religion

I claim no absolute knowledge about anything, unlike you.

wrong again, Gene. You've claimed dozens of times in this thread that God DOES NOT EXIST.

Not MAY not. Not MIGHT not. DOES not. That is a word of absolute certainty. That is a word of ABSOLUTE knowledge.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that, Gene? Why do people do those kinds of things? Is it because of our genetic makeup? Is it because of some latent chimp gene? As far as I know, no chimp's ever car-bombed the tribe the next tree over. It's because human beings are all born with sin. Got kids? What's the first word a kid learns to speak? NO.

That's right, ask any parent and they'll tell you, NO is the first word just about every kid ever learns. The penultimate word of defiance and selfishness. And really, all evil is sefishness. And selfishness, Gene, selfishness is at the root of all sin. So we're born with sin, whether you like it or not. And DESPITE whatever good deeds we do, we can't overcome that sin. That's where the salvation thing comes in to play, Gene, but you...no, you've got it all figured out. You don't need any salvation, right? You're not a sinner, right? I mean, if there's no God, then you can't possibly be intransigent.

See where I'm going with this? The guy who crosses his arms in the corner and states with all authority possible to him that "God does not exist" is just like the child that won't eat his broccoli. It's because that guy doesn't like what the message, the TRUTH, has to say, so he refuses to accept it looking for answers elsewhere. How do I know this? IT USED TO BE ME.

:rolleyes:

Your obvious knowledge of evolution is clearly illustrated by your chimp gene remark. Priceless! Did you know that more than 95% (conservatively) of your DNA is indistinguishable from chimp DNA? Maybe more for you!

I have two children and both of their first words, much to my delight, was 'Da-Da'. Of course they called everything 'Da-Da' for a while! 'No' came later, but it certainly came. What exactly do you think that proves again? It's pretty amusing where you were going with that. Proof of god and original sin! That's !@#$ing classic.

Finally, I make no absolute claims. I do not believe in god, but that doesn't mean the same thing as 'I'm positive god doesn't exist'. It's obviously a subtle difference that you're not picking up on. Let me try to help:

When you say 'I'm absolutely sure god exists', that is an absolute claim.

When I say 'I don't believe in god', that is a conclusion I've come to that is absolutely non-absolute.

wrong again, Gene. You've claimed dozens of times in this thread that God DOES NOT EXIST.

Not MAY not. Not MIGHT not. DOES not. That is a word of absolute certainty. That is a word of ABSOLUTE knowledge.

no wrong again joe...

atheism is saying there is no evidence of god, not that there is no god. there is no reason to believe that there is a god because there is no evidence, doesnt mean there is no god.

christians are claiming there is a god, they are claiming knowledge here, atheists are not....

Quite on-topic, Douglas Adams was a great Skeptic and Athiest...

How many roads must a man walk down?

What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

Either way.

Alternately: What percentage of Americans are completely retarded?

Never mind, 42 is far too low.

9*6=54.

You just upped the %.

Your obvious knowledge of evolution is clearly illustrated by your chimp gene remark. Priceless! Did you know that more than 95% (conservatively) of your DNA is indistinguishable from chimp DNA? Maybe more for you!

I do know that, Gene. I've taken science courses. I keep up on scientific advances. In fact, I'm just as excited as the next guy when a new discovery is announced. Why? Because it gives us more insight into the beauty of God's handiwork. See, unlike you, I'm open to other ideas. I can have faith in the unseen while seeking to understand the visible world. To me, it's not a zero-sum thing. But to you, it is. If you can't see it, you can't believe it. So YOU would have been a flat-earther back in the day because you couldn't PROVE that the world was a sphere. Schocking, I know. :rolleyes:

When I say 'I don't believe in god', that is a conclusion I've come to that is absolutely non-absolute.

So then you're an agnostic. You're just not sure that God doesn't exist. Or maybe not. Or maybe today you really are an atheist. Or maybe you're just an amoeba.

Really, he is a figment of his imagination and can't prove otherwise. P.S. There are no absolutes that can be proved/proven and to the extent that there are absolutes, we can never know them.... That is why there is a need for faith.

But he has a priori evidence that he isn't imaginary... :rolleyes:

I do know that, Gene. I've taken science courses. I keep up on scientific advances. In fact, I'm just as excited as the next guy when a new discovery is announced. Why? Because it gives us more insight into the beauty of God's handiwork. See, unlike you, I'm open to other ideas. I can have faith in the unseen while seeking to understand the visible world. To me, it's not a zero-sum thing. But to you, it is. If you can't see it, you can't believe it. So YOU would have been a flat-earther back in the day because you couldn't PROVE that the world was a sphere. Schocking, I know. :rolleyes:

Did you know that you can tell that the Earth is not flat by watching a ship sail over the horizon? The top of the mast is the last thing to disappear. Your flat-earther bit was not a very good example in that the shape of the Earth is evidence-based and testable. Personally, I'm open to any idea that is backed by evidence or at least a reasonable explanation. Your 'man in the sky' story just doesn't make the cut.

So then you're an agnostic. You're just not sure that God doesn't exist. Or maybe not. Or maybe today you really are an atheist. Or maybe you're just an amoeba.

I have little use for labels really. I personally don't believe in god, at least not anything resembling what you're talking about. Something must have started it all, but there's no evidence of what that might be so people make up stories to make themselves feel better and cope with their own mortality. For me personally, that is an unacceptable and intellectually dishonest sentiment.

To my understanding, an agnostic has no opinion either way. Some people think this is a wishy-washy way to keep from saying one's an atheist. I think it means that someone has finished thinking it through or just can't make themselves take the leap. By this definition, I was an agnostic for a long time before fully turning to the dark side. An atheist is one who does not believe in god. Atheism is different than religion in that atheism is not an absolute statement.

I've read them. It was not my point.

When a Scrabble-playing caveman spells out forty two, Arthur Dent pulls random letters from a bag, but only gets the sentence: "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"

"Six by nine. Forty two. That's it. That's all there is."

"I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe."

When a Scrabble-playing caveman spells out forty two, Arthur Dent pulls random letters from a bag, but only gets the sentence: "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"

"Six by nine. Forty two. That's it. That's all there is."

"I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe."

Brilliant. Again, I never understood the fascination with Adams' work by some people. Different strokes, I suppose.

Brilliant. Again, I never understood the fascination with Adams' work by some people. Different strokes, I suppose.

Adams' work is very creative...but is best described as "absurdist", which is definitely not for everyone.

It is probably worthwhile, though, wikipediaing "bistro maths"...

He opens with a nice indictment of the human race. Something about how humans took the best and nicest one of us who ever lived (in the Joe in Macungie belief system) and nailed him to a cross to suffer a horrible death.

Adams' work is very creative...but is best described as "absurdist", which is definitely not for everyone.

It is probably worthwhile, though, wikipediaing "bistro maths"...

I always wanted to open a restaurant called Bistro Math but wasn't sure if the people who'd get it would be too small of a demographic. So I went with Bistro Idol instead. Made my first million in six months.

He opens with a nice indictment of the human race. Something about how humans took the best and nicest one of us who ever lived (in the Joe in Macungie belief system) and nailed him to a cross to suffer a horrible death.

And not only that, exchanged him for a terrorist.