I heard Marty Schottenheimer on Sirius radio today and

Tipster19

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing with Jauron. The difference is that Jauron's point is basically 7-9, while Marty's is more like 11-5.

Saying Jauron got the Bills to 7-9 is giving Jauron too much credit. The Bills took Jauron to 7-9 because with the exception of 2007 both teams in 2006 and 2008 (Especially with the 5-1 start) were better than 7-9. Marty gets the most out of his teams and would at least take the team to it's talent level if not elevate it. Plus Marty has a much better draft mentality than Jauron and Co.

But I get your sarcasm its just even when someone jokes about Jauron doing anything close to a competent job I get pissed. :P

Marty Ball is a joke and I would never want him as the Bills head coach. Talk about conservative -- it would resemble the same offense we have now. He couldn't win with arguably the most talented team in the NFL a few yrs ago in San Diego. How would he be the solution. No thanks.

I'll take 14-2 Marty ball any day of the week. Are you going to blame Marty for Marlon McCree fumbling that interception?

Schottenheimer's biggest nemisis was Elway. Not a bad QB to lose to.

Marty didn't lose to Elway.

Marty lost playoff games because his sphincter was so tight, he coached like Jauron during the playoffs, most of the time.

BTW, I think Marty is an improvement over Jauron, just not a big enough improvement, IMO. The Bills aren't a team in shambles, they are an underachieving team. If the Bills go for a HC with NFL experience, how about a coach that WINS playoff games?

Marty didn't lose to Elway.

Marty lost playoff games because his sphincter was so tight, he coached like Jauron during the playoffs, most of the time.

BTW, I think Marty is an improvement over Jauron, just not a big enough improvement, IMO. The Bills aren't a team in shambles, they are an underachieving team. If the Bills go for a HC with NFL experience, how about a coach that WINS playoff games?

If they finish this season with 5 or fewer wins, are they a shambles or merely underachievers?

I think of Marty in the way I think of Chuck Knox. If you have a MISERABLE team (think Detroit), those guys can make you competitive. Maybe get you to the playoffs, after a few years. But that's pretty much their top-end.

I'm curious why this would be. I don't understand what the difference would be. If your good enough to coach a team too the playoffs then why would you always lose in the playoffs. Unless it's something as simple as better competition week too week in the post season. Or just out coached by superior guys in the playoffs every year?

I mean, NHL I can see why there would be a difference because the game up shifts in intensity and you have to have the ability to get your players too that level. NFL not so much. The game doesn't really change post season. I guess what I'm getting at is that it's not like the strategy changes or anything.

If they finish this season with 5 or fewer wins, are they a shambles or merely underachievers?

I'm thinking speculating on what they MIGHT do is fairly worthless in this discussion.

What they have done under Jauron is underachieve, especially last season. If they don't make the playoffs this year, DJ should be gone. DJ should already be gone, IMO. I just want a better replacement than Marty for this team.

Marty Ball is a joke and I would never want him as the Bills head coach. Talk about conservative -- it would resemble the same offense we have now. He couldn't win with arguably the most talented team in the NFL a few yrs ago in San Diego. How would he be the solution. No thanks.

Same resemblence except for the W-L column- you chump.

Right now anyone who can get the job done would be a step up. DJ should have had that extension tore to shreds after the Cleveland game. Marty could right the ship and get us moving in the right direction, but then again didn't we say that when Marv was coming back?

Marty, Gruden, Shanahan, Fassel, heck maybe even take a flyer on Denny Green. We need someone who will come in and shake things up and teach these guys how to win instead of survive.

I'm thinking speculating on what they MIGHT do is fairly worthless in this discussion.

What they have done under Jauron is underachieve, especially last season. If they don't make the playoffs this year, DJ should be gone. DJ should already be gone, IMO. I just want a better replacement than Marty for this team.

I agree with you to an extent. Previously, I was in the no-way-Jose camp regarding Marty.

In the last few years we experimented with ex-coordinators as our HC. As that didn't work out, we got an ex-HCs, albeit a loser. Given our track record since the late 90s, I don't think we can afford to try any coordinator as our next HC. That leaves current or retired HCs. Of them, I think Cowher is over rated and Gruden is an idiot. That leaves Shanny and Marty, who I would take in that order. Was Shanny a winner because of Elway only? I am not sure, but his track record is certainly enviable. His style is to build an O based on the run - which will suit us just fine.

I kinda veered off there - what I started off intending to say is that I have lowered expectations to the point where even Marty sounds acceptable.

And Deano, as an aside, Steely Dan was terrific last night in Chicago playing Royal Scam.

I agree with you to an extent. Previously, I was in the no-way-Jose camp regarding Marty.

In the last few years we experimented with ex-coordinators as our HC. As that didn't work out, we got an ex-HCs, albeit a loser. Given our track record since the late 90s, I don't think we can afford to try any coordinator as our next HC. That leaves current or retired HCs. Of them, I think Cowher is over rated and Gruden is an idiot. That leaves Shanny and Marty, who I would take in that order. Was Shanny a winner because of Elway only? I am not sure, but his track record is certainly enviable. His style is to build an O based on the run - which will suit us just fine.

I kinda veered off there - what I started off intending to say is that I have lowered expectations to the point where even Marty sounds acceptable.

Cowher might be "over rated" but he's a better option than Marty, IMO. My preference would be Cowher or Shanny. Unfortunately, I don't think the Bills have a realistic shot at grabbing either.

Way to dodge a simple question.

The point of the question is to see where you draw your line; otherwise, you're just posturing.

marty GETS to theplayoffs, however, and that is the first step the Bills need to make. 11 years (yes, I'm including this year) is too long of a drought in today's NFL.

Why settle for a coach that merely makes the playoffs, instead of wining there?

Cowher is 12-9 in the playoffs (More playoff appearances than Marty in six fewer seasons and a way better record in those games.)

Even Shanny is 8-5 in the playoffs. And he has coached for 16 seasons.

Right...he couldn't win the big one, that's understood, but his teams were solid and he took teams to the playoffs.

True...why would we want to have a winning record? I guess you'd rather go 7-9 forever, and not actually make the playoffs?

Hmmm...Sounds Like Marv Levy