With Poz out, could Bills move Maybin to LB?

Max Fischer

For starters, Kelsay is also hurt, so they don't have enough depth at DE to try what you are suggesting.

On top of that, Maybin has essentially no experience at LB. It would be outright crazy to try to teach him a whole new position from scratch in only a few days.

hee hee.....outright crazy -- Russ's new marketing slogan...

Draft a tackle and a center and have them play guard

Draft a tackle last year who had only played 2 years of college ball and start him in his second year

Fire your OC 10 days before the season starts

Cut your starting LT 6 days before the season starts

Start a line that has the least collective starts of any OL in almost the history of the modern game

Maybin at LB probably won't happen...but geez it might be a cake walk.

Draft a tackle last year who had only played 2 years of college ball and start him in his second year

Start a line that has the least collective starts of any OL in almost the history of the modern game

Then go on Prime time TV and almost upset the SB favorite that was supposed to destroy you and blow you out

For starters, Kelsay is also hurt, so they don't have enough depth at DE to try what you are suggesting.

On top of that, Maybin has essentially no experience at LB. It would be outright crazy to try to teach him a whole new position from scratch in only a few days.

Looks like Poz is out for 6 to 8 weeks, so he wouldn't have to learn overnight. From what I can tell, it didn't take Suggs (no doubt a special player in a 3-4 system) to become an elite LB.

All of which seem to be working pretty well so far.

Looks like Poz is out for 6 to 8 weeks, so he wouldn't have to learn overnight. From what I can tell, it didn't take Suggs (no doubt a special player in a 3-4 system) to become an elite LB.

Since one of the requirements of a LB is duribility, POZ is now looking sort of brittle. Two broken arms in three years.....time to look for a long term solution at MLB,,,POZ appears , at best , to be a part time player until we get a more durible player. Didn't Mitchell play MLB with KC before his stint at NYG? Anyhow, the Maybin idea might work...Green Bay converted one or more of their DE's to OLB when they went to the 3-4 this year. Maybin is young and rangy....I like the idea. And Ellison was burned twice by Watson Monday night...he was 10 yards late on the first one...and made the late tackle in the end zone on the second TD....he played well otherwise...but defending the pass means knocking it down or lose. And the OLB has to cover the TE upon occasion. Need help at LB for sure.

Big difference, Suggs had training camp to prepare and more importantly it was the 3-4 alignment. Big difference between an outside 3-4 LB and a 4-3 LB.

The Pats are not SB favorites? You may want to alert the media, players, coaches, this board . . .

Just calling it like I see it. Losing Seymour was devastating. Not a coincidence, the Bills moved the ball with considerable effectiveness. While Vrabel and Bruschi were long in the tooth, and Mayo & Guyton are ridiculous athletes, there is something to be said for experience.

All those moves seem to be working OK to me

so far

Pats have 5 new starters on D. I would hardly call them SB favorites.

Well they are. Have you looked at the power rankings. The funny thing is the bills almost beat them yet they are #1 andthe bills are # 21 I love the fact they don't justify their ranking this year.

Speaking of Kelsay, anyone know his status/severity of his injury? Is he def out for awhile?

Just calling it like I see it. Losing Seymour was devastating. Not a coincidence, the Bills moved the ball with considerable effectiveness. While Vrabel and Bruschi were long in the tooth, and Mayo & Guyton are ridiculous athletes, there is something to be said for experience.

Doesn't mean that every "expert" considers the Pats favorites. I've yet to see anyone who doesn't put them in the AFC Championship.

Well they are. Have you looked at the power rankings. The funny thing is the bills almost beat them yet they are #1 andthe bills are # 21 I love the fact they don't justify their ranking this year.
Doesn't mean that every "expert" considers the Pats favorites. I've yet to see anyone who doesn't put them in the AFC Championship.

I'm well aware of the national pundits and their uniformed opinions. Their offense is formidable but, as they say, defense wins championships and I think the Pats D is middle of the road right now. If the injury to Mayo is problematic, the Pats could be in trouble.

Seeing the Steelers and Chargers in week one doesn't lend much credo to my doubts about the Pats, but I hold my reservations until proven toherwise.

On Kelsay: This might sound terrible, but is anyone actually distressed by this? It will force Jauron to give Ellis and Maybin some time. I wouldn't mind seeing Spencer Johnson line up at DE either. Though the injuries to Poz and Kelsay make the releases of Thomas and Bryan look questionable. Though I will say, Kelsay was getting pressure on Brady in the 1st quarter.

On Maybin: Linebacker is not a position you can just throw someone into because of the coverage that is required. Maybin probably is agile enough to cover a TE, but I wouldn't like to see him defending a slot receiver like Welker or a pass catching RB . Maybin is versatile but in a really weird way. He is undersized for a DE, but oversized for a linebacker. Also, if he were to be a linebacker, he would fit in most easily in a 3-4, not in a 4-3.

Not sure what to do about Poz's absence, is there a definite timetable on him yet? My guess is he won't be back until week 9 or 10, but I hope someone proves me wrong.

Once again proves that Bills need to step up their activity in the free agent market. Once you get passed the starting 11, our depth is very inexperienced and raw. Talented? Probably. But, absolutely no veterans.

So, Maybin's not really a DE, and he's not really a LB, he plays "speed rusher" - not accountable/responsible for anything else.

Must be nice for Mr. Maybin. I've never heard of the position of "speed rusher"? Do we have a depth chart for that one?

You forgot:

Watch said OL dominate Vince Wilfork and the rest of the Pats for 59 1/2 minutes.

As a few have mentioned, he needs a training camp to learn the position and responsibilities, or at least enough time to learn it during the season, if they are even trying to teach him. If he would have signed early, they were talking about giving him reps at LB to see how he handled it but he hasn't played the position really before, that I am aware of. If we played a 3-4, different story, as they typically have a pass rushing LB, but not sure why would want to play him at LB if the main reason you drafted him, is his pass rushing ability, and we rarely rush LBs.

1. It's not even the second week of the season, justifications after one game are silly.

2. The Bills lost. Half the teams won. By default, you should place them at least below 15 or 16.

3. You have to earn your respect. The sooner this city learns that, the better.

4. Its a Power Ranking. That means some guy, who thinks he is better than you wanted to make a fancy list. It doesn't mean the entire nation lives and dies by it (and I'm not putting words into your mouth on purpose, I just really think people should stop letting ESPN get them in a bad mood.)