I was just offered FREE NFL ST!

SDS

I understand your point, but I hardly feel sorry for DTV and it's monopoly on ST.

I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for DTV...

What would be an interesting discussion though is what happens to their ST pricing structure after this season? Now that gobs of people are paying $150 for it - are you going to pay $270 next year? Will you ever pay that again? Will you hate DTV with every fiber in your body if they dig in their heels and stick with $270...?

I may take them up on their $120 deal, but I'll never pay another dime more for it. If they want to offer it again to me next year - so be it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the info, Scott. I am moving in less than a month and have been really torn up about what I'm going to do. My DTV bill is too high. We're going to have to find some ways to save for the next year or two... but I really do like the DTV customer service and DVR, and of course watching the Bills live. I could live with the NFL Rewind option you posted, but I clearly remember saying to myself (only 8 short years ago) I'd never go back to cable.

We're in the same boat, Matt - moving at the end of the month and our DTV bill is getting out of control. I also swore I'd never go back to cable if I had a choice, but now I don't know what we're going to do. I think we're going to explore other options and see what kind of deal we can get from cable or ATT U-verse. I'd rather stay with DirecTV, but it's just too expensive right now.

What would be an interesting discussion though is what happens to their ST pricing structure after this season? Now that gobs of people are paying $150 for it - are you going to pay $270 next year? Will you ever pay that again? Will you hate DTV with every fiber in your body if they dig in their heels and stick with $270...?

I may take them up on their $120 deal, but I'll never pay another dime more for it. If they want to offer it again to me next year - so be it.

I just got off the phone with DTV to straighten some things out... Then I get on here and see this thread! Thinking about calling back now... :unsure:

I've had the NFL ST every year since 96'... At that time it was around $100 a year... It has gone up every single year, and I feel as if it is too much now, but I can't live without it at this point.

I'm paying the $270 "early bird"... They automatically add the early bird NFL package every year because I've been doing it so long... However the last couple of seasons I've gotten the "Superfan" as well... I didn't want to pay it this year ($100 extra) so I canceled it back in May... I've had to call 3 times now because they keep adding Superfan back on.. So tonight, they gave Superfan to me for free, free Showtime for 3 months and another $25 credit... Not nearly what SDS got, but I'll take it!

I may be calling back even though I agree with the moral issue... However I've been loyal to them for 13 years and given them a lot of money... and the NFL ST cost is beginning to get a little ridiculous... I hope their monopoly on it is over soon, so we can see some competition...

I thought about that already too. I think it's inevitable that they will raise it again. However, if they stick with $270, PLUS, the Superfan, then I would be back to thinking hard about going to FIOS.

The NFL is starting to become a joke, IMO. I mean, all the cool stuff that came out today from the Bills with the clothing in the "Legacy Collection". Tons of cool schitt. However, Hoody's at $96? $80? Long sleeve T-shirts at $38? I mean, it's a joke. Then, they charge you more shipping even at a time where the USPS is offering flat rate shipping on anything that will fix in the box. So in essence, you can get yourself an $88 hoody, and then pay $12 to ship it? Same with DTV's Sunday Ticket. You can get yourself the ticket and Superfan (which nobody wants) for $370? They are starting to get ridiculous with this crap.

With the Bills being bad, and me living so far away, I've been contemplating just switching season tickets to Penn State and sinking into college football. T.O. saved me this year, and making the Bills #2 right now still isn't in my cards. However, I can tell you, in the past, this thought never would have crossed my mind. Now it is. Just like FIOS over DTV is, and it's all related to the greed flowing out of the NFL.

I'm close. So, DTV can try me after this year, and they may be the one's that will see me call THEIR bluff. I'm close, but not quite there yet. Especially when I go to about 6 or 7 games a year.

I may be calling back even though I agree with the moral issue... However I've been loyal to them for 13 years and given them a lot of money... and the NFL ST cost is beginning to get a little ridiculous... I hope their monopoly on it is over soon, so we can see some competition...

if you are upset then call them and be truthful with your complaints. I think that is the right way to go, but not everyone agrees.

Personally, I would be pissed about all these side deals that are going on. Bob gets $150 and free SF, Tom pays $220... someone else pays something different.

if you are upset then call them and be truthful with your complaints. I think that is the right way to go, but not everyone agrees.

Personally, I would be pissed about all these side deals that are going on. Bob gets $150 and free SF, Tom pays $220... someone else pays something different.

Amen. Which is why some of us don't mind playing the game right back with them! At this present time, they are running their TV service like car salesman.

