Favre a Viking

Brand J

Hmmm...knowing Favre's past, I will believe it when I see him on the field in Cleveland on September 13.

People don't realize that the following "underrated" QBs have all won or led their teams to Super Bowls:

Trent Dilfer

Brad Johnson

David Woodley (!)

Rex Grossman (!!!)

Rich Gannon

Matt Hasselbeck

Tony Eason

Drew Bledsoe

Not a Hall of Famer in that bunch.

The way NFL teams are built these days, you do NOT need a superstar QB to win a Super Bowl. Defense wins championships. The Vikings could have a defense for the ages, with or without Favre.

Personally, I think that Brent's presence could tear a Super Bowl contender apart. It certainly won't help Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels.

You forgot Vince Ferragamo (!!!).

:rolleyes:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot Vince Ferragamo (!!!).

:P

You're right, I did! :lol:

BTW, if you check out ESPN.com, Cris Carter rips his former team a new one. He claims the Vikings knew all along Favre was coming back, and misrepresented this to Jackson and Rosenfels.

I've been a fan of Carter's broadcasting for a while, and my opinion of him just went way up. Well done, Cris!

BTW, if you check out ESPN.com, Cris Carter rips his former team a new one. He claims the Vikings knew all along Favre was coming back, and misrepresented this to Jackson and Rosenfels.

I've been a fan of Carter's broadcasting for a while, and my opinion of him just went way up. Well done, Cris!

I'm completely sold on that idea too. This whole thing was pre-arranged from day 1.

You can win without a superstar QB only when you have a bone-crushing defense. Look at the list again and see that it is true. That being said, with the addition of Favre, as per basically every analyst on the face of the Earth, the Vikings are the undisputed team to beat in the NFC heading into the season. It is hard for ignorant Bills fans on a forum full of ignorant Bills fans to find any credibility in regards to Favre not being a great QB who makes his teams MUCH better.

You can win without a superstar QB only when you have a bone-crushing defense. Look at the list again and see that it is true. That being said, with the addition of Favre, as per basically every analyst on the face of the Earth, the Vikings are the undisputed team to beat in the NFC heading into the season. It is hard for ignorant Bills fans on a forum full of ignorant Bills fans to find any credibility in regards to Favre not being a great QB who makes his teams MUCH better.

...and these are the same analysts who pick the Dolphins for the Super Bowl every year. So you can take their analysis and $3.95, and get yourself a latte at Starbucks. It's rare when the favorite in August makes, and wins the Super Bowl. Suddenly, some of these analysts are wetting themselves about the Vikings going 16-0, or 19-0. The Minnesota Vikings, a franchise which you can always count on to screw things up somewhere along the way.

The Vikings have not made a Super Bowl for 33 years. That's right. 33 years.

It's been a quarter of a century for the Dolphins as well.

There's a reason why these people are analysts and not working in the NFL. :lol:

You must be easily impressed. It seemed to me that Carter was personally offended by the move, but even he couldn't deny that the Vikings are clearly a better team now. So is he mad because one of his buddies got his feelings hurt or what? I don't understand the tirade there, because how can you blame a team for seeking such a clear and obvious upgrade at the most critical of all positions? How can you blame a team for an acquisition that instantly takes them from mere afterthought to front-runner and team to beat? I'm not sure when so many people started thinking Brett isn't good, but the Vikings are now the scariest team the NFC has seen for a good while, and it seems to me like Chris Carter should be pleased by that. But yea let's put stock in what he has to say, when he is clearly biased, as he cannot even deny that Brett is far superior to any other option they had at QB. Of all people, I would expect a hall of famer to understand the business nature of the NFL and to not take it personally, especially when he is no longer even affiliated with the team or its players anyway.

See road wins in NE and Tennessee and 6 tds against the Super Bowl runner ups. The Jets were 4-12 the year before Farve.

Wonder if they'll fall back to 4-12 again now that he's gone.

My guess is yes. :lol:

You must be easily impressed. It seemed to me that Carter was personally offended by the move, but even he couldn't deny that the Vikings are clearly a better team now. So is he mad because one of his buddies got his feelings hurt or what? I don't understand the tirade there, because how can you blame a team for seeking such a clear and obvious upgrade at the most critical of all positions? How can you blame a team for an acquisition that instantly takes them from mere afterthought to front-runner and team to beat? I'm not sure when so many people started thinking Brett isn't good, but the Vikings are now the scariest team the NFC has seen for a good while, and it seems to me like Chris Carter should be pleased by that. But yea let's put stock in what he has to say, when he is clearly biased, as he cannot even deny that Brett is far superior to any other option they had at QB. Of all people, I would expect a hall of famer to understand the business nature of the NFL and to not take it personally, especially when he is no longer even affiliated with the team or its players anyway.

It's not a clear and obvious upgrade. Favre led the NFL in interceptions last year. Again, Corey Webster. To this day, I think if Aaron Rodgers was the QB in that NFC Championship game, the Packers win.

Favre's stats in that game: 19/35 236 yards 2 TDs, 2 INTs.

Take away the 90 yd. touchdown pass to Driver (for which Driver ran the last 70 yards): 18/34 146 yards 1 TD 2 INTs.

Not a great game.

Favre's stats in 2008 for the Jets: 343/522 3472 yards 65.7% completion percentage 22 TDs, 22 INTs.

Again, hardly spectacular. Aaron Rodgers threw for over 4,000 yards, had six more TDs, and nine fewer interceptions.

