Favre a Viking

Brand J

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he's turned into a drama queen.

He's in, he's out, then in again. He's "holding court" with the media during his press conferences. If he didn't want to retire, then he should have said so. In no uncertain terms.

He needs to get the media to back off. He didn't do that. Everytime he plays and his team loses the media brings up the retirement thing again.

They should stop asking the question.

He wanted to skip camp. Can't blame him for that. Gary Zimmerman did that for the last couple of years of his playing career, and he ended up having damn good seasons.

Favre is still better than half the QBs in the league. Until he got hurt last year, he was definitely in the top 10. Assuming he's healthy, he's a huge improvement for the Vikes.

I'll be rooting for him. Once you get past the retirement drama, you'll see a great ballgamer who plays hurt, plays well, plays with passion, and -- most importantly -- produces. He's been on one losing team since he joined the Pack in 1992. That's incredible.

He wanted to skip camp. Can't blame him for that. Gary Zimmerman did that for the last couple of years of his playing career, and he ended up having damn good seasons.

Favre is still better than half the QBs in the league. Until he got hurt last year, he was definitely in the top 10. Assuming he's healthy, he's a huge improvement for the Vikes.

I'll be rooting for him. Once you get past the retirement drama, you'll see a great ballgamer who plays hurt, plays well, plays with passion, and -- most importantly -- produces. He's been on one losing team since he joined the Pack in 1992. That's incredible.

Very well said. Performance is not the issue. It's the drama behind it all. It could have been avoided. He should have come out and said Gary Zimmerman skipped training camp and left it at that. But he keeps dancing around the issue . . . and that issue is training camp.

Very well said. Performance is not the issue. It's the drama behind it all. It could have been avoided. He should have come out and said Gary Zimmerman skipped training camp and left it at that. But he keeps dancing around the issue . . . and that issue is training camp.

Favre is a drama queen, and a liar. Let's make that very clear. If he didn't have an extremely proficient past, nobody would support this foolishness. It should also be noted that most of his proficiency is several years removed. He was OK for part of last year, but his poor play toward the end of the season likely cost the Jets a playoff spot. Before that, he had one real good year, preceded by two very shaky years (one where he through 29 INTS).

He has played this self-aggrandizing retirement game for several years, now, and it is getting pretty old, IMO. It shows a complete lack of respect for the team.

Brett has missed the bulk of training camp for a team he has yet to play for. He is the supposed leader of the offense, and has managed to skip all the work that goes into making the offense a real unit. Favre hasn't taken one snap from any of the Vikings Centers, or thrown to any of their WRs in an NFL game. But that's all fine, because he is a vet.

We are blasting Aaron Maybin here, a guy who, at best was going to be a situational pass rusher in his first season, for not being with the team. "He will be worthless this year, because he missed camp" seems to be the popular refrain. But the QB of the team can miss all of camp, and it's AOK. Adjust the depth chart and your expectations, because Mr. Favre is in town. He and Childress should be ashamed of themselves for their behavior in this debacle.

Fuc#ing disgusting, if you ask me.

From a friend's Facebook page:

Dear Vikings Fans:

This was Brett Favre's lasting moment with the New York Jets. On the season's final day, with a playoff berth still to be had, the Great No. 4 dropped back and found Phillip Merling for a touchdown.

One slight, insignificant, issue.

Phillip Merling is a defensive lineman for the Miami Dolphins.

Whoops.

http://dolphins.fandome.com/video/107977/P...re-4-Shaken-Up/

Brett has missed the bulk of training camp for a team he has yet to play for. He is the supposed leader of the offense, and has managed to skip all the work that goes into making the offense a real unit. Favre hasn't taken one snap from any of the Vikings Centers, or thrown to any of their WRs in an NFL game. But that's all fine, because he is a vet.

We are blasting Aaron Maybin here, a guy who, at best was going to be a situational pass rusher in his first season, for not being with the team. "He will be worthless this year, because he missed camp" seems to be the popular refrain. But the QB of the team can miss all of camp, and it's AOK. Adjust the depth chart and your expectations, because Mr. Favre is in town. He and Childress should be ashamed of themselves for their behavior in this debacle.

Well, seasoned veterans do get a break in that regard. Favre is quite familiar with the ins and outs. Training camp is old hat, and he figures that getting more rest time will do him good toward the end of the year. Bruce did the same thing. Who's to say it didn't help?

Comparing Favre to Maybin is completely disingenuous. Maybin has yet to even experience what "NFL speed" is... or just about anything else having to do with stepping it up from college. He hasn't done himself any favors.

