religion

Again, a really stupid comment. Science by definition is the opposite of the supernatural, and therefore cannot prove or disprove its existence. Come on...it really isn't that hard to understand once you take your blinders off.

Where do the supernatural claims come from and why should they be given consideration?

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does that matter?

You're kind of talking in circles. Unsubstantiated claims are completely worthless and only limited by imagination. Anyone can make up anything supernatural and there's no refuting it if it's not provable. If it's not provable then why believe in the fantasy?

You're kind of talking in circles. Unsubstantiated claims are completely worthless and only limited by imagination. Anyone can make up anything supernatural and there's no refuting it if it's not provable. If it's not provable then why believe in the fantasy?

Apparently you are not smart enough to understand what the term supernatural means.

By most accounts, Einstein's insistence that god exists held back his science in his later years. That's simply the opinion of many historians and many of his peers and in no way diminishes any of his wonderful, ground-breaking accomplishments. At wost, it sent him down a dead-end path in his later years. Maybe another discovery or two if not for his hang-ups. Maybe not.

However, while "smartest among us" did not know, his belief was in a god who started things in motion long, long ago. He did not believe in a personal god. He believed in a god who does not break the laws of Physics, who did not interfere in the Universe in any way and who does not answer prayers or even have anything at all to do with the day-to-day of you or I. He actively shielded his belief by stating that he did not think that any evidence of such a being would or could ever be found and that no test could either prove or disprove god's existence. It doesn't really matter what he believed. I just bring it up because a lot of people like to quote Einstein out of context to make him out to be some kind of proponent of organized religion, which he was not.

Einstein, like everyone else could believe anything he wanted to of course. But I think you illustrate my point. Einstein was most likely unable to let go of hang-ups because they were so ingrained in his being. He was human after all. At some point in their lives, most thinking humans go through some sort of a crisis of faith in what they were brought up believing. As science advances there are fewer gaps in which god fits nicely. The fewer gaps you start with, the lesser god becomes and the more likely your crisis of faith will push you over the edge into disbelief. It seems to me that we may be approaching a tipping point here. More and more people are leaving the churches every year.

In the end, one cannot prove or disprove the existence of anything supernatural, including god. Science has no language to deal with such things because such things can't be tested using the scientific method. So...any plea to the rationality of religion is illegitimate because religion is not a rational thing. So Jesus Christ coming again to judge the living and the dead, or Poseidon shoving his trident up your ass or even the Flying Spaghetti Monster showering the planet with meatballs all have just about the chance of happening. And all three are far, far, far, far, far less likely than 'none of the above'. So believe whatever the hell you want because it just doesn't matter.

Einstein did not go down a dead end path in his latter years. It was his search for a unifying theory of forces that occupied his time.[Yet to be realized] Religion played no factor in this. But you may wish to call it one of his "hang ups"

I'll pray for understanding tonight and will let you if it smartens me up enough to believe some solid supernatural claims.

You do that, but first you may want to look up the definition of supernatural and note that it's quite different than the definition of science. If this lesson causes you to suddenly believe in claims that cannot be measured scientifically that's your business.

Einstein did not go down a dead end path in his latter years. It was his search for a unifying theory of forces that occupied his time.[Yet to be realized] Religion played no factor in this. But you may wish to call it one of his "hang ups"

He famously rejected the basic tenets of quantum theory - mainly he had a problem with the non-deterministic nature of the whole thing, the fact that at a quantum level, everything is based on probability instead of actual state. This prompted the famous quote you paraphrased about god not throwing dice. Unfortunately, much of Einstein's intuition about quantum mechanics has so far been off the mark. Which, like you said, has nothing to do with religion because Einstein was not religious.

You do that, but first you may want to look up the definition of supernatural and note that it's quite different than the definition of science. If this lesson causes you to suddenly believe in claims that cannot be measured scientifically that's your business.

The reading comprehension part of the SATs was pretty difficult, huh?

Again, a really stupid comment. Science by definition is the opposite of the supernatural, and therefore cannot prove or disprove its existence. Come on...it really isn't that hard to understand once you take your blinders off.

what is supernatural, what do u mean? its like saying blalodsfjowdfnoawinf... define what mean and tell me why we should respect any religion if its just a fantasy....

define what mean and tell me why we should respect any religion if its just a fantasy....

Because there is MOSTLY a good moral message behind most religion. Moral messages are hard to explain scientifically. How do you scientifically teach people to have good social conscience? Look at most of the dolts here that preach science is king... They wouldn't know what it is to be a compassionate human being even if that idea bit them on the ass. IMO, science alone leads people to the "it is all only about me" beliefs.

what is supernatural, what do u mean? its like saying blalodsfjowdfnoawinf... define what mean and tell me why we should respect any religion if its just a fantasy....

Seriously? :rolleyes::angry: Are you really this dense, or is this a joke? Here, just for you and your equally "challenged" friend...

super·natu·ral (so̵̅o̅′pər nac̸h′ər əl)

adjective

1. existing or occurring outside the normal experience or knowledge of man; not explainable by the known forces or laws of nature; specif., of, involving, or attributed to God or a god

Seriously? :rolleyes::angry: Are you really this dense, or is this a joke? Here, just for you and your equally "challenged" friend...

super·natu·ral (so̵̅o̅′pər nac̸hər əl)

adjective

1. existing or occurring outside the normal experience or knowledge of man; not explainable by the known forces or laws of nature; specif., of, involving, or attributed to God or a god

so with this definition will u concede it explains nothing, and that the idea of classical religion ie noahs ark is insane...