Steve Johnson

MavBavButav

I like Johnson as much as anyone else, to a certain point, but if he can't beat out Roscoe to get on the field that's his own fault. If he was THAT good he would be on the field regardless of who was in front of him on the depth chart initially. People need to be realistic with their expectations for this guy. We've had this arguement over, and over, and over, and over again. Which one of his ten whole receptions last season, or his six whole catches in preseason, make you believe that he is that much of an asset? He does need to be on the field to progress, but he obviously isn't showing enough in practice to beat out the guys we already have playing right now. Get over it. If he's good enough, he'll be out there when he proves it.

I like Johnson as much as anyone else, to a certain point, but if he can't beat out Roscoe to get on the field that's his own fault. If he was THAT good he would be on the field regardless of who was in front of him on the depth chart initially. People need to be realistic with their expectations for this guy. We've had this arguement over, and over, and over, and over again. Which one of his ten whole receptions last season, or his six whole catches in preseason, make you believe that he is that much of an asset? He does need to be on the field to progress, but he obviously isn't showing enough in practice to beat out the guys we already have playing right now. Get over it. If he's good enough, he'll be out there when he proves it.
o

Thank you! The only sensible comment about Steve Johnson.

He was a big time player his senior year at Kentucky. Unfortunately for him, that was his only season pretty much. If he had two or three equal seasons to back that one up, he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He caught a big time game winning touchdown to beat LSU his senior year. I'm not saying that this kid is going to be amazing, but I'm trying to justify for you why there is more than his 10 career catches to back up everyone's excitement about the guy.

I would like to see Steve Johnson get more playing time too, but if the coaching staff feels he his not ready yet then we just need to be patient.

Johnson will get his opportunities some time this season. Let's remember he is only in his second season, and I'm fine if they do not rush him.

I think the only reason Roscoe is starting over Johnson is his ability to return punts (and a fantastic one). If it were to be a WR to WR comparision I think Steve has shown much more abilities and potential to be a good WR. Roscoe may be a good WR, but this offense has not been able to utilize him.

Even if the 3rd WR (which is what Roscoe is) is a decoy if the ball is being thrown to Owens or Evans, wouldn't you want a 6" 2" strong WR rather than a 5" 10" small WR to do the blocking ?

The problem is we are not going to be able to keep Roscoe inactive (Just the nature of the business), when we do not have a Punt returner on the team, whereas we do have at least three guys (Evans, TO, Jackson) who can catch the ball.

I think the only reason Roscoe is starting over Johnson is his ability to return punts (and a fantastic one). If it were to be a WR to WR comparision I think Steve has shown much more abilities and potential to be a good WR. Roscoe may be a good WR, but this offense has not been able to utilize him.

Even if the 3rd WR (which is what Roscoe is) is a decoy if the ball is being thrown to Owens or Evans, wouldn't you want a 6" 2" strong WR rather than a 5" 10" small WR to do the blocking ?

The problem is we are not going to be able to keep Roscoe inactive (Just the nature of the business), when we do not have a Punt returner on the team, whereas we do have at least three guys (Evans, TO, Jackson) who can catch the ball.

Roscoe is the 4th WR. Reed is the 3rd and Reed plays with a huge heart and makes clutch grabs.

Hamden lovefest>Steve Johnson lovefest

There is some truth to what you said, but not completely, the reality is that we can only afford to field X amount of WR's for each game, the fact that Roscoe is still out there doesn't so much portend to the fact that he is a better WR in the view of the Bills coaches, but in my view of the value of reserving his roster spot more so for his return abilities and occassional WR duties.

Josh Reed is clearly the better slot WR, he was made for that role, so to say that Steve Johnson should be ahead of these 4 at this point I would say is inaccurate. So, I wouldn't say it is a matter of not "showing enough in practice to beat out guys we already have playing right now".

I will go out on a limb to say that if T.O isn't resigned next year that Steve Johnson will be one of our 2 starting WR's.

Everytime he gets on the field he produces, and I wouldn't expect that to change moving forward.