Could 32 Year Old Ryan Denney Get Cut ?

Kenwick

Could Youth be served this year ? Could the Bills keep DE Copeland Byran and DE Chris Ellis as the two backups to Kelsay and Schobel??? ... Both Byran & Ellis are playing well right now. If they continue to do so, I can see the Bills keeping both players...

Maybin will not be ready, if he continues to hold out.

I see the Bills having 25 players on defense. 10 in the secondary with 6 CBs and 2 SS and 2 FS.

I see 4 DTs & 4 DEs. 7 LBs... Ellison, Posluszny, Mitchell, Harris, Thomas, Buggs & Maybin as a DE/LB.

It could happen that Denney is odd man out....

I think that there could be quite a few surprises when the cuts are announced. We have quite a few people who are mediocre starters that could easily be unseated by younger, hungrier players. Kelsay and Denney have to be on that list, if not this year, definitely next year.

POSSIBLE noteworthy cuts will include

Rhodes

McIntyre

McKinney

Kelsay

Florence

Simpson

That's about it, who else that would shock you even has a chance of getting cut- I was thinking Schouman, but I'm thinkin they're gonna keep 4 TE's and cut McIntyre. I'll just throw it out there, but Schobel wouldn't absolutely shock me- if and only if Maybin signs and looks decent. Ellis is making this team, it's not even a question. You don't give up on a hyped, talented 3rd round draft pick who looks to be progressing after one season.

1) Kelsay should be the odd man out, but will the coaches do this? Apparently they love him and his practice leadership.

2) Denney is a better football player than Kelsay. Excellent LDE back-up

3) Oh no, Schobel didn't look amazing in two pre-season games. Relax he'll be ready for the season. I also saw Stroud looking ordinary on both games. These two guys will turn it up a notch when the season starts.

4) Bryan and Ellis should make the team.

1) Kelsay should be the odd man out, but will the coaches do this? Apparently they love him and his practice leadership.

2) Denney is a better football player than Kelsay. Excellent LDE back-up

3) Oh no, Schobel didn't look amazing in two pre-season games. Relax he'll be ready for the season. I also saw Stroud looking ordinary on both games. These two guys will turn it up a notch when the season starts.

4) Bryan and Ellis should make the team.

You're right, I don't think Schobel's gonna get cut, I'm just saying 1 in 100- it's possible, whereas Lee Evans getting cut is impossible. I agree with most people on here though- Maybin, Ellis, Bryan, Schobel, Kelsay and Denney equals one too many. If I had to bet money I would say the leading candidate to get cut is Chris Kelsay followed by Bryan. Don't forget the contract factor- it wouldn't make any sense to cut Denney, who makes less than Kelsay but appears to be more valuable (run defense, pass blocking, etc.) Let's not sugar coat it, Kelsay blows.

Denney is also valuable on ST... and I don't think there's anyway Schobel isn't on this team, but if he's not, some team will certainly give the Bills a Day 3 pick for him, no way he will be cut outright. I also think they might be able to get a late Day 3 pick for Denney, but Kelsay has no value, I doubt they could get anything for him.

I think that this is the key. If Kelsay and Denney essentially provide the same thing, then cut the guy with the bigger salary. The Bills front office will be on board with this too.

All this being said, I think that Ellis will be the one to go. Just a hunch.

He is just entering his second year, was injured for a fair bit of time last year and reportedly has been playing well this pre-season. Plus, Jauron typically gives players more chances to play towards the end of their first season or into their second. What makes you think Ellis will be gone ?

If someone has to go, I think it will be between Kelsay and Bryan.

Denney is also valuable on ST... and I don't think there's anyway Schobel isn't on this team, but if he's not, some team will certainly give the Bills a Day 3 pick for him, no way he will be cut outright. I also think they might be able to get a late Day 3 pick for Denney, but Kelsay has no value, I doubt they could get anything for him.

Draft is only 2 days. What are you saying?

You know this year more than any in the Jauron era, I think there will be surprise cuts. There was a thread earlier on this subject that could be resurrected.

Regardless I just don't see Ryan Denney getting cut (been wrong before, will be wrong again of course). In my book he's a much better player than Chris Kelsay. He's better against the run and also as a pass rusher. When he can't get to the quarterback he's very good at getting into the passing lanes with his length.

I know that Ellis finally showed some flashes against Chicago and I think Copeland Bryan is a developing talent with natural pass rushing skills. I have Bryan ahead of Ellis but I don't think either of them will get cut. So there is a logjam at this position with Schobel a lock, and Maybin (hopefully) waiting in the wings. The Bills might be able to defer a decision at DE if Maybin reports real late and they get a roster exemption for him. And of course there's always the possibility of an injury at any position.

I would say this: Do not forget that the Bills tried moving Kelsay this offseason. He might still be trade bait, especially for a team suffering injuries at defensive end. If I were the GM, Kelsay would be the odd man out, even though I love his attitude and humble, team-oriented approach.

I agree with a lot of this, and I don't know, Kelsay may be better than Denney, I just know I feel better when Denney is in there.

Holy Cow...I didn't realize Denney has been around so long...then again, perhaps he has been the perfect example of what the Bills have been about the past 10 years...the guy has enough talent to play in the NFL, but not enough talent to start and be a difference maker...basically he is just there most weeks...he doesn't make a lot of big plays, but he doesn't do anything to really hurt you either...he is just there...

Holy Cow...I didn't realize Denney has been around so long...then again, perhaps he has been the perfect example of what the Bills have been about the past 10 years...the guy has enough talent to play in the NFL, but not enough talent to start and be a difference maker...basically he is just there most weeks...he doesn't make a lot of big plays, but he doesn't do anything to really hurt you either...he is just there...

I believe he was on a Mormon mission, and started late. Like 26 years old, or something like that.

POSSIBLE noteworthy cuts will include

Rhodes

McIntyre

McKinney

Kelsay

Florence

Simpson

That's about it, who else that would shock you even has a chance of getting cut- I was thinking Schouman, but I'm thinkin they're gonna keep 4 TE's and cut McIntyre. I'll just throw it out there, but Schobel wouldn't absolutely shock me- if and only if Maybin signs and looks decent. Ellis is making this team, it's not even a question. You don't give up on a hyped, talented 3rd round draft pick who looks to be progressing after one season.

I'm for keeping Mcintyre and cutting Schouman

IF I get cut, I'll just go find a nice house where I can chew thru the walls, sleep inside for the winter, and every once in a while come out and steal some cheese while avoiding the pet cat...

Sincerely,

Mike Shanahan

WAR to making the world a better place by punching Bill Bellichick in the face

Maybin will be making more then Denney and Kelsey combined with no guarantee that he will be as effective as either of them. He might be the biggest bust of the decade. No sense talking about cutting until we see what Maybin can do against full NFL competition.