Top 10 Bills Stunning Losses

HarkinBanks

12/18/88 @ Indy - Bills clinch home-field with a win. Bills go up 14-3 in the 4th, but Gary Hogeboom led the Colts to drives of 80 and 75 yards to put the Colts up 17-14 with 1:18 to play. Bills final drive ends at mid-field after a 1st down catch is wiped out by a procedure penalty and then Kelly is sacked on 4th down.

Gotta love Relentless

Let me make it worse... Washington's Chip Lohmiller has a chance for the winning field goal against Cincinnati (I think it was a 4 p.m. game) and craps the bed. If he makes the FG, Bills have HFA in the '88 season.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're about to go "1 for the 00's" to the Pats. Have we beaten the Pats this decade, besides the 31-0 home opener in I believe '03?

Rubes - maybe your tickets need to be revoked as it seems you should not be allowed to attend games. :)

Anyway, somehow 0 for the 70's as a group has to make the list. I know it does not fit the "game" idea but man some of those losses were just absurd, if not painful.

12/18/88 @ Indy - Bills clinch home-field with a win. Bills go up 14-3 in the 4th, but Gary Hogeboom led the Colts to drives of 80 and 75 yards to put the Colts up 17-14 with 1:18 to play. Bills final drive ends at mid-field after a 1st down catch is wiped out by a procedure penalty and then Kelly is sacked on 4th down.

Gotta love Relentless

So glad someone said it...this was a CRUSHING loss....and probably cost us a chance at Super Bowl 23

Here we go -- from 1996, one of the most heartwrenching rollercoaster seasons EVER.

(courtesy Billszone)

it literally took me MONTHS to recover from this loss.

I remember that one, watching the end of the game, I thought it might have been earlier in the season. Still, didn't we make it to the playoffs that year only to lose against the Jaguars?

One of the ones that stand out to me was a game in 1997 against the Broncos at home. Alex Van Pelt came in during the 3rd quarter and rallied a huge comeback out of no where and Steve Christie nailed a 55 yearder or something like that on the final play of regulation to tie it at 20 going into overtime. After losing the coin flip we still got the ball because Denver wanted the wind in their direction. The reverse play at the beginning of overtime had me shaking my head for a long time and Jason Elam made around a 32 yarder to win it for the Broncos in overtime.

9. Losman’s Last Laugh 2008 (Bills are running out the clock, Losman fumbles on a bootleg and Jets run it back for winning TD)

10. Fill in the blank

This is really an impressive list when you think about all the different ways you can blow a game.

Go Bills.

so glad he is not here anymore. he was a bad luck kind of a guy... the 1 thing that he shouldn't have done, he does.

1. Wide Right: Giants Super Bowl 1991 (My seat was pretty lousy and I actually thought the kick was good!)

2. Home Run Throwback: Titans Playoffs 2000 (Titans score on forward lateral on kickoff after “winning” touchdown drive by Bills)

3. Harmon's Drop: Cleveland Playoffs 1990 ((Harmon's dropped pass in the end zone on the potentially winning play)

4. New England Nightmare: MNF 2009 (McKelvin fumbles the kickoff with 2:00 left and the Bills up by 5)

5. Dallas Debacle: MNF 2007 (Cowboys recover onside kick and hit 53 yard field goal to win the game)

6. Cleveland Collapse: MNF 2008 (Cleveland makes a 56 yard field goal with a minute left, Buffalo misses a 47 yard field goal at the end of the game)

7. Season Opener 2004 (Jags win on last play, Leftwich to Wilford after Clements should have knocked down an earlier pass and killed the drive)

8. Season Opener 2007 (Elam and the Broncos field goal unit scrambled onto the field to convert a 42-yard attempt just as time ran out)

9. Losman’s Last Laugh 2008 (Bills are running out the clock, Losman fumbles on a bootleg and Jets run it back for winning TD)

10. Fill in the blank

This is really an impressive list when you think about all the different ways you can blow a game.

Go Bills.

Great list. What is interesting is that reading this made me re-live the strange feeling that we Bills fans expersience more than any other fan base. This sense of skeptical euphoria followed by a sinking dread and an I can't believe they sucked me in again aftermath. Several of my friends and relatives discussed this feeling this week, where you don't want to believe we can finally close out a tough game, you finally give in and enjoy the moment and then watch in dread as it falls appart right before your eyes. Both my son (8) and my nephew (13) have said to my brother and I at seperate times. "i'm not sure if I want to be a Bills fan anymore because it hurts my heart when they lose." I know the feeling.

I remember attending a game against the Baltimore Colts (late 70's I think). If memory serves, Buffalo was up 28-0 at halftime. Buffalo lost the game. They simply could not stop Bert Jones in the second half. The colts kept running this same screen play over-and-over again and Buffalo could not stop it. Unreal. I think Bills lost 35-28 or something like that.

Dempsey's missed FG on opening day in '79 (I believe) as time expired. To this day, that one hurts. How the :censored: can you miss from that close?!?

Yes. For those of us old enough to remember, that's a top 10 for sure. September 2, 1979 -- BILLS LOSE 19th STRAIGHT TO DOLPHINS

Tom Dempsey missed a 34-yard field goal on the final play, preventing the Bills from beating Miami. The Dolphins escaped with their 19th straight victory over the Bills, 9-7, in front of 69,441 at rain-soaked Rich Stadium, which was deluged by a storm in the fourth quarter.

Great list. What is interesting is that reading this made me re-live the strange feeling that we Bills fans expersience more than any other fan base. This sense of skeptical euphoria followed by a sinking dread and an I can't believe they sucked me in again aftermath. Several of my friends and relatives discussed this feeling this week, where you don't want to believe we can finally close out a tough game, you finally give in and enjoy the moment and then watch in dread as it falls appart right before your eyes. Both my son (8) and my nephew (13) have said to my brother and I at seperate times. "i'm not sure if I want to be a Bills fan anymore because it hurts my heart when they lose." I know the feeling.

Have you seen "Buffalo 66"? It's not exactly what you're talking about, but I think it really captures some of the essence of being a Bills fan.

Yes. For those of us old enough to remember, that's a top 10 for sure. September 2, 1979 -- BILLS LOSE 19th STRAIGHT TO DOLPHINS

Tom Dempsey missed a 34-yard field goal on the final play, preventing the Bills from beating Miami. The Dolphins escaped with their 19th straight victory over the Bills, 9-7, in front of 69,441 at rain-soaked Rich Stadium, which was deluged by a storm in the fourth quarter.

Ooooo...very faint memories, but definitely deserves to be on the list...top 5.