Maiorana and Roth: Langston Walker Not Real Happy at LT

Walker played fine in the games that FatBoy sat out last year.

Not really worried about the o-line at all - there's no way Walker could be any worse than that stupid lazy POS Peters was on this play...

walker played fine in the easy part of the schedule against teams with no speed rushers. hopefully edwards doesn't get his head ripped out of the socket

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likewise, the team never knows how many years they'll get out of a player, so when they give him a decent signing bonus (which is guaranteed) they expect him to play out his contract assuming he's healthy. Especially after renegotiating his contract once already.

Did you miss the previous posts about players out performing their contacts and making the pro bowl, