Excerpts from Obama's Speech Tonight

IDBillzFan

Excerpts here.

Let me preface this by stating that I KNOW this "excerpts" and not the whole speech.

My two favorite parts:

1) Start with "Of the five committees asked to develop bills, four have completed their work, and the Senate Finance Committee announced today that it will move forward next week." and begin the close with "Here are the details that every American needs to know about this plan," followed with the same stuff we've been hearing "You can keep your plan, you can keep your doctor, etc." except I'm curious...when he says he is presenting the details "about this plan," which of the five plans on the table is he referring to? I mean, there IS NO SINGLE PLAN. There are FIVE prospective plans. So how can he tell everyone what's in it? He lays out the plans of the plan, but there is no single plan?

2) There will now be a new "insurance exchange," described as such: "a marketplace where individuals and small businesses will be able to shop for health insurance at competitive prices. Insurance companies will have an incentive to participate in this exchange because it lets them compete for millions of new customers. As one big group, these customers will have greater leverage to bargain with the insurance companies for better prices and quality coverage." So what is this insurance exchange? Is it government run? Is it a co-op? Are you now letting insurance companies compete across state lines? WHAT IS THIS NEW INSURANCE EXCHANGE? Did this phrase test well in focus groups? What does it mean?

I am hoping the excerpts NOT included can fill in some of those blanks.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"You're lying!"

When the dude said it Pelosi looked aghast. About 8 seconds later, without turning her head much at all she asked Biden "Who said that?".

Biden replied and I'm pretty sure he said "I think it was....." I couldn't make out the name.

I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about the influx of Canadians.

When the dude said it Pelosi looked aghast. About 8 seconds later, without turning her head much at all she asked Biden "Who said that?".

Biden replied and I'm pretty sure he said "I think it was....." I couldn't make out the name.

I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about the influx of Canadians.

It was Jacques LéCoq, no doubt. We should all be concerned about mandates for mandatory circumcision by the first estate. They just don't know when to stop.

Excerpts here.

Let me preface this by stating that I KNOW this "excerpts" and not the whole speech.

My two favorite parts:

1) Start with "Of the five committees asked to develop bills, four have completed their work, and the Senate Finance Committee announced today that it will move forward next week." and begin the close with "Here are the details that every American needs to know about this plan," followed with the same stuff we've been hearing "You can keep your plan, you can keep your doctor, etc." except I'm curious...when he says he is presenting the details "about this plan," which of the five plans on the table is he referring to? I mean, there IS NO SINGLE PLAN. There are FIVE prospective plans. So how can he tell everyone what's in it? He lays out the plans of the plan, but there is no single plan?

2) There will now be a new "insurance exchange," described as such: "a marketplace where individuals and small businesses will be able to shop for health insurance at competitive prices. Insurance companies will have an incentive to participate in this exchange because it lets them compete for millions of new customers. As one big group, these customers will have greater leverage to bargain with the insurance companies for better prices and quality coverage." So what is this insurance exchange? Is it government run? Is it a co-op? Are you now letting insurance companies compete across state lines? WHAT IS THIS NEW INSURANCE EXCHANGE? Did this phrase test well in focus groups? What does it mean?

I am hoping the excerpts NOT included can fill in some of those blanks.

Maybe you really are a moron. :) You should know by now there are five different committees and plans in both Houses, which will eventually become one bill in each of the two houses, which will eventually be one bill that is sent to the President.

Most of them have very similar stuff in them on the essential elements. If you don't know that by now, why even talk about it? Obama laid out 10 or so elements that must be in the final bill and pretty much all of them are in all of the bills and will be in the final bill. Hardly any of them are even controversial from Republicans. There are only controversies about whether or not there will be a "public option" as part of the exchange, how much the final bill will cost over ten years, and how they are going to pay for it. All of the other elements of the bills, and there are hundreds of them, are pretty much immaterial to the debate (not immaterial to the reform) and aren't going to stop it.

It's clear you have never bothered to read anything about what you are against, the exchange is the exact same thing he has been saying since this started and is in every bill being considered and hasn't changed. No, it's not at all government run, it's all private insurance companies offering a variety of plans of various levels and prices.

If there is a "public plan", which there will be, it will be ONE of the numerous options in the exchange. Like going to the Supermarket with ten kinds of cereal and one of them says "Government Chex" instead of Rice Chex or Wheat Chex or Life or Frosted Flakes or Count Chocula. You choose the one you want (if you are even eligible for the Government Chex, which most people would not be). The co-op idea would be the same, one of the options alongside the numerous private options. None of this has ever changed and was always there and was one of the main essential components of all plans. It's also something Republicans are not against.

I thought it sounded something like that as well. So far this speech is the usual stuff but the new Bill is going to make guys like Glen Beck and Keith Oberman shout even louder.

Also does anyone know who it was that said that?

Representative Joe Wilson of South Carolina.

This was right after the One said that critics of his plan were liars.

This was right after the One said that critics of his plan were liars.

A breach of protacol never before heard at a Presidential address. But it's not surprising. Part of the plan is demean Barack Obama so he appears not worthy of the respect his office affords. Also not surprising it came from some moonshine-running redneck from South Carolina who probably has a Klan robe in his closet.

PTR

A breach of protacol never before heard at a Presidential address. But it's not surprising. Part of the plan is demean Barack Obama so he appears not worthy of the respect his office affords. Also not surprising it came from some moonshine-running redneck from South Carolina who probably has a Klan robe in his closet.

PTR

Go Joe Go!

They should be like the speeches in Parliament. Ever hear one of Tony Blair's speeches?

Classless. In a better world, he'd be pressured to resign unless he did anything short of a complete mea culpa.

But in the world where you the president can lie under oath or completely botch an entire war and not pay a price, this will get 3 days of lip service and be forgotten.