It all starts at the top...

As I wade through the flotsam and jetsam of another flood of mediocrity by the Bills, I feel compelled to (again) remind everyone of Ralph Wilson's track record as Bills owner:

In 49 seasons, the Bills have had only 17 winning seasons. That roughly means that out of every three seasons, we have a winning record in only one.

The Bills all-time winning percentage is a paltry .475. Only 8 of the 32 teams in the NFL have a lower winning percentage.

Only four coaches in Bills history have been able to post a winning percentage during their tenure here, Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, Marv Levy, and Wade Phillips. Those four coaches have accounted for 16 of our 17 winning seasons. Aside from those four, Mike Mularkey is the only other Bills coach with a winning season. Marv retired. The others were fired.

Our greatest coach, Lou Saban, died never having been recognized/rewarded by Ralph Wilson for our two AFL Championships.

The player that many longtime Bills fans consider the greatest Bill ever, Cookie Gilchrist, has never been recognized/rewarded by Ralph Wilson for his great contributions to the team's early success (the two championships).

Our greatest general manager, Bill Polian, was fired by Ralph.

Our second greatest general manager, John Butler, was fired by Ralph.

Ralph Wilson is in the Hall of Fame for his contributions towards founding and building the AFL and his role in the merger, etc.

But as the owner of the Bills, he's done a horrible job. Yes, he's kept the team here but the end result of that is that we, the greatest football fans in the world, continue to endure season after season of Ralph Wilson's clueless bumbling.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I wade through the flotsam and jetsam of another flood of mediocrity by the Bills, I feel compelled to (again) remind everyone of Ralph Wilson's track record as Bills owner:

In 49 seasons, the Bills have had only 17 winning seasons. That roughly means that out of every three seasons, we have a winning record in only one.

The Bills all-time winning percentage is a paltry .475. Only 8 of the 32 teams in the NFL have a lower winning percentage.

Only four coaches in Bills history have been able to post a winning percentage during their tenure here, Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, Marv Levy, and Wade Phillips. Those four coaches have accounted for 16 of our 17 winning seasons. Aside from those four, Mike Mularkey is the only other Bills coach with a winning season. Marv retired. The others were fired.

Our greatest coach, Lou Saban, died never having been recognized/rewarded by Ralph Wilson for our two AFL Championships.

The player that many longtime Bills fans consider the greatest Bill ever, Cookie Gilchrist, has never been recognized/rewarded by Ralph Wilson for his great contributions to the team's early success (the two championships).

Ralph Wilson is in the Hall of Fame for his contributions towards founding and building the AFL and his role in the merger, etc.

But as the owner of the Bills, he's done a horrible job. Yes, he's kept the team here but the end result of that is that we, the greatest football fans in the world, continue to endure season after season of Ralph Wilson's clueless bumbling.

Butler refused to meet with Ralph to discuss a new contract. His contract was up, Ralph just got rid of him a couple months early because he knew he was leaving anyway. When Butler did leave, he left the Bills a MESS to clean up.

I suppose we're beyond the HOF induction by now so I'll be honest about what I thought of Ralph's speech.

I thought when he said something along the lines of, "I just knew I wanted to own one of these football teams," that he sounded like a helpless nerd with a Napoleon complex bolstered by his massive bank account, and that wasn't cool.

It just seemed as though he wanted to tie his name to an entity that represented something he will never be: an athletic competitor. Then I got to thinking about all the questionable things that have happened at OBD and how his finger prints always seem to clutter the historic messes, and I realized that this wimpy wannabe jock thinks way too highly of himself to run something (a football team) that he knows nothing about.

--Sigh-- was I just like two decades late in coming to the realizations, or does my insight defy me?

If I recall correctly RW got rid of him just prior to the last game of the seaosn and officially his contract expired Feb 1st, but for all practical purposes he was done in another wee kanyways as Jan not a whole lot is done other than review of players performance and start planning for next year.

Butler refused to meet with Ralph to discuss a new contract. His contract was up, Ralph just got rid of him a couple months early because he knew he was leaving anyway. When Butler did leave, he left the Bills a MESS to clean up.

This is a fair summation, I think, but must always be considered in light of the fact that Mr. Wilson may be the only person on earth who would ever have kept the Bills here for 50 years. I think long time fans have grudgingly come to grips with this reality ages ago. The only constant within the Bills organization in half a century is Ralph Wilson. He was selling hope before Obama was born. And we continue to buy it. It's frustrating beyond human endurance sometimes, but I guess we're all free to choose whether or not to participate in the product.

ralph wilson's record speaks for itself. the guy is a career loser, and the primary reason the bills can';t out of their own way. i wish he was capable of hiring, and getting along with good football people, but he isn't.

so this is the product that sells 73000 tickets 7 times a year? astonishing.

I suppose we're beyond the HOF induction by now so I'll be honest about what I thought of Ralph's speech.

I thought when he said something along the lines of, "I just knew I wanted to own one of these football teams," that he sounded like a helpless nerd with a Napoleon complex bolstered by his massive bank account, and that wasn't cool.

It just seemed as though he wanted to tie his name to an entity that represented something he will never be: an athletic competitor. Then I got to thinking about all the questionable things that have happened at OBD and how his finger prints always seem to clutter the historic messes, and I realized that this wimpy wannabe jock thinks way too highly of himself to run something (a football team) that he knows nothing about.

