9/11 memory's

Jim in Anchorage

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i was watching the today show and they kept showing the first plane. i remember Matt Lauer stating something to the effect of "That was no accident" as the second plane go in....never entered my mind that it was a deliberate act. what a completely numb day and several days, weeks, months and years to follow

I turn the T.V. on at 10.20 AM EST[Knowing nothing at this point] NYC is obscured by smoke. Then #2 falls.

I thought it was all out war.

I turn the T.V. on at 10.20 AM EST[Knowing nothing at this point] NYC is obscured by smoke. Then #2 falls.

I thought it was all out war.

I took my son to school and was listening to a local sports commentator who complained as he said something like, "We aren't a news organization, but I have been handed a memo to tell you that a plane has struck the World Trade Center." They preceded to talk about other crap after that so I thought nothing of it. I was reading a thread about the Bills that was really long before I left to take my son to school, so when I returned I stayed in that thread a bit and read some others before I went to the news.

From the way I had heard it on the radio, I had assumed it was a small plane. So it was a bit before I realized what had happened. I turned on the TV. The 1st tower had already collapsed, and they showed replay after replay of that. I was essentially just staring at the screen in shock. Then the second tower collapsed and to be honest it was another minute before it soaked in, that wasn't a replay of the first tower.

My mind immediately jumped to Osama bin Laden. Make of that what you will. I immediately woke my wife at the time and explained what was going on. I also had a couple of shots and became real concerned as it seemed like war might have been started (not saying it wasn't but was certainly not all-out).

Watched much of live on television...saw the 2nd WTC plane live...seemed surreal, was talking to my brother on the phone...funny, I was very calm...basically said "we're at war" with somebody.

Hour or two later, they scrambled fighter jets along the east coast, and living 35 miles north of Baltimore, rather rural, the sound barrier breaking was eerie to hear...couldn't grasp what it was at first...sound kept ricocheting off ridges, trees, etc. Briefly thought Philly had been nuked.

Woke up at 6 AM PDT and hear on the radio the WTC has been hit. I run to the TV and turn it on seconds before the second tower is hit. In shock watching the towers fall. Went to work. About noon that day one of the guys at work showed us something shocking.

Our company had a place about halfway between Philly and NYC. Several people would go back and forth a lot. Bo, a guy that was criss-crossing the country a lot had flown back from Newark the evening of 9/10. He would buy several tickets and if he got done earlier, he would take the flight the night before, which he did . In 2001, there weren't the boarding passes you could print out at home. He would exchange the unused tickets for other flights the next week, etc. After the towers fell, he was looking at the passes he had and one of the unused ones was for Flight 93 (the one that crashed in PA)!

We know he wasn't BSing because he showed us the pass and it was real.

Someone else at work had a cousin die in the towers.

Woke up at 6 AM PDT and hear on the radio the WTC has been hit. I run to the TV and turn it on seconds before the second tower is hit. In shock watching the towers fall. Went to work. About noon that day one of the guys at work showed us something shocking.

Our company had a place about halfway between Philly and NYC. Several people would go back and forth a lot. Bo, a guy that was criss-crossing the country a lot had flown back from Newark the evening of 9/10. He would buy several tickets and if he got done earlier, he would take the flight the night before, which he did . In 2001, there weren't the boarding passes you could print out at home. He would exchange the unused tickets for other flights the next week, etc. After the towers fell, he was looking at the passes he had and one of the unused ones was for Flight 93 (the one that crashed in PA)!

We know he wasn't BSing because he showed us the pass and it was real.

Someone else at work had a cousin die in the towers.

How many of us can say "but for the grace of God" I just hope we don't forget.

I was driving to work listening to Imus in the Morning - they were having these news updates about a plane hitting one tower - at that point it was still being considered an accident.

When I got to work things were already turned up a notch with the second plane. There is a break room with a TV - by then people had gathered to watch - I remember standing there with everyone else thinking what the hell is going on. My most vivid memory is standing there in a room full of people and seeing the first tower go down - everyone else was mostly just stunned - but I will never forget one girl immediately breaking down crying - it really hit home then - we had ust witnessed hundreds of people die on live TV - and no one knew what else was going to happen next either.

I also remember picking up my kids from day care - they were like 3 1/2 - and we mentioned to them about the 'bad men' who flew the planes into buildings - not sure they really understood what was going on.

saw it on tv as i got up and thought it was a small plane, but got a call from my sister while i was in the shower and she said "are you watching this". And I said "yeah, a plane hit the tower" and she said "No...another one crashed into the other tower!". I'll never forget the moment she said that and the shock that hit my whole body as it all set in.

That day and week was a blur. My wife (gf at time) was in NYC and it took a few hours to get in touch with her. I probably knew 100 people who worked in the city, and the entire week was a flurry of emails / websites listing who was confirmed ok / rumors about people etc. All sorts of misinformation and rumors going around.

Everyone on the street was dead quiet, polite and friendly for weeks.

have a friend who was a few blocks away when one hit and the one thing he says that sticks in his mind is the whine of the engines on the plane when it hit - it wasn't like a plane landing where it is "coasting" in for a landing and relatively quiet - the plane was going fast and the engines were making a ton of noise.

I had just finished basic training for the Army Reserves about 3 months before and was about 3/4 of the way done with my secondary training at that point. I was taking my National Registry test to be qualified to be an EMT on Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio and was about halfway done when one of the officers came in and whispered something to the sergeant giving us the test, who then all but ran out of the room (we found out later that he had friends in the Pentagon).

I finished the test and came into a room with a TV just in time to see the second plane hit. For the first few minutes, I was thinking that we were watching a movie, but then realized that it was real.

It was super intense watching the drill sergeants and officers that had been in our nightmares for the last few months crying because they had friends/family that could have been involved.

I heard about it while listening to Howard Stern. Baba-booey I think came into the studio and mentioned the first plane hitting the tower. There was a lot of talk of how it was likely an accident, when I finally got to a TV and turned it on I saw the second plane hit and I was sick to my stomach.