religion

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, s'pose a guy is on death row...how does he decide which religion to suddenly embrace? If his jailers are Moslem, does he embrace Islam? If he's in prison in Arizona does he subscribe to the infallability of Il Papa? Does Baptist immersion carry the day in an Alabama slamma'?

Is religion in the 21st Century as situational as it seems?

Do the Gideons make Bibles available in every cell?

Unfortunately there are nuts and extremists in all the major religions that take things too far. That doesn't mean the tenants of religion are illegitimate, just the crazies. I am not advocating one over another, just that this discussion is for lack of a better word, off base and brings credence to the crazies.

Does it make sense to be a sports fan? I mean, to blow a ton of time and money rooting for a bunch of rich strangers to outscore other rich strangers in a game that has nothing to do with your own life seems to be the most irrational thing a person can do. Why bother? Why "BILLIEVE" in a team of people you'll never know, owned by someone you'll never know, and then get your heart broken when these rich strangers who could care less about you personally scores fewer points than the other rich strangers?

Let's face it, being human requires a certain suspension of disbelief.

Does it make sense to be a sports fan? I mean, to blow a ton of time and money rooting for a bunch of rich strangers to outscore other rich strangers in a game that has nothing to do with your own life seems to be the most irrational thing a person can do. Why bother? Why "BILLIEVE" in a team of people you'll never know, owned by someone you'll never know, and then get your heart broken when these rich strangers who could care less about you personally scores fewer points than the other rich strangers?

Let's face it, being human requires a certain suspension of disbelief.

You need to understand, if liberals can't make fun of people who believe in a higher power, then all that's left is labeling opponents as greedy, capitalist racists who will simply never be smart enough to understand how a cooling world is the first sign of global warming. Mocking people who believe in a higher power is a big part of their arsenal, and trying to reason with them about it is a waste of time. The best thing to do is to sit back and have a laugh while they use the same breath to defend Reverand Jeremiah Wright.

Someone gimme a "Thank ya, Jesus!!"

You need to understand, if liberals can't make fun of people who believe in a higher power, then all that's left is labeling opponents as greedy, capitalist racists who will simply never be smart enough to understand how a cooling world is the first sign of global warming. Mocking people who believe in a higher power is a big part of their arsenal, and trying to reason with them about it is a waste of time. The best thing to do is to sit back and have a laugh while they use the same breath to defend Reverand Jeremiah Wright.

Someone gimme a "Thank ya, Jesus!!"

Blah, blah, blah. No part of that rant says anything on topic, but no real suprise. When your beliefs are questioned and you have not a rational leg to stand on, just lash out at how mean and unfair the big bad Liberals are. What a joke.

Unfortunately there are nuts and extremists in all the major religions that take things too far. That doesn't mean the tenants of religion are illegitimate, just the crazies. I am not advocating one over another, just that this discussion is for lack of a better word, off base and brings credence to the crazies.

But isnt it extreme to think that the creator of the universe has written a book, ie the bible.. or what about people rising from the dead... this on its face is extreme and rediculous...

44% of americans believe a dead person is coming back... this isnt a marginal group here....

Well let's see... the most vicious and evil people of the last century killed more than all other centuries combined and they were godless seculars who ascribed to evolutionary beliefs in the perfect society. Yeah, it was those crazy religious people.

Secondly, the other false premise is that you lump all religions together as if you can lump all secularists together (see I did that above using your faulty premise and it sucks doesn't it?). So should I lump all secularists as Hitlers and Stalins with a little Pol Pot on the side?

You my friend are a dumbass. Give me a Catholic like Mother Teresa over all you guys and the world would be a better place. Rather have one true Christian who really practices the faith than a bunch of morons all about themselves and can only think of how to bash others rather than understand what is best or good. Hell give me a guy like Aristotle over you idiots.

Well let's see... the most vicious and evil people of the last century killed more than all other centuries combined and they were godless seculars who ascribed to evolutionary beliefs in the perfect society. Yeah, it was those crazy religious people.

Secondly, the other false premise is that you lump all religions together as if you can lump all secularists together (see I did that above using your faulty premise and it sucks doesn't it?). So should I lump all secularists as Hitlers and Stalins with a little Pol Pot on the side?

You my friend are a dumbass. Give me a Catholic like Mother Teresa over all you guys and the world would be a better place. Rather have one true Christian who really practices the faith than a bunch of morons all about themselves and can only think of how to bash others rather than understand what is best or good. Hell give me a guy like Aristotle over you idiots.

Factually incorrect. Intellectually dishonest. Logically ridiculous.

Your belief system is under attack here, so it's understandable, if just a little bit sad.

Even if you're given a pass on all of that and we assume that everything in your statement is accurate, it proves nothing. You're still left with just a crackpot theory that lots and lots of people buy into it. A younger, more rational generation is leaving organized religion in droves, partly because of the hypocrisy of these institutions, but mostly because science continues to explain away everything we needed religion for in the first place.

Good riddance!

Factually incorrect. Intellectually dishonest. Logically ridiculous.

Your belief system is under attack here, so it's understandable, if just a little bit sad.

Even if you're given a pass on all of that and we assume that everything in your statement is accurate, it proves nothing. You're still left with just a crackpot theory that lots and lots of people buy into it. A younger, more rational generation is leaving organized religion in droves, partly because of the hypocrisy of these institutions, but mostly because science continues to explain away everything we needed religion for in the first place.

Good riddance!

Well to be fair, while science can explain a lot of (earthly) things, it can't explain everything.