--Sigh-- was I just like two decades late in coming to the realizations, or does my insight defy me?

Uhmm..ever see old pics of ralph?? He was a pretty tough looking guy.Hes not a geek.-That being said he has been a mediocre owner.

Well said. would only add that I believe ralph has done a cost benefit analysis on attempting to produce a team competitive enough to have a run at a championship and decided long ago that the costs are too high. Unfortunately, the equation still hasn't shifted in our favor as he approaches his inevitable demise.

Well said. would only add that I believe ralph has done a cost benefit analysis on attempting to produce a team competitive enough to have a run at a championship and decided long ago that the costs are too high. Unfortunately, the equation still hasn't shifted in our favor as he approaches his inevitable demise.

:lol: This is the same reason we don't have a GM. A real GM would try to spend Ralph's money to make the team better. That is not a power Ralph is about to give up.

RW is only in the HOF because he was one of the original owners and had kept the team in Buffalo, not because of winning or how he runs the franchise.

As a fan, do you feel those are legitimate criteria for induction? Do you think future visitors to the HOF, 20 years from now will huddle before his bust and gush over his importance to the game.

I have to agree across the board. Those that know me, know I have never been a wilson fan and have seen through him from day one. The only time this team had any real success was when Bill Polian was here and stood up to Wilson. If Wilson had his way, he would have drafted Doug Flutie #1 overall and passed on Bruce Smith. That would have been TWO HOF'ers that would have never played a down of Buffalo Bills football. The other is Jim Kelly because Kelly was playing in the USFL at the time. So had Ralph had his way....no Superbowls for the Bills ever.

The man should do the right thing and just sell now, but his ego wont' allow him to.

RW is only in the HOF because he was one of the original owners and had kept the team in Buffalo, not because of winning or how he runs the franchise.

Ralph Wilson being in the Hall Of Fame is a freakng disgrace. He isnt the only owner that woulda kept the Bills in Buffalo..Thats a farce..The only reason we went to 4 SuperBowls was the idiot who ran the Bills into the ground with 2 straight 2-14 seasons and the good luck of Polian being hired..It wasnt by some grand design..We as Bills fans were lucky to have even that success of losing 4 Super Bowls with Ralp as our owner...He sucks and I can tell you I cant wait for our next owner..

I'll defend RW a little.

A few years ago I thought RW made a brilliant move--he went out and hired a guy with a track record of success and gave him total control of the franchise (Tom Donahoe). TD put us back on track cap-wise, put together a few above-average drafts, hired a rising star as a head coach, and sold a boat-load of tickets.

Once nothing really worked out with TD, I think RW felt burned and re-exerted control.

And I always thought you were a "Cheerio, chaps!" sort of guy. :lol:

In light of RW's ownership of a NFL franchise since 1970, one must seriously doubt his ability to find AND retain the top football people. Eventually, every single football person left on their own volition or was fired. Saban, Knox, Polian, Butler (AJ Smith). IIRC, Levy had some issues with RW at the end as well.

This track record is manifested in an entire decade of losing, with no end in sight. RW may be in the HOF for work done 40-50 years ago, but he never excelled at allowing good people to work for him. I think most people applauded hiring TD, but even though that didn't work, RW's reaction to this failure is almost as worse. He hired people not capable of performing the jobs they were brought in for that could be controlled. Neither Levy or Brandon are capable personnel people, and were set up to fail. The on-field product is a direct reflection of RW's and Littman's stewardship of the franchise.

I sincerely hope that this is also the last season for Tom Modrak and John Guy along w/Jauron if this season also produces mediocrity (or worse).

I don't know if Ralph has any kind of a true role anymore. Modrak and Guy were brought in by Tom Donahoe, and what have they done since their arrival?

Buddy Nix is back with the Bills, and would hopefully take over scouting duties from the inept Modrak.

Guy is worthless, as there has not been any real impact making free agent that he has brought in to the Bills.

Besides, one of these "super" guys like Shanahan, Holmgren, or Cowher could run both coach and GM duties and have the Bills competing in the playoffs w/in 2 seasons.

Brandon really has little to no real football personnel experience (regardless of what his proponents claim of his "rubbing elbows" with prior Bills front office greats). He should be stuck back in his marketing/ COO role.

This team does not need a coach who plays 'nice' with them.

They have some good talent, but need to have a boot shoved up their collective a$$es and pressure put on them for them to become winners.

Other teams just seem more disciplined, intense, and hungry.

this isn't baseball, and were not the pirates, we spend just like the other teams, to the cap, more or less. the problem is that their is no cap in coaching salaries, so rw goes on the cheap there, and it shows. With Phillips, Mularkey, Williams at least there was the thought we'd get the next great young coach, but the jauron hiring was uninspired and the re-hiring was down right pathetic.

Not to stick up for Trent too much, but jauron has never coached a successful QB in 8 years of being an NFL head coach, i don't think that is a coincidence. Next year if we get gruden or shanahan maybe they can fix trent if he's not already completly f'd mentally by then.

And I always thought you were a "Cheerio, chaps!" sort of guy. :lol:

I love the 'Buffalo Bills surrender' thing, man...

...maybe that could be their 'offense' this year, the 'S-gun'. The 'S' stands for surrender, and every time the Bills would get control of the ball, Trent could trot out to midfield, wave the white flag, and turn the ball over.