Bills Sign Jamon Meredith

LABills08

Who did you want them to spend big money on? Runyan? Levi Jones? Bring Langston Walker back... none of them will fit the no huddle. Not to mention what's the problem with our line right now? Our offense through 2 games is performing better than it has in 10 years. I'm fine with the youth movement.

THIS!

old teams get older, young teams get BETTER

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont we need that teams permission? whats the point of having someone on "your squad" if its open season on him

So the players can develop, and the teams have enough bodies to run scout team. Plus it is nice to have a few players that know your system available to be signed quickly and get in games if needed.

Also keeps some young warm bodies in game shape to be signed in case of injury, by any team that needs them. Is closest thing NFL has to a development league, although its not really a league, and they cannot play in games, as no one owns their rights. The can practice with the team, and are paid, but usually are used to simulate the opponents teams for practices.

Incorrect as I posted earlier. A player can choose whether to sign an offer or not which means he could have spoke to Green Bay first.

Yeah, but what guy in his right mind is going to pass on the opportunity to be on someone's 57 man roster, making at the very least the rookie min which has to be at least $300,000 per year, to stay on his drafting team's practice squad for $15k or 30K or whatever it is now for PS?

And for everyone saying that Green Bay must not think much of him because they didn't move him up first, the obvious obstacle is that they would have to cut or IR someone first. If Chad Clifton is going to be back soon, obviously they ain't gonna IR him.

Yeah, but what guy in his right mind is going to pass on the opportunity to be on someone's 57 man roster, making at the very least the rookie min which has to be at least $300,000 per year, to stay on his drafting team's practice squad for $15k or 30K or whatever it is now for PS?

And for everyone saying that Green Bay must not think much of him because they didn't move him up first, the obvious obstacle is that they would have to cut or IR someone first. If Chad Clifton is going to be back soon, obviously they ain't gonna IR him.

Plus the fact they already waved him once. Not greatest way to keep players loyal to you. If they wanted him, and had him in plans for team, most likely they would have kept him and he'd be being paid a 5th rounders contract, rather than practice squad money.

If he get an offer from a team that has a need, and is willing to increase his pay substantially, do you think he is going to say, no let me see what the Pack's have planned for me first, or jump on the money.

He is a free agent for all intents and purposed, so if he wanted, he could have had his agent work the phones, but I doubt he doest that, since there are not allot of positions available at this point, and who knows if they sign someone else rather than wait for an answer.

the pack are pretty set at Oline, they took a flyer on this guy in the 5th round because he was there, and it turned out they didnt have a spot for him. still i bet theyre kinda disappointed he got away.

Some of you guys are just too much :thumbsup:

This to me appears to be a fantastic pickup. Everything I have read about him tells me that he is a prospect with a very high ceiling. He has well above average speed and strength, he is a self motivated individual with a high IQ.

Of course, the bipolar headless chickens on this board would rather have us pick up a tackle like Levi Jones or Runyan or some other has been that no other team in this league is willing to sign. Idiots <_<

It's quite clear to me that he Meridith is a developmental player that could turn out to pay big dividends for us at some point in the future.

The FO might see something in his speed/mobility which fits in very well with what we are trying to do on offense now. I wonder if they even feel he might challenge Scott as the season progresses...

BTW - a player signed off the practice squad always receives the minimum rookie slaray?

Another John Guy jem.

Like San Jose Bills Fan said, this move had nothing to do with John Guy...this was all about our College/Draft staff

and then maybe what the coaches saw in the preseason. And since we were looking for OTs in the draft they probably scouted this guy out and knew a lot about him. Despite what many say about Brandon being a marketing guy, we have had some real good drafts under his watch and with Nix added to the mix it looks like our College staff is pretty darn good, so I'm excited about this move...homegrown Oline is going to be better than journeyman or past-their-prime vets line, the youngs guys may stumble here and there, but the future is looking good.

The professional scouts and coaching staff who brought us Langston Walker, Duke Preston, Melvin Fowler, Jason Whittle, Tuten Reyes, Derrick Dockery, and traded our only ProBowl lineman over the past decade? You mean that coaching staff and group of professional scouts?

Now these moves were John Guy (except for letting Peters go)...I guess we know where the weak link on the staff is and why the team may have gone in the direction they did this time around. And I'm sure the way our young (smart/athletic) Olinemen are playing probably gave the coaches/FO some confidence to go with another young (smart/atheletic) guy.

Everyone was so worried that we didn't draft an OT after Peters left...and now its basically like we did, a fifth rounder

with a lot of potential that some had projected as high as the 2nd round.

And did you see the kid's arms and shoulders in video 3 that gflande1 posted on page 7?

He appears better suited to be a RT, GB had him working LT. Either way, I would much rather see them signing young potential then old run down talent at the end of the road. Both are risky, and the young talent has higher potential for reward...

The direction of the O line is the most encouraging sign for the future.

Like San Jose Bills Fan said, this move had nothing to do with John Guy...this was all about our College/Draft staff

and then maybe what the coaches saw in the preseason... Despite what many say about Brandon being a marketing guy, we have had some real good drafts under his watch and with Nix added to the mix it looks like our College staff is pretty darn good, so I'm excited about this move...

I have a feeling that this was ALL Buddy Nix. Before he came to Buffalo from San Diego, he was the South Eastern region scout for them. IMHO, Nix still specializes on players from that part of the country and with Meredith having gone to U South Carolina, I believe it was Nix who spotted him.

Nix is pretty good at scouting OTs too. He found Marcus McNeil, who went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie a few years ago.

The negativity here is ridiculous over a backup OT. If we had drafted this guy in the 5th round, there'd be a line out the door to wash his balls and proclaim him the next Jason Peters. Now we get him for free and he automatically sucks??

Why not just wait and see if he sucks with your own two eyes when he gets on the field rather than pretend like you know what youre talking about based on reading a few news articles, that are generally positive?

Has anyone on the board ever seen him play?