Bruuuuce left out one mention

Bruce did a great job in his speech tonight- it was just about a perfect Bills evening at the HOF. However, no one mentioned a teammate who was a big part of the last sniff the Bills had of the playoffs, with Smith, Reed and Thomas still on the team. The one who enabled the Bills to "circle the wagons" on offense for what was the last time for that group of players (minus Kelly, who had retired).

I mean of course the Diminutive One, Doug Flutie.

I remember one game where Flutie ran for a TD on a broken play toward the end of the season to win a game, and Bruce picked him up on the sidelines like a ragdoll. I think Paul Maguire said something like, "Bruce has children bigger than Flutie". Euphoria. Berman. Wagons circling again.

The last good time this organization had in 10 years was when Flutie was on the team with Smith & Co. Why no mention?

(Ignorant dwarf jokes begin...now)

The last quarterback to lead the Bills to the playoffs isn't significant?

No.

Skin Flutie was a blip on the career of Bruce Smith. He didn't belong anywhere near that speech.

No.

Skin Flutie was a blip on the career of Bruce Smith. He didn't belong anywhere near that speech.

"Skin Flutie"- why do some members of Bills Nation have it out for this guy? Granted he was no Kelly, but there have been only a handful of QB's in the 50 year history of the Bills to play postseason for us- Kemp. Lamonica, Ferguson, Kelly, Reich and Flutie.

Given the rarity of the species and the object of the NFL regular season, it just seems puzzling. Is it because we didn't draft him?

Again, great day for the Bills, and we should all be stoked for the season.

Bruce did a great job in his speech tonight- it was just about a perfect Bills evening at the HOF. However, no one mentioned a teammate who was a big part of the last sniff the Bills had of the playoffs, with Smith, Reed and Thomas still on the team. The one who enabled the Bills to "circle the wagons" on offense for what was the last time for that group of players (minus Kelly, who had retired).

I remember one game where Flutie ran for a TD on a broken play toward the end of the season to win a game, and Bruce picked him up on the sidelines like a ragdoll. I think Paul Maguire said something like, "Bruce has children bigger than Flutie". Euphoria. Berman. Wagons circling again.

The last good time this organization had in 10 years was when Flutie was on the team with Smith & Co. Why no mention?

I haven't seen the vid yet. But I hope he didn't leave out Phil Hansen. He was Bruce's other bookend.

The last quarterback to lead the Bills to the playoffs isn't significant?

You mean the last QB who lost a playoff game for the Bills?

And before you bring up Rob Johnson, he left the field with a lead against the Titans. Little Dougie fumbled the ball on the Miami 1yd line on the last play of the 1999 playoff game vs the Dolphins.

I know some of you worship the ground Flutie walks on, but let's maintain some perspective here.

PTR

"Skin Flutie"- why do some members of Bills Nation have it out for this guy? Granted he was no Kelly, but there have been only a handful of QB's in the 50 year history of the Bills to play postseason for us- Kemp. Lamonica, Ferguson, Kelly, Reich and Flutie.

Given the rarity of the species and the object of the NFL regular season, it just seems puzzling. Is it because we didn't draft him?

It's not so much the player but the cult that surrounds him, inflating his accomplishments to exaggerated heights. The guy was a decent QB until opposing players stopped biting on his little jump fake. He was very charismatic. And there's no question that Doug probably saved the Bills franchise in 1998 when the team had to sell so many luxury suites. He got people fired up about the Bills again. But do not raise Doug Flutie to the level of other Bills HOF'ers. It's a disservice.

PTR

I thought it was interesting that he mentioned his own sleep apnea in the context of Darryl Talley having to be his roommate for ten years and dealing with his snoring. Reggie White died in part due to sleep apnea. While they were the two great defensive ends of their era and Bruce had no obligation necessarily to mention White, but it would have been nice.

He did mention Hansen. Two Bills that I didn't hear him mention were Shane Conlan and Ray Bentley. They were the big omissions that I noticed.

No mention of Chuck Dickerson either but I wasn't really expecting it.

Please, on this great day, can everyone let this feud die. I request that no one else post in this thread, and let it go. We're all Bills fans, whether you think Flutie got screwed, or whether you think he did some screwing of his own. Bruce did what he thought was right, maybe he just didn't have time, maybe he wanted to dwell on happier years.

I think he did mention Hansen.

of course he dissed hansen and wright often in radio interviews......of course he didnt mention them by name. But his whole premise of being the greatest of all time was that he was double and triple teamed and had little help....hmmmmm---

U shoulda heard him interviewed on Sac CA radio

I thought it was interesting that he mentioned his own sleep apnea in the context of Darryl Talley having to be his roommate for ten years and dealing with his snoring. Reggie White died in part due to sleep apnea. While they were the two great defensive ends of their era and Bruce had no obligation necessarily to mention White, but it would have been nice.

He did mention Hansen. Two Bills that I didn't hear him mention were Shane Conlan and Ray Bentley. They were the big omissions that I noticed.

Agreed.

You must be burning tree? right? Doug who?

Troll. WTF does Flutie have to do with Bruce Smith? To try to interject that garbage on his day is classless. :lol:

He also left out Jack Daniels and his good friend Jim Beam.

Give the guy a break. When you accomplish what he did, you can mention whoever you want in your speech too.

Ray Bentley? Doug Flutie?

Come on guys...

Like SDS said, he didn't leave out anyone of significance.

Outstanding speech, congrats Bruce!