Look at Tavaris Jackson's stats for 2008 and for his career:

2008 88/149 1056 yards 59.1% 9 TDs 2 INTs 95.4 passer rating

Career 306/524 3442 yards 58.4% 20TDs, 18 INTs 76.5 passer rating

I wouldn't have called the Vikings a mere afterthought, either. Minnesota won the NFC North, and I think they were a contender without Favre. But, I think there's a better chance of him tearing the team apart with his prima donna/me-first behavior, rather than winning the whole thing and sticking the Packers management in the eye.

Hmmm...knowing Favre's past, I will believe it when I see him on the field in Cleveland on September 13.

People don't realize that the following "underrated" QBs have all won or led their teams to Super Bowls:

Trent Dilfer

Brad Johnson

David Woodley (!)

Rex Grossman (!!!)

Rich Gannon

Matt Hasselbeck

Tony Eason

Drew Bledsoe

Not a Hall of Famer in that bunch.

The way NFL teams are built these days, you do NOT need a superstar QB to win a Super Bowl. Defense wins championships. The Vikings could have a defense for the ages, with or without Favre.

Personally, I think that Brent's presence could tear a Super Bowl contender apart. It certainly won't help Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels.

To be fair, Bledsoe was an great, maybe even elite QB early in his career, but post 2000 was mediocre, with a couple good seasons. Also, Gannon does have an MVP trophy, but I still think that the '02 Raiders were a byproduct of steroids from the Balco lab.

Huh? Ever since the Ravens won in 2001, people think you can win without a star QB. That is the biggest joke. Look at the last 20 years, 16 of the Superbowl winners had a Probowl QBs at the helm. Only 4 teams had "average" talent at the QB spot.

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIV

Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV

Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII

Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX

Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII

Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV

Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI

Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI

Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII

Out of that list, Hostetler was a backup who was thrust into duty when Phil Simms got hurt against Buffalo at the end of the regular season. For a short stretch Mark Rypien was a great QB with 2 Pro Bowls and a Player of the Year award. He just went downhill after that SB win.

I think he is going after that record. You know...the one by Sugar Ray Leonard for most times coming out of retirement.

I think he's closing in on NASCAR racer Mark Martin territory right now. If he passes him, he'll be in second place by himself taking dead aim at Sugar Ray!

...and these are the same analysts who pick the Dolphins for the Super Bowl every year. So you can take their analysis and $3.95, and get yourself a latte at Starbucks. It's rare when the favorite in August makes, and wins the Super Bowl. Suddenly, some of these analysts are wetting themselves about the Vikings going 16-0, or 19-0. The Minnesota Vikings, a franchise which you can always count on to screw things up somewhere along the way.

The Vikings have not made a Super Bowl for 33 years. That's right. 33 years.

It's been a quarter of a century for the Dolphins as well.

There's a reason why these people are analysts and not working in the NFL. :lol:

I didn't suggest the Vikes would win the SB or go undefeated. I simply stated that it makes them the undisputed favorites in the NFC. To deny that would be silly. IMO only the Falcons could make a legitimate claim against that, but when you compare the Falcons defense to the Vikes, I think the Vikings, on paper, have a clear advantage. Some people would argue that the Falcons won't be bad on defense, but I'd rather have the Vikings D than the Falcons D any day. It is obvious that speculation carries no value, and really you wasted your time and mine pointing that out. The fact is that on paper the Vikings just look really good right now.

And Brett Favre is the man, regardless of what fat middle-aged blue collar Buffalo Bills fans think about him.

No !@#$ing way, is he suffering from alzheimer or something? I Honestly didnot see this coming. The sad art about it... This means next offseason and preseason we'll have this Favre bull sh-- again... Way to keep yourself out of the hof.

No !@#$ing way, is he suffering from alzheimer or something? I Honestly didnot see this coming. The sad art about it... This means next offseason and preseason we'll have this Favre bull sh-- again... Way to keep yourself out of the hof.

True only in the sense that if he's on the roster for Game 1, his eligibility will be delayed for a year. Not only is Favre an absolute first-ballot lock for Canton, he may well be a unanimous selection.

LOL WOW. Dumbest. Post. Ever. For one thing, does the reporting about Favre when there is absolutely nothing else to report really cause that much grief? Is it so hard to flip the damn channel? Really? Is it so bad that you feel justified in passing judgment against the guy? If that is the case, I recommend you seek immediate psychiatric attention. Secondly, Brett Favre could assassinate Obama and still be a no miss, in the bag, first ballot hall of famer. You are too stupid for words.

@Lori-

You beat me to the punch =[. I wanted to be the first to debunk that ludicrous sentiment so that I could add in the barrage of insults that he deserves but that you are too classy to supply. (Being classy isn't so much of an issue for me :lol: )

I also wanted to add that depending on the criteria, you could legitimately argue that no other QB has been more valuable to a franchise than Brett. Just look at where the Packers were when he arrived and where they are now (which clearly is better off than pre-Favre but just as clearly a long way from where they were during Favre's prime.)

Perhaps you should be pissy with the actual source of your irritation. It is the media which chooses to devote such an absurd amount of time to such a predictable story, not Favre. All he's done is wait and see if his surgically repaired shoulder has recovered adequately and exercise his well-earned veteran's prerogative not to burn out his arm in camp.

Years ago I stopped wasting my time watching or listening to any talking heads on the stupid pregame, post game, midweek media bonanzas, and you know what? Not only do you feel sort of liberated and less annoyed by their repetitive idiocy but you don't know a smidgen less in their absence. Perhaps now would be an excellent time for many of you to make such a clean and rewarding break; you'll be glad you did.

I made the same decision years ago myself.

I'm buying you a :lol: for a great post.