No Pass Rush

There is alot of talk about the horrible offense, but what about the pass rush? This is a major problem. If this defense could rush the QB it would be dangerous. But it can't. So we will see lots of third down failure again.

we all (exc for a couple of people on this board) know this. But we figured we could work around it til Maybin gets going and until we can dump our 2 present DEs and get another FA and High draft pick DE next year. The O line needs a lot of work......but the real problem is Ralph/Jauron..and the concussed Trent.

Actually the pass rush was one of the few bright spots last night. We just happened to be playing one of the best QB's in the league when it comes to sliding/throwing it in traffic. And oh, btw Big Ben can FLING the ball 20 yards too...

Big Ben is also almost singularly talented in another respect...he can throw an accurate pass with a pass rusher draped on him. Being 6'5 and 240 pounds is an asset that he takes full advantage of. He's a hard man to take down and is less affected by physical contact than any quarterback in the game.

There is alot of talk about the horrible offense, but what about the pass rush? This is a major problem. If this defense could rush the QB it would be dangerous. But it can't. So we will see lots of third down failure again.

This isn't a surprise at all. This is the exact same defense and exact same coordinator we had last season. One first round DE that missed almost all of camp and preseason is not going to save the defense this season.

we all (exc for a couple of people on this board) know this. But we figured we could work around it til Maybin gets going and until we can dump our 2 present DEs and get another FA and High draft pick DE next year. The O line needs a lot of work......but the real problem is Ralph/Jauron..and the concussed Trent.

Agreed, 100%

Sadly I think that if Schobel is healthy he plays every down this season. Dick loves him some veteran. I can also see Dick playing Kelsay a lot given his "captain" status.

Dick missed the boat on Greer, Fred Jackson, Steve Johnson (should have been playing #2 WR near the halfway mark last season) and I see no reason for him to stop now.

I was actually very impressed by Maybin. I didnt think he would be a factor early in the year but watching him, I was really surprised at his hustle and his ability to spin off double teams back into the action. He's going to get some sacks this year and some pressures. He's already a factor if teams decide to double team him like the Steelers did. I liked what I saw of him a lot.

There was at least one play that the pass rush did a good job of flushing Ben out of the pocket, and only a blatant hold by their RT saved a sack. Then Ben found someone downfield for a 1st down...and everyone gushed about how great Big Ben is about keeping plays going.

I was actually very impressed by Maybin. I didnt think he would be a factor early in the year but watching him, I was really surprised at his hustle and his ability to spin off double teams back into the action. He's going to get some sacks this year and some pressures. He's already a factor if teams decide to double team him like the Steelers did. I liked what I saw of him a lot.

Agree. I was more surprised with his 'push' into the pocket. Thought he did ok in that regard considering we've been hearing how much he has to bulk up.

One PS game but so far, so good.

GO BILLS!!!

On his sack, Maybin got lucky when BR stepped in his direction. Still, I think he showed good quickness and lateral movement on the play to react to the QB, get past the LT, and make the play. It's not much, but it's at least a start. And this team needs all the help it can get.

THE DEFENSE GAVE UP 10 POINTS. THE OFFENSE SCORED ZERO.

FYI - You cannot win if you score ZERO.

The defense is not dominating, but they are not the problem.

Maybin does have some pass rush skills. I was expecting more of a quick step off the edge but he appeared tenative last night. I do think he will make a difference. If Schoble has anything left, we might generate some pressure.

Seriously? I thought his first step was terrific. He was two steps into the backfield when the opposite end was one. On one third down just his speed around the edge caused Big Ben to throw the ball earlier than he wanted and it was a completion but a yard short of the first down. Without that speed, I think Rothlisberger throws it a half second later and they don't punt. He played very well and looked very fast off the ball IMO.

Maybin played a lot better than I thought he would of. He showed some burst and was able to get our only sack of the night, considering the amount of time he has practiced with the team, I came away impressed with his play. Ellis made a few plays as well, and at this point I would say he stands a good chance of making the final roster. I also am somewhat impressed with Copelands ability to edge rush and I think he could help us out as well.

Denney and Kelsay looked remarkably mediocre, and one of these guys have to go, time for some new blood, hopefully it's Kelsay.

I just finished watching the first half on NFL Network and recall seeing us send more than our 4 linemen only twice. Once was the sack when Corner blitzed and one other time when we got pressure but not the sack. I suspect they'll be a little less vanilla when the season starts.

On the other hand, was it just me or did the Steelers seem to blitz a bit more than we did? Not an excuse, but just what it seemed like to me.

Something else I noticed in getting ready for my fantasy draft tonight is that the 4 D's we've played so far are all in the top 12 according to my fantasy service. Pitt's No. 1, and GB, Tenn and Chicago were 10-12 respectively. As this list was from late July, I strongly suspect that GB is now up at around 4 or 5 after shutting us and Cleveland out and holding the AZ starters to 10 points. Not an excuse, but something to be considered in all the recent criticism.

If you boil it down, our 1st team O has gone a little over one full game of time, scored 3 points, given up 5 turnovers and gained about 300 yards total against on average a number 5 or 6 defense and without our best offensive player for almost all of that span. Again, not an excuse (I'm still worried about the O and TE's lack of confidence), but those are all just facts to be considered before people jump off bridges here. My concern is that it all becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy in terms of our O (and QB) getting its confidence shot, thereby having an even worse effect on our team.....

true but we do need some more talent brought in next yr on the front 7 if we want that defense to be playoff caliber

Offense is the problem but our D gave up 10 - in the first half. By the fourth quarter, they're usually tired and allowing points by the bunch.

Guest dog14787

I'll second that, Maybin helped bring down Big Ben for a sack and that's allot easier said then done.

I thought the D played well, something still staying under the radar for the most part, even to our own fans,

Good Defenses win Championships.