Interesting Statistic on McGee

Sorry if this has been posted before, oh fellow Wallers, but I had never heard of it before. I was flipping through one of my fantasy football magazine and they rank the starting CBs in terms of how many times they were targeted, how many TDs they gave up and their percentage of being burned with one-on-one coverage in 2008.

Here are the worst starting CBs according to Sports Illustrated (in terms of percentage of being burned, starting with the worst)

1. Ronde Barber (Bucs): 94 times targeted, gave up 8 TDs (8.5% burned)

2. Rashean Mathis (Jags): 64 times targeted, gave up 5 TDs (7.8% burned)

3. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Cards): 92 times targeted, gave up 7 TDs (7.6% burned)

4. Nate Clements (49ers): 100 times targeted, gave up 7 TDs (7.0% burned)

5. Anthony Henry (Lions): 89 times targeted, gave up 6 TDs (6.7% burned)

Here are the best starting CBs (starting with the best)

1. Cortland Finnegan (Titans): 91 times targeted, gave up 0 TDs (0% burned)

2. Brandon Flowers (Chiefs): 86 times targeted, gave up 0 TDs (0% burned)

3. Sheldon Brown (Eagles): 68 times targeted, gave up 0 TDs (0% burned)

4. Nnamdi Asomugha (Raiders): 35 times targeted, gave up 0 TDs (0% burned)

5. Terrence McGee (Bills): 108 times targeted, gave up 1 TD (0.9% burned)

Pretty interesting stuff, just call him McLockdown. What amazed me was that McGee was targeted A LOT last season and really held up his own. Considering that McKelvin has another year under his belt and has looked like a phenom in preseason so far (not to mention the insane amount of depth we have in the secondary), I really think teams are going to have fits throwing against us this year.

If Schobel and Maybin can show up and give us solid pressures (not even sacks, just good consistent pressure around the edge that forces QBs to rush throws) we should have ourselves a handful of INTs this season.

Sorry if this has been posted before, oh fellow Wallers, but I had never heard of it before. I was flipping through one of my fantasy football magazine and they rank the starting CBs in terms of how many times they were targeted, how many TDs they gave up and their percentage of being burned with one-on-one coverage in 2008.

Here are the worst starting CBs according to Sports Illustrated (in terms of percentage of being burned, starting with the worst)

3. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Cards): 92 times targeted, gave up 7 TDs (7.6% burned)

Pretty interesting stuff, just call him McLockdown. What amazed me was that McGee was targeted A LOT last season and really held up his own. Considering that McKelvin has another year under his belt and has looked like a phenom in preseason so far (not to mention the insane amount of depth we have in the secondary), I really think teams are going to have fits throwing against us this year.

If Schobel and Maybin can show up and give us solid pressures (not even sacks, just good consistent pressure around the edge that forces QBs to rush throws) we should have ourselves a handful of INTs this season.

McGee is way underrated at CB. I'll take T McGee over Nate Clement's overrated ass anyday.

I have to admit, I'm surprised to see RBarber and NClements in the worst 5 list. It just shows that both players make the big plays @ times but in doing so they take a lot of chances and don't always gamble correctly.

Not really. If you notice, the players on the bad list are top corners, and they players on the good list aren't. Why? Because the better corners face the top receivers in the game. The other corners are facing average guys. This makes McGee's presence on the good list even more impressive, because he's facing top guys unlike the others around him there.

Not really. If you notice, the players on the bad list are top corners, and they players on the good list aren't. Why? Because the better corners face the top receivers in the game. The other corners are facing average guys. This makes McGee's presence on the good list even more impressive, because he's facing top guys unlike the others around him there.

I think that this is a factor, but I also think that what drunkenirishmann said is a factor, too.

I would say Nnamdi Asomugha is an elite corner... the dude is just ridiculous. These statistics only take into account the number of times they gave up touchdowns. Corners who go for the big plays are going to be the ones that give up more touchdowns. There are many times that there is a 10-20 yard pass that guys give up but are able to prevent the touchdown. That hurts nearly as much and happens MUCH more often than the TD pass.

the cover 2 is designed to force bad 3rd downs and be good at stopping the 3rd down, as well as stopping big plays (helping both).

the corner stats in the cover two will tend to be favorable (barber is just old and overated, like his brother always was).

i think we will keep mcgee, we extended him once and will likely do so again. our mccoverage will be beastly if we get a bit more of a rush up front.

I have to admit, I'm surprised to see RBarber and NClements in the worst 5 list. It just shows that both players make the big plays @ times but in doing so they take a lot of chances and don't always gamble correctly.

The best corners cover the best receivers, the best receivers get targeted by their QB the most. kind of a misleading stat

Many variables...

The preponderance of C2 coverage BUF plays, what was the opposing offense's field positions?, what was the game score differential at any point in time?, "handing off" coverage, touchdowns given up vs. completions denied...

I think, when trying to rate CBs, you have to also somehow factor in their effectiveness on run plays...tackles, assists, being in a position to cause a runner or blocker to juke or change directions. As well as taking the chance now and again, of "jumping" a route...and some glory-bound CBs abuse that IMO.

I think CBs are hard to rank or rate. I sure can't do it well.

you guys are thinking way to much into this. if you read the original post closely; "Sorry if this has been posted before, oh fellow Wallers, but I had never heard of it before. I was flipping through one of my fantasy football magazine and they rank the starting CBs in terms of how many times they were targeted, how many TDs they gave up and their percentage of being burned with one-on-one coverage in 2008". the rankings are based soley for the purposes of FANTASY FOOTBALL rankings not who are the best corners in the NFL.

I would say Nnamdi Asomugha is an elite corner... the dude is just ridiculous. These statistics only take into account the number of times they gave up touchdowns. Corners who go for the big plays are going to be the ones that give up more touchdowns. There are many times that there is a 10-20 yard pass that guys give up but are able to prevent the touchdown. That hurts nearly as much and happens MUCH more often than the TD pass.

Asomugha is far and away the best corner in the league.

you guys are thinking way to much into this. if you read the original post closely; "Sorry if this has been posted before, oh fellow Wallers, but I had never heard of it before. I was flipping through one of my fantasy football magazine and they rank the starting CBs in terms of how many times they were targeted, how many TDs they gave up and their percentage of being burned with one-on-one coverage in 2008". the rankings are based soley for the purposes of FANTASY FOOTBALL rankings not who are the best corners in the NFL.

Fantasy football rankings reach the same mythical status as many other rankings!

:blink:

GREAT POST!!! and I totally agree

HUH? Three of those corners are amongst the best in the NFL...

Uh, Asomugha is the best CB in the game and Finnegan's not that far behind. Basically, you've never heard of the guys on the "best" list, so they must not be that great.