Might be stating the obvious

eball

The Bills got NOTHING out of these two last year, and lost Schobel for most of the season. Along with Maybin, the defense essentially gets four new players on the line if Ellis makes the appropriate 2nd-year jump and McCargo finally "gets it." With Kyle Williams, Stroud, Spencer Johnson, and Chryan Kelsenny, all of a sudden the D-line rotation looks pretty damn good.

Just sayin...

"Chryan Kelsenny", funny, it took me a minute, but i finally figured it out, they're like twins.

It might be stating the obvious but its a very good point, staying healthy can make this a potential top 10 defense or better. The only thing that worries me is the LB depth, behing Poz, Veek, and (ellison), there are no studs, at least they haven't shown themselves yet, maybe we shall see in the preseason. But you're right, the rotation looks good. . . :devil:

The Bills got NOTHING out of these two last year, and lost Schobel for most of the season. Along with Maybin, the defense essentially gets four new players on the line if Ellis makes the appropriate 2nd-year jump and McCargo finally "gets it." With Kyle Williams, Stroud, Spencer Johnson, and Chryan Kelsenny, all of a sudden the D-line rotation looks pretty damn good.

Just sayin...

agreed. :devil:

Just sayin...

Pretty damn good is pushing the envelope very far. Even assuming that either Ellis or McCargo improves greatly (nothing certain there), Maybin is a rookie, and Kelsay and Denney just aren't very good, and Schobel is old.

But, fingers crossed.

I would be happy if this group was in the top half of NFL lines. Bottom third equally likely, top third a reach.

Sorry

Assuming production out of any of those guys listed is a stretch. No past performance would indicated a leap of production for either McCargo or Ellis. Schobel is old and seems to be hurt every year... Its hard to expect him to start all 16 games. Maybin is a rookie and I dont expect much from him, mainly because he is going to be a 3rd and long pass rusher his rookie year and I dont see us forcing many 3rd and longs. We can hope these guys perform, and you are rigt they need to for the Bills to succeed, I just dont see it happening.

Just sayin...

:devil:

Here's hoping!! :devil:

Just sayin...

Chryan Kelsenny - Outstanding! :devil::devil:

I agree with almost everything. The only thing you cannot expect is for Ellis to make the "appropriate" 2nd year jump, since he was injured for his entire first year, wasn't he?

Just sayin...

I agree. But I have a bad feeling that we'll see Ellis be a healthy scratch quite a bit this year. They've got Denney, Kelsay, Maybin, Schobel, and Spencer Johnson (who sometimes to swings to DE) at ends. Unless Ellis shows he can be a ST demon and make some plays when he's in there on D, then I just don't see us getting any production out of him.

I think there is reason for optimism, but that's the case every off season. But the reality is the guys you mention that will be "new" players, all have issues when you plug these players into your mind and attempt to vision the defense getting better.

Fist Schobel at his very best is not an impact player. We all agree he is not a speed rusher, and ever since he lost 20lbs in the "faster" defense attempt by Jauron, he's been a shell of himself.

Second to count on Ellis and McCargo is like hoping the economy will turn around.

Thirdly Maybin is a rookie. If he gets 6 sacks he will be among the top tier in sack totals as a rookie the last 10 years. That's not exactly going to turn our pass rush around. I think if he contributes to the pass rush, and can swing to the LB position in some 3-4 sets and holds his own, we should all be happy with that.

These guys are all unproven commodities, so I just don't think it puts us in the top 10.

Chryan Kelsenny - Outstanding! :thumbdown::censored:

I agree with almost everything. The only thing you cannot expect is for Ellis to make the "appropriate" 2nd year jump, since he was injured for his entire first year, wasn't he?

Ellis was healthy just did not play despite injuries to Shobel etc. Bowen was the injured rookie

Just sayin...

We have also lost Jabari Gree and Florence is replacing him at the Nickel position. Similarly, Ko Simpson is probably the odd man out in the defensive backfield....That is at least 6 new players on the defense.

Just sayin...

Currently Ellis is on the third team defense w/o Maybin in camp. My bet is he doesn't even make the team. McCargo is the key though. If he does develop it would be a nice DT rotation. DT is a position of late bloomers so it is not impossible for him to get better over time. One of the few good moves the FO has made was to trade for Stroud instead of drafting another DT.

Currently Ellis is on the third team defense w/o Maybin in camp. My bet is he doesn't even make the team.

The Bills had 5 DE on the opening day roster last year. This year they will be: Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Ellis, and Maybin. The odd man out is Copeland Bryan.

I've actually somewhere that Ellis may be doing well this camp--can't recall if it was a sportswriter or fan, but someone who watched some of the practices was saying that he looks a lot bigger and quicker this camp. I hope they're right, but I guess we'll see.....

Just sayin...

Sounds good to me

Schobel is old and seems to be hurt every year... Its hard to expect him to start all 16 games.

I believe the nagging injury Schobel experienced last season caused him to miss his first game action ever, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Schoble isn't exactly ancient. He's a seasoned, experienced vet, and is getting to an age where might start to slow down. On the other hand, maybe not. Every player is different. Eric Moulds, Marvin Harrison - great players who are finished after father time caught up with them. Drafted in the same class - Terrell Owens, who seems to still be going strong.

Schobel's presence should provide a huge upgrade over last year's DE alignment.