Well, seasoned veterans do get a break in that regard. Favre is quite familiar with the ins and outs. Training camp is old hat, and he figures that getting more rest time will do him good toward the end of the year. Bruce did the same thing. Who's to say it didn't help?

Comparing Favre to Maybin is completely disingenuous. Maybin has yet to even experience what "NFL speed" is... or just about anything else having to do with stepping it up from college. He hasn't done himself any favors.

I am comparing a guy who is the main cog in the offense, who is supposed to have rapport with and a feel for his WRs, and them for him...to a guy who, at best, is going to play a handful of plays a game.

You are right. It is crazy to compare them, but not for the reasons you suggest.

BTW, I am really not trying to defend Maybin, here. I just think what Favre did is far more disruptive to his team, than Maybin's failure to get signed in a timely manner.

Hmmm...knowing Favre's past, I will believe it when I see him on the field in Cleveland on September 13.

People don't realize that the following "underrated" QBs have all won or led their teams to Super Bowls:

Trent Dilfer

Brad Johnson

David Woodley (!)

Rex Grossman (!!!)

Rich Gannon

Matt Hasselbeck

Tony Eason

Drew Bledsoe

Not a Hall of Famer in that bunch.

The way NFL teams are built these days, you do NOT need a superstar QB to win a Super Bowl. Defense wins championships. The Vikings could have a defense for the ages, with or without Favre.

Personally, I think that Brent's presence could tear a Super Bowl contender apart. It certainly won't help Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels.

It's true you don't need a Hall of Fame QB to win a Super Bowl. But it really helps. Look at the groups of players who have won multiple Super Bowls:

'70s: Steelers: Terry Bradshaw. Mediocre stats during the regular season, but Hall of Fame play during the postseason.

'80s: 49ers: Joe Montana. Best QB ever.

'90s: Cowboys. Troy Aikman. Not at the same level as Montana, but a Hall of Fame QB nonetheless.

'90s: Broncos. John Elway. One of the best QBs ever.

2000s: Patriots. Tom Brady--a surefire Hall of Fame QB.

2000s: Steelers. Ben Roethlisburger--a very good QB.

If you want to win multiple Super Bowls, history indicates that you need a top tier QB. Even the teams that made it to the Super Bowl multiple times with the same core group of players--such as the Broncos of the '80s or the Bills of the '90s--tended to have very good quarterbacks.

You could point out that the goal doesn't have to be to win multiple Super Bowls--just one would be enough. But if you devise a plan that could win you multiple Super Bowls, and something goes a little wrong, maybe you'll still come away with at least one Super Bowl win. If on the other hand your plan will win you just one Super Bowl even if everything goes according to plan, you're not leaving yourself any leeway in case you get a few bad breaks.

I am comparing a guy who is the main cog in the offense, who is supposed to have rapport with and a feel for his WRs, and them for him...to a guy who, at best, is going to play a handful of plays a game.

You are right. It is crazy to compare them, but not for the reasons you suggest.

BTW, I am really not trying to defend Maybin, here. I just think what Favre did is far more disruptive to his team, than Maybin's failure to get signed in a timely manner.

You take these things too personally. I bet most of the players in the league are folks you wouldn't want to be around, and in any event Favre, for all of his flaws, isn't half the drama queen as our dear new receiver whom everyone now loves. Who gives a crap about that off-the-field stuff? If I based my like of the game on my liking of personalities, I wouldn't be a football fan for very long. From the guns to the fights to the DUIs to the wife beating -- I mean, come on!

Back to the issue at hand. Favre, regardless of his drama, leads teams to wins. That's inarguable. With him, the Jets were five games better than the year before, and the Pack was 7 games worse than the year before without him. Moreover, he is a huge upgrade for a good team with bad quarterbacks. His bad season in 2005 was largely attributable to being on a team that was *completely* bereft of talent on offense ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/team...2005_roster.htm ). Last year, he was excellent for the first 11 games. In the last five, he played with a torn muscle and wasn't nearly as good. He had surgery, and is now reported to be fine in that regard. I suspect he'll have a very good season.

I think reporters are tired of him for the obvious reasons, but who cares about them? If you were a Vikings fan, I suspect you'd be thrilled.

Favre is a drama queen, and a liar. Let's make that very clear.

