The Michael Vick Thread

Simon

Things have been so blah with the Bills over the past 9 years...I say this: If you can bring in a world class athlete to help your football team, you do it. Especially a guy who is dying for a 2nd chance.

Get it done Ralph.

...and when that guy that can "help" becomes available, the Bills will pursue him.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't the Bills bring in a world-class DE that can actually get consistent pressure on a QB? Our pass rush ranked 28th last season and the Bills FO drafted 1 player to fix that problem (and no defensive end FA signings).

The hell with Mike "Who let the dogs out" Vick.

Why don't the Bills bring in a world-class DE that can actually get consistent pressure on a QB? Our pass rush ranked 28th last season and the Bills FO drafted 1 player to fix that problem (and no defensive end FA signings).

The hell with Mike "Who let the dogs out" Vick.

Which world class DE did they not bring in? Who was out there?

Any clarification of what "at this time" really means?

"at this time" means that the Bills have no interest in signing Vick at this time, because they don't have a need for him: i.e. they have a starting quarterback. logically, if something happened to that starting quarterback and he sustained a significant injury, then there is the chance -- and i stress chance -- that they would revisit discussing going after a starter, and that wouldn't rule out Vick. and note, i wrote, wouldn't rule out Vick. i didn't write they would go after Vick.

it's semantics, but it's as close to what i know to be true.

jw

ADD: and for those who don't follow me on twitter, i posted a tweet much to the same effect earlier.

this is madness and i love every second of it, it sure makes the work day glide along nicely

Frag that!

I had just gotten out a bunch of materials to texture teh ceiling and hang a new light fixture in my daughter's bath when this all started. Now here it is two hours later and I haven't done squat but throw a couple cloths down and stir up some mud.

Damn you Terrell Owens!

"at this time" means that the Bills have no interest in signing Vick at this time, because they don't have a need for him: i.e. they have a starting quarterback. logically, if something happened to that starting quarterback and he sustained a significant injury, then there is the chance -- and i stress chance -- that they would revisit discussing going after a starter, and that wouldn't rule out Vick. and note, i wrote, wouldn't rule out Vick. i didn't write they would go after Vick.

jw

Who is to say that any NFL team, let alone the Bills, is looking at Michael Vick to be their starting quarterback? I don't think that any team in this league is having those types of thoughts as far as Vick goes since he hasn't taken a snap in two seasons at the position. Many teams including Buffalo, however, have issues with their backup quarterbacks and see Vick as an experienced, potentially dynamic, alternative. In the meantime, he is probably very well-suited for a wild cat-type role in any offense. I don't understand why people are connecting the Vick rumors with Trent's job as starting quarterback. He is safe regardless of whether this happens or not.

updated 25 minutes ago from the AP:

PITTSFORD, N.Y. - The Buffalo Bills say they are not pursuing Michael Vick and have no plans to do so.

A burst of chatter on blogs, message boards and tweets about Buffalo being a possible match for the recently reinstated quarterback prompted Bills general manager Russ Brandon to address the question again on Thursday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090813/ap_on_...bn_vick_bills_2

jw

ADD: and for those who don't follow me on twitter, i posted a tweet much to the same effect earlier.

Missed in the mess is the genesis of all these crazy rumors is that Bills are looking to bring in another QB to camp.

Any nondenials of denials from OBD on that one?

updated 25 minutes ago

PITTSFORD, N.Y. - The Buffalo Bills say they are not pursuing Michael Vick and have no plans to do so.

A burst of chatter on blogs, message boards and tweets about Buffalo being a possible match for the recently reinstated quarterback prompted Bills general manager Russ Brandon to address the question again on Thursday.

Brandon said he’s sticking to the statement he made two weeks ago, when he said the Bills “have no interest at this time” in Vick. The general manager said he’s comfortable with the team’s roster and the Bills are settled on Trent Edwards as their starting quarterback.

HEY. PROVIDE A LINK TO THAT. THAT'S THE AP STORY.

jw

I'm in the minority (or majority, I can't tell with the bi-polarness of opinions on this site) in feeling this way, but I wish Buffalo would sign Vick.

To all the people who say he has nothing to offer, I think you're forgetting that this guy is a former 3x Pro Bowler and almost single-handedly took the Falcons to the playoffs twice in his 6 years in the NFL, surrounded by almost no valid WR's (save for his TE Crumpler).

In a division with a team whose "Wildcat" formation has revolutionized the league, I can think of no one better to run our own version of it than Michael Vick. His experience and out of this world athletic ability would provide stability behind Trent Edwards; something that I think Ryan Fitzpatrick can't. He hasn't looked close to average all camp and he was, at best, average in both St. Louis and Cincinnati. Hell, we are still unsure if Edwards is even the long term answer at this point.

Yes, bringing him would bring backlash from the terrorist group, PETA. But he would also bring more money and more national attention to our beloved Buffalo Bills. Terrell Owens has brought a fair amount of that already, but adding Vick would take it into the stratosphere. In a market where every dollar counts and relocation is more than a whisper in the wind, it would be a sound business decision.

I hope Russ Brandon and Ralph Wilson reconsider their "stance" and turn the "not interested at this time" to "interested" in the near future. Especially if Fitzpatrick & Hamdan continue to show nothing.