Is there any term fruitier than the the word "Swagger"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hearing this term being used in reference to football. It started last season, and has become a term I hear in just about every other football article, and it has popped up on this board a lot lately. It sounds truly fruity, and makes the people that use it seem like tools.

It's been around a lot longer than last season. As a Bills fan I am sure you must have heard it in reference to Jim Kelly. I don't think it is fruity. I think it is something that is required in a QB. We have been looking for a QB with some swagger since the departure of Kelly (though I think Flutie had some swagger, just not a hold on the starting job). I think we are starting to see some swagger in Trent. Monday night he looked loose before the game. Gave me some confidence. I recall the Cleveland Monday night game last year, during pregame he looked like a scared little girl.

I am all for swagger. And I am sure there are much fruitier terms.

I prefer my team display a workmanlike confidence as they rip your throat out. 'Swagger' in the context of sport is meaningless. A bunch of goofballs talking smack or prancing about with exaggerated gestures is not a measure of confidence or competence. It's a myspace page or a Black Eyed Peas video. Unfortunately, it's easier to regurgitate the same vapid cliches instead of offering real analysis.

Poise = doing your f'in job

Physicality.

My God that word sucks. So many better ways to convey the point but the meat heads stick with one of the worst words ever created.

I dont know about fruity but it is overly trendy. ESPN has worn it out talking about Miami U. I just wish they knew what a bunch of parots they sound like.

When a bunch of crusty white dudes in suits start using it, the word is no longer cool. As far as my teams, I like them having it.

Why are you so afraid of gay people?

Who's afraid of them? Are you really that stupid? Some people are willing to acknowledge what every sane person knew before and that they are crazy and no one wants to hang out with them because of it. I wish they would grow up and become men and start acting like them.

What used to be a psychotic anomaly is now phrased in an argument of fear.

I dont know about fruity but it is overly trendy. ESPN has worn it out talking about Miami U. I just wish they knew what a bunch of parots they sound like.

Get it right you wanker, It's U. Miami. The "U"

Miami U is in Ohio

btw, it's 'parrots.'

Where do I mention homosexuality?

In fact, I would hope that we start hearing about how "Butch" the defensive line is becoming.

Maybe "butch" will become the hot new word in sports.

Now you are just being coy, and its sooooooo cute.

Here is what "fruitier" means, the word among all other you chose to best convey your meaning:

1. Of, containing, or relating to fruit.

2. Tasting or smelling richly of or as if of fruit.

3. Excessively sentimental or sweet.

4. Slang Crazy; eccentric.

5. Offensive Slang Homosexual.

Since 1, 2 and 3 would make no sense in the context you were using it, that leaves either offensive slang for gay or "eccentric". Snice it would have been quite easy to come up with a word that more clearly meant crazy and only that, it is apparent that you didn't mean that either. "Crazy" also would be quite a stretch for describing use of the word "swaggering". I'd also be willing to bet that offensive slang for gay is the far more common usage of fruity than is eccentric. I find it hard to beleive that you meant "crazy" and rather than use a word that meant simply that, chose instead to use a word that is so often used as offensive slang.

No one knows what is in your head or your heart where true intentions reside but based on what you actually said, you can't really complain at the rational conclusions drawn therefrom. Not knowing you, I would give you the benefit of the doubt as not really having meant to offend.

Certainly, when it comes to that kind of thing, there are far, far, far worse comments around here. It is too often the first insult out of the box when posters go at it.

Now you are just being coy, and its sooooooo cute.

Here is what "fruitier" means, the word among all other you chose to best convey your meaning:

1. Of, containing, or relating to fruit.

2. Tasting or smelling richly of or as if of fruit.

3. Excessively sentimental or sweet.

4. Slang Crazy; eccentric.

5. Offensive Slang Homosexual.

Since 1, 2 and 3 would make no sense in the context you were using it, that leaves either offensive slang for gay or "eccentric". Snice it would have been quite easy to come up with a word that more clearly meant crazy and only that, it is apparent that you didn't mean that either. "Crazy" also would be quite a stretch for describing use of the word "swaggering". I'd also be willing to bet that offensive slang for gay is the far more common usage of fruity than is eccentric. I find it hard to beleive that you meant "crazy" and rather than use a word that meant simply that, chose instead to use a word that is so often used as offensive slang.

No one knows what is in your head or your heart where true intentions reside but based on what you actually said, you can't really complain at the rational conclusions drawn therefrom. Not knowing you, I would give you the benefit of the doubt as not really having meant to offend.

Certainly, when it comes to that kind of thing, there are far, far, far worse comments around here. It is too often the first insult out of the box when posters go at it.

Wow, you should change your name to Micktionary!

Where do I mention homosexuality?

In fact, I would hope that we start hearing about how "Butch" the defensive line is becoming.

Maybe "butch" will become the hot new word in sports.

The offensive line is playing like a bunch of bears through the first two games. The LB's are still a playing like twinks from time to time, however.