Much as I disagree with the attitude and waffling of Favre, I think he has plenty of enablers who allow him to indulge in this behavior. Those include media outlets such as ESPN, teams such as the Jets & Vikings and fans of such teams who now flood the phone lines of sporting stores for a purple Favre jersey. As far as Favre is concerned, he waffles but implicitly lays out his conditions of employment - no training camp, hefty salary and a starter spot (to begin the season). Can you really blame him when teams are willing to capitulate and agree to these unsaid conditions ? The guy is the NFL equivalent of a cash cow - rides on previous reputation and rakes in the millions with really no long term commitment. I think your disgust should be first directed at the enablers and then at Favre.

I think reporters are tired of him for the obvious reasons, but who cares about them? If you were a Vikings fan, I suspect you'd be thrilled.

At $12.5 million a year for an ancient quarterback who hasn't taken his team deep into the playoffs in years (1998)? Hell no. I'm with Dean 100%.

Last year, he was excellent for the first 11 games. In the last five, he played with a torn muscle and wasn't nearly as good. He had surgery, and is now reported to be fine in that regard. I suspect he'll have a very good season.

Which leads to yet another problem with Brett. His consecutive game streak, while impressive, is a weight on any HC's shoulders. If Brett wasn't able to play effectively the last 5 games of last season, why was he starting?

If he isn't Brett Favre, you can sit him down. But nobody can mess with his consecutive start streak.

Sorry, Bret was a great QB, now he is OK. But a team is more than a QB and the Vikings have taken the public position that one player is bigger than the rest of their team, IMO.

Which leads to yet another problem with Brett. His consecutive game streak, while impressive, is a weight on any HC's shoulders. If Brett wasn't able to play effectively the last 5 games of last season, why was he starting?

If he isn't Brett Favre, you can sit him down. But nobody can mess with his consecutive start streak.

Sorry, Bret was a great QB, now he is OK. But a team is more than a QB and the Vikings have taken the public position that one player is bigger than the rest of their team, IMO.

IMO the Vikings have taken the position that they had all the pieces in place to compete for the Super Bowl EXCEPT for QB. They went out and signed a HOF QB that knows the offense they are running so well he could teach it.

Because Kellen Clemens was the backup

IMO the Vikings have taken the position that they had all the pieces in place to compete for the Super Bowl EXCEPT for QB. They went out and signed a HOF QB that knows the offense they are running so well he could teach it.

So, the whole idea of developing a rapport with your WRs, getting comfortable with the Center, practicing with the backs to get used to where they like the ball, etc...all that is pretty much nonsense? Maybe veteran starting QBs shouldn't bother to show up until the season starts, if that's true.

So, the whole idea of developing a rapport with your WRs, getting comfortable with the Center, practicing with the backs to get used to where they like the ball, etc...all that is pretty much nonsense? Maybe veteran starting QBs shouldn't bother to show up until the season starts, if that's true.

He still has three PRESEASON games to develop the chemistry with his new teammates. Look for Brett to play in the next game.

Favre is a drama queen, and a liar. Let's make that very clear. If he didn't have an extremely proficient past, nobody would support this foolishness. It should also be noted that most of his proficiency is several years removed. He was OK for part of last year, but his poor play toward the end of the season likely cost the Jets a playoff spot. Before that, he had one real good year, preceded by two very shaky years (one where he through 29 INTS).

He has played this self-aggrandizing retirement game for several years, now, and it is getting pretty old, IMO. It shows a complete lack of respect for the team.

It does indeed reek. If I owned the Vikings, I'd tell Favre it's either training camp or you're not on my team.

But he can still throw the ball. BTW, he doesn't compare to Kurt Warner, IMO.

Much as I disagree with the attitude and waffling of Favre, I think he has plenty of enablers who allow him to indulge in this behavior. Those include media outlets such as ESPN, teams such as the Jets & Vikings and fans of such teams who now flood the phone lines of sporting stores for a purple Favre jersey. As far as Favre is concerned, he waffles but implicitly lays out his conditions of employment - no training camp, hefty salary and a starter spot (to begin the season). Can you really blame him when teams are willing to capitulate and agree to these unsaid conditions ? The guy is the NFL equivalent of a cash cow - rides on previous reputation and rakes in the millions with really no long term commitment. I think your disgust should be first directed at the enablers and then at Favre.

Perfect post.

ALL KINDS OF FAVRE VIKINGS STUFF . . . JERSEYS, T-SHIRTS, etc AVAILABLE ON NFLSHOP.COM.

It's impossible to get these goods out in two to three days. Everyone knew all along he was coming back. Reebok knew something.

How did the Vikings players not know. They knew. They were the ones that leaked the story. Someone saw the boxes of Farve jerseys sitting in the back room.