You're absolutely correct... and I feel cheated being a long time ST customer and seeing all of these special deals going on around me... I'm going to call them back...

You want everybody to take this "high road", while you consistently fail to realize that this is the game DTV set UP, themselves, and EXPECTS people to play with them. It's not like they TOLD me I had to have Choice packaging in order to get the Superfan for Free, I had to figure it out for myself. When I called to cancel NFL Sunday Ticket I MEANT to cancel it. The first offer they made was $10 off per month for six months. I was sitting there thinking, "Wow, that was kinda cool of them." (Like a TOTAL IDIOT). But I was serious when I told them that I was sorry but I'd still have to cancel, because the extra $34.50 per month was still too much. They then IMMEDIATELY, no putting me on hold, no "finaggling" with a supervisor, IMMEDIATELY offered me $20 off. BUT, they did go ahead and CANCEL my Superfan "for me", even though they KNEW what I would need to do (upgrade my base package) in order for them to offer it to me for FREE. I had to come here and read some thread about it and see that all these people got it for free, and that's all I needed to call DTV back and ask why I didn't get it for free, too. They then proceeded to give me the run around and started stamemring and speaking jibberish, so I hung up and re-read the thread. When I realized that everybody who was offered SF for free had Choice or better, it hit me. I called back, upgraded, and not only got SF for free, but they took the $10 monthly charge for HD service off for 12 months and gave me Starz/Showtime free for three months.

So, tell me, Mr. Honorable, who are the sheisters here? I'm gonna laugh when you stick to your story. Wait for it.........

I forgot the best part. They NEVER admitted that this was WHY they suddenly changed their mind, even when I laughed and told them I knew what their game was. They insisted that wasn't what they were doing. I shook my head and hung up the phone, happy but disgusted at the same time.

Since you're "not getting all moral here," I'll add that I'm not a big fan of companies raping their customers with an overpriced product. The business world is full of negotiation, compromise, and gamesmanship -- you should know that.

I'm in this camp as well. I've actually gone .-um.. both ways with this. I called first, playing the game and got a nice discount -they were handing 'em out like candy on Halloween. The second time I called was to clearly drop ST. (new sports bar next door..) They really wouldn't let me go without a couple other very nice gestures/savings -including Show/TMC free for 4 months.

I had to 'go over my own head' and get the Missus' approval. She relented.. :unsure:

:unsure:

I'm projecting my guilty feelings on you because I feel guilty for.... er.... being honest? :censored:

Look, you don't need my approval for the things you do. Just do your thing...

Are you taking some pop psychology class or something? You assume because I challenge your statement that I'm somehow feeling guilty? You're not even reading my posts, because if you did, you'd see I've done EXACTLY what you say you don't have a problem with. I'm merely disagreeing with you that there is some ethical dilemma with others using the "I'd like to cancel my service" route.

Are you taking some pop psychology class or something? You assume because I challenge your statement that I'm somehow feeling guilty? You're not even reading my posts, because if you did, you'd see I've done EXACTLY what you say you don't have a problem with. I'm merely disagreeing with you that there is some ethical dilemma with others using the "I'd like to cancel my service" route.

Say 3 Our Father's and 5 Rosaries... maybe that will make you feel better. I could put in a good word with St. Peter if you really are concerned. :devil:

I don't think it is gaming the system. They overcharge for normal service and they over charge for the NFLST. If they couldn't afford to give discounts then they wouldn't. They obviously know what is going on, Directv isn't stupid. If you can get a deal get a deal.

Since you're "not getting all moral here," I'll add that I'm not a big fan of companies raping their customers with an overpriced product. The business world is full of negotiation, compromise, and gamesmanship -- you should know that.

I agree. I doubt Scott walks into a dealership and pays sticker price for a new car. Directv has made the price of ST negotiable. We just call up and ask what they can do for us as long time customers (12 years). Over the past several years they have offered us generous discounts. I see nothing amoral about that and am I not asking for "free football".

plus FREE DVR service for 6 months and a downgrade to my package to the $30/month tier...

so, I would end up getting all that for $120. BEAT THAT! :devil:

I'm still not sure I'll even do it, but maybe I'll put that box in the bedroom or the basement when it gets finished.

I pay 40 bucks for every pay channel there is, NFL ST, DVR, two hookups and it all in HD baby.

I pay 40 bucks for every pay channel there is, NFL ST, DVR, two hookups and it all in HD baby.

you probably called up and started talking politics... They gave you all that if you promised to hang up and never call back again! :devil: