Sam Gash's comments on WGR

nodnarb

Sam is on WGR pulling no punches. He said last year was The Lost Season for one reason and one reason alone: Kevin Gilbride and his failure to use our personnel to the best of their abilities. He said that every week the guys would complain about the playcalling and offer constructive criticism...and every week he gave them lip service. He'd tell them we're going to pound pound pound on the ground, and then gameday came and it was pass pass pass. Sam Gash split wide, passing on 3rd and short, and constanly putting the offense in 3rd and long.

He said that in almost every game there were critical, game-important calls where they were in the huddle, and everyone looked at each other as if to say, "this play isn't going to work". Folks, there's no way any offense can operate with those thoughts in their heads. It's amazing we won 6 games.

It wasn't Bledsoe or the receivers or the OLine as much as it was coaching and coordinating. I know, we all suspect that this was Thing One, but I do believe that our coaches TODAY will always put our players in the best position to succeed.

Listening to everything he's saying, I'm astounded, and I am officially the Chairman of the I hate Kevin Gilbride club. Buddy Ryan's portrait will be the organization's Seal.

Who's with me? Say AYE.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilbride....that bastard

then again, everybody I knew watching the game would say "this play isn't going to work" every time they came up to the frigging line of scrimmage

Agreed. That is also one reason why I think Bledsoe will do alot better this season with an offensive minded coach. I think some people forget just how bad Gilbribe's offense is, maybe the worse in NFL history. Didn't we have a streak going like 35 in a row 3rd and short plays that were all passes that came to a end finally in week 9 against Dallas? That's pathetic.

Kevin Gilbride was a huge reason for our failure last year, his idiotic play calling really screwed us badly. I dont put the blame totally on him (GW's inept leadership, The O-Line being crappy and Bledsoe forgetting how to play football share some sort of blame) but I do think a majority of our problems came from piss-poor playcalling and not being prepared enough.

On another note entirely, I went to Giants camp on Tuesday with a few of my college buddies and we saw Gilbride for ourselves, already corrupting the mind of poor Eli Manning. Too bad the Giants practice so far away from their fans or I would have tried to jump the fence and taken a swing at him, a la Buddy Ryan :D

Take this for what it is worth and I am not naming names, because I would likely never get information again if I did. I was told by a !@#$, that Donohoe knew he had a serious problem early in the season on play calling and implored Williams to address the issue but Williams never took control. Greg was loyal to his assistants. Dononoe refused to order Williams to do anything because the GM felt that word would get around the NFL that the coach is not allowed to make his own decisions and thus would limit our ability to attract a talented coach the next time around. It is not Donohoe's style to micromanage (by the way, I believe he is correct). When Williams did not take action, his fate was sealed but Donohoe saw little value in firing Williams and hiring an interim coach that would have to rebuild our offense past mid-season. Instead, he played out the string hoping that the coaches would figure it out. Obviously, they did not.

This is what I was told by someone at One Bills Drive.

First off....If I ever seen Kevin Gilbride in person I WILL take a swing at him!

Second.....Sam Gash is one of those players I would trust just about everything he says.......and i feel fortunate that he was a bill....

8231[/snapback]

I'm pretty bummed that he's not and Shelton is - especially from what I've seen so far.

Take this for what it is worth and I am not naming names, because I would likely never get information again if I did.  I was told by a !@#$, that Donohoe knew he had a serious problem early in the season on play calling and implored Williams to address the issue but Williams never took control.  Greg was loyal to his assistants.  Dononoe refused to order Williams to do anything because the GM felt that word would get around the NFL that the coach is not allowed to make his own decisions and thus would limit our ability to attract a talented coach the next time around.  It is not Donohoe's style to micromanage (by the way, I believe he is correct).  When Williams did not take action, his fate was sealed but Donohoe saw little value in firing Williams and hiring an interim coach that would have to rebuild our offense past mid-season.  Instead, he played out the string hoping that the coaches would figure it out.  Obviously, they did not.

8229[/snapback]

In so many words Sam said this same thing on the radio. He said that had GW gotten rid of Gilbride, he wouldn't have lost his team (and maybe not his job).

8229[/snapback]

Normally that statement evokes a lot of :D but the story makes perfect sense. Especially when you add that to the understanding that Donahoe didn't want Williams to hire Gilbride in the first place. And then you add to that the fact that his new coach is someone who sees more "eye to eye" with him....Perfectly believable.

Well we should've known this was gonna happen the moment he was brought in. Even with the jags that team had talent to go to the superbowl and cause of gilbrides inability to manage a game and dictate the pace by calling the correct plays at the correct time, he stuck with the old run n shoot or as Bill Parcells calls it. The Run N Duck Offense. Theres a reason this guy got the nickname, Kill-A-Drive. I'll still maintain the worst offensive coordinators of the past decade are

1. Kevin Gilbride 2. Paul Hackett. Just be thankful we're rid of that cancer now and may he rot Elis brain :D

really such a good listen , Gash is just so straight forward and real. One he did say was that he really did like coach Williams, that Williams was a very good man that he did lose the team around game eight when they didnt change Gilbride, if he had of Sam feels Williams would still be here..

Donohoe knew he had a serious problem early in the season on play calling and implored Williams to address the issue but Williams never took control. 

8229[/snapback]

I have not trouble believing that. Failed HB Options inside the opponent's 30 yrd line aren't grenerally a good idea.

What a waste.

even though it was last year and it's over and one needs to "get over" things he has no control over, I can't help it...every time i think about that travesty of a season I just feel so bad for guys like Gash and Moulds and Bledoe and Henry, et. al.

Why did Buffalo have to be Gibrided? There are 32 teams...why us?

I'll always think of Greggg as a failure, and Gilbride as the instrument of his failure.

Just remember, there were several Bledsoe interviews in Last year's camp and early in the season where he expressed his excitement and appreciation for Gilbride's offense and how "they were really on the same page". I think Drew enjoyed the downfield looks but hopefully he has come to realize that he has his limitations now. It sounds like he has really bought into the Pound it out theory whereas last year, he didn't.

really such a good listen , Gash is just so straight forward and real.  One he did say was that he really did like coach Williams, that Williams was a very good man that he did lose the team around game eight when they didnt change Gilbride, if he had of Sam feels Williams would still be here..

8244[/snapback]

There is another thing to consider here.......

Given what happened last year...this team should have done much WORSE then it did......something was holding this team together when it should have fell apart at the seams.....remember....we were still in it until the 3/4 part of the season despite a pretty tough schedule......

I think it says a lot about the players that are here....and I think it might say something about one of the greatest turnarounds of all time for a team this year....

This team is going to make the playoffs.....

I agree that Gilbride was THE main cause and the story about the "I don't believe it" looks in the huddle is likely true. If that is the case, they should have thrown a mutiny and started calling their own plays. There is only so much time each player has and if all 11 knew what needed to be done.....

Maybe this year there will be no such need.