I was just offered FREE NFL ST!

SDS

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in the same boat, Matt - moving at the end of the month and our DTV bill is getting out of control. I also swore I'd never go back to cable if I had a choice, but now I don't know what we're going to do. I think we're going to explore other options and see what kind of deal we can get from cable or ATT U-verse. I'd rather stay with DirecTV, but it's just too expensive right now.

So FWIW - the wife called DirecTV yesterday and explained the situation. Just told them it was getting too expensive, that we had originally ordered it so we could get the ST, and that now the programming and the ST package was getting out of hand and we were probably going to cancel at the end of the month, so they offered us the new subscriber package - $59.99/month for for five months of the premier package and ST included.

One thing that surprised me, though - they do a lot of promotion and advertising for their Movers Connection service where "they handle everything" when you move. But apparently all that entails is them coming in to our new home and setting up the new dish. We are supposed to pack the receivers and cables and take them with us, and we even have to dispose of the old dish. They apparently install a new dish at the new place, so what the heck do I do with my old dish?

One thing that surprised me, though - they do a lot of promotion and advertising for their Movers Connection service where "they handle everything" when you move. But apparently all that entails is them coming in to our new home and setting up the new dish. We are supposed to pack the receivers and cables and take them with us, and we even have to dispose of the old dish. They apparently install a new dish at the new place, so what the heck do I do with my old dish?

I think the idea is that you are supposed to leave it there for the person coming in behind you.

I think the idea is that you are supposed to leave it there for the person coming in behind you.

We live in an apartment right now, so that's out of the question. The complex would never allow us to leave the dish on the balcony - they would probably hit us with a removal fee out of our security deposit.

The email we got from DTV says "the dish is a property of the tenants, rather than DIRECTV. I recommend you dispose of the dish by any locally approved method of disposing of abandoned tenant property."

Is it just me or did she basically tell us "toss that sucker away, for all we care"?

We live in an apartment right now, so that's out of the question. The complex would never allow us to leave the dish on the balcony - they would probably hit us with a removal fee out of our security deposit.

The email we got from DTV says "the dish is a property of the tenants, rather than DIRECTV. I recommend you dispose of the dish by any locally approved method of disposing of abandoned tenant property."

Is it just me or did she basically tell us "toss that sucker away, for all we care"?

pretty much. It has little value. I would try freecycle.com or some place where you can give it away.

pretty much. It has little value. I would try freecycle.com or some place where you can give it away.

Seems so. I was in line at a T-W a few weeks ago to pick up a HD DVR (they have an outlet of convenience in a local mall to return bum equipment, handle billing, etc. ). The fellow behind me was ceasing his service, and mentioned one of the dish outfits. I told him about upgrading or problem equipment being replaced by new causing a contract duration re-up, and he said, no, not a problem, and said if he moved, he was told to pitch the dish into the trash.

That made sense to me - it wasn't worth paying somebody to come out and peel it off his roof and if the removal resulted in a roof leak, I assume they would have liability.