Where are all the WGR-calling-Captain Checkdown whiners?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Trent was still checking down a lot today. He still seems afraid to pull the trigger. Hopefully today is a step out of his checkdown obsession.

Yeah, that long pass the Evans for a TD or the pass that Owens dropped and Owens' TD. Totally afraid to pull the trigger. Smart QBs take what they get from the defense.

Yeah, that long pass the Evans for a TD or the pass that Owens dropped and Owens' TD. Totally afraid to pull the trigger. Smart QBs take what they get from the defense.

I think Edwards threw more long balls today than he has in the last 8 games combined...I was shocked to see the Bills actually look like a normal NFL offense you see playing around the league throwing deep passes...

Trent Edwards has now played two really solid football games back-to-back. Can I hear at least one person say, "hey I was wrong, you were right, I kind of forgot that preseason really doesn't mean all that much?" Just one?

With all due respect, prior to this game Trent did everything possible to earn that nickname. Fortunately, he and AVP made it an emphasis to throw the ball deep today and it clearly worked. Not only did it help us today, but it'll give teams a lot more to think about in the coming weeks. Just as all Defensive Coord.s have to think about screens to Jackson, now they have to consider long balls to TO and Evans.

It was a great game plan. I especially liked the considerable use of 5 receivers/empty back field in the 4th. It worked quite well.

This week was a classic "run to set up the pass" game. That last TD drive (and the drive where Trent threw that abysmal preseason-caliber INT) were all set up by FreeJack gouging the Bucs all day long on the ground, so that they had to bring the SS up to the box. That's how TO got singled up on Talib for the score.

It's gonna take more that 3 long pass attempts in one game to shake that moniker. I'm not taking away from his performance today, but today was a rare day for trent. Let's hope he tests DBs more often going forward. Hopefully this was a confidence builder game...

With all due respect, prior to this game Trent did everything possible to earn that nickname. Fortunately, he and AVP made it an emphasis to throw the ball deep today and it clearly worked. Not only did it help us today, but it'll give teams a lot more to think about in the coming weeks. Just as all Defensive Coord.s have to think about screens to Jackson, now they have to consider long balls to TO and Evans.

It was a great game plan. I especially liked the considerable use of 5 receivers/empty back field in the 4th. It worked quite well.

Bingo!

It was great to see the Bills go long on occasion, today. Trent will need to to this a few more times in order to lose his check-down rep. He may have been more precise last week, but the Bills will win more games if Trent plays the way he did today, more often.

Bingo!

It was great to see the Bills go long on occasion, today. Trent will need to to this a few more times in order to lose his check-down rep. He may have been more precise last week, but the Bills will win more games if Trent plays the way he did today, more often.

He'll also have to show he can threaten deep consistently. He had the TD's to Evans and Owens (++), one brilliant throw to TO that he dropped, one horrid throw to Evans that fortunately hit the turf, and that one horrific overthrow to an open Evans for the pick. All in all a net plus, but that minus came at a real bad time. Fortunately the team was able to overcome it.

Bingo!

Agreed. I can even live with the INT. All QBs throw them. But you have to make the defense play the whole field. That's what the long ball does for you.

It's gonna take more that 3 long pass attempts in one game to shake that moniker. I'm not taking away from his performance today, but today was a rare day for trent. Let's hope he tests DBs more often going forward. Hopefully this was a confidence builder game...

is it possible the check downs were a part of TS's gameplans the past 2 years? I would say Trent's first two games in AVP's offense have proven him as more of a legitimate QB as he's put us in position to win 2 games, and if not for dropped balls would have a completion % of 70%. I'll take that any day.

is it possible the check downs were a part of TS's gameplans the past 2 years? I would say Trent's first two games in AVP's offense have proven him as more of a legitimate QB as he's put us in position to win 2 games, and if not for dropped balls would have a completion % of 70%. I'll take that any day.

Interesting take on it.

It was nice to see Trent open up a little bit today. We have 2 of the better deep threats in the game. One of them should have a big game one of these weekendsBut much of that depends on not only AVPs gameplan but on the D coordinator.

Putting a ton of attention on them both=163 yd days for Freddie.

Interesting take on it.

Time will only tell, but after the last 10 games last year and pre season this year, I'm pretty happy with our O. When healthy (and with ML back), we could have a pretty scary offense. Please Trent, go down and stop taking hits though...

Time will only tell, but after the last 10 games last year and pre season this year, I'm pretty happy with our O. When healthy (and with ML back), we could have a pretty scary offense. Please Trent, go down and stop taking hits though...

right on.....our O line pick ups have done well this year..Im surprised they have gelled reasonably quickly. Altho there is more progress to make.

Pleeease Trent go down faster...he took one nasty hit to the head today---yikes

I'm sure it played somewhat of a part. The complaints or rumblings about TS were that he ran a extremely complicated play calling. Nothing complicated about Owens and Evans as your 2 top receivers.

This was the tale of two offenses. They were aggressive and exciting early and then got very conservative and Trent seemed to fall into his old habits of quickly moving away from downfield looks and taking the underneath stuff. Then they finally decided to be aggressive again and put it away.

Jackson was a beast.

Trent showed me a lot today. I've not been a big fan of his so far. But I liked the aggressiveness and throwing downfield. He answered any question I had about airstrength. His bomb to T.O. (the one T.O. dropped) was awesome. That thing was in the air 50-60yds and did not float. It was a rope. Very impressive. I also like that they went back to T.O. later in the game to give him a chance to make up for the drop.

What a game. What a beautiful weather day in Buffalo. The fans were load and proud at the stadium. All in all, a great day to be a Bills fan (for a change).

Agreed re: that empty backfield set up. The Bills have a stable of talented ballcatchers, they shouldn't be afraid to use them. On an unrelated note, I also loved the TO and Roscoe backfield handoffs. Just mixing up the play-calling in general is a recipe for success.

Actually, Trent was still checking down a lot today. He still seems afraid to pull the trigger. Hopefully today is a step out of his checkdown obsession.

3 long pass attempts? :lol: FYI....He is 6th in the league in yards per completion and 5th in the league in QB rating. Don't let facts get in your way though. Do you guys know what a checkdown is?