sucks as head writer, as Weekend Update anchor, and as a comic. SNL's gone thru so many cast changes and 'dark periods' and has usually rebounded, but the current cast seems particularly devoid of comic talent.

I agree about Seth.

As for pulling the plug, I'd like to see them make some dramatic changes first. As you note, SNL has rebounded in the past, and from casts worse than this, IMO. There are too many "attitude" members (who I think were picked to appeal to a specific demographic) and too few who have real sketch comedy chops. A guy like Phil Hartman is desperately needed, on this show.

But I think its the writing that is suffering the most, as you noted as well. They are relying on too many recurring sketches that just aren't funny. I'm not a big fan of too many recurring bits, but if you have to have them be more selective in what you pick.

I don't get it. I've not really heard anything good about SNL in years but people still watch it. :unsure:

i'll say there were a few good/ even great episodes last season surrounded by mediocrity.

that said the majority of the board is not the target audience for the show anymore. Most of you guys are older than the deomgraphic that they aim for :)

i'll say there were a few good/ even great episodes last season surrounded by mediocrity.

that said the majority of the board is not the target audience for the show anymore. Most of you guys are older than the deomgraphic that they aim for :unsure:

So what you're saying is that the younger crowd are the only ones who can appreciate crap humor? Yeah, I'll buy that.

that said the majority of the board is not the target audience for the show anymore. Most of you guys are older than the deomgraphic that they aim for :unsure:

Agreed, but I'm immature enough to still get most of the jokes. I thought last season's finale with Will Ferrell was great.

[Rant]

The lament of "SNL sucks now and should be ended before it sullies the past" is tired. You folks have to get over yourselves. 90% of the skits have always sucked. Sketch comedy is very difficult to pull off. The good ones stick out in your mind because they're so rare. Then you get stuck in the muck of confirmation bias every time you see a new bad one.

[/End of Rant]

However, I would really like to have Norm MacDonald back at the Update desk.

Time to send in Mike Leach?

[Rant]The lament of "SNL sucks now and should be ended before it sullies the past" is tired. You folks have to get over yourselves. 90% of the skits have always sucked. Sketch comedy is very difficult to pull off. The good ones stick out in your mind because they're so rare. Then you get stuck in the muck of confirmation bias every time you see a new bad one.[/End of Rant]

This is a good point, but I'd say it's more like 70%-90% of the skits have always sucked, depending on the cast. Right now we are firmly at the 90% rate and few of the current cast show much talent at all.

Of course, I rarely watch it anymore because everytime I do it's awful.

I missed most of last night's show (watched a heavyweight championship fight instead). I did manage to catch most of Weekend Update (horrible) and one U2 song (horrible).

Seth sucks on Weekend Update. He's almost Colin Quinn bad. While I like Keenan at times, the "Zoot Allures" thing is crap. Kristin Wig may be the best thing about that show now, but the "Just Kidding" woman wasn't funny the first time, and gets worse every time I see it.

And spare me the U2 worship. Bono's preening is unwatchable and the music is ordinary, IMO. Someone will have to explain to me why The Edge is considered a great guitarist by some.

U2's music is mostly non-descript these days, but Edge IS a great guitarist. The new music direction is taking him down.

As for SNL, I just watched Megan Fox's lame (other than her in that dress!) monologue, part of the first skit, and went to sleep. I wouldn't cancel the show either, but fire everyone and start over.

Keenan Thompson is the worst. They always have him do impersonations of people. The problem is, his voice always sounds the same, so every impression is just Keenan with a different costume on. I don't understand what his purpose is on the show or how he keeps getting on the air.

I was laughing during his old man sex video skit, but I think it was mainly because I was dropping the stinkiest farts and my girlfriend wasn't even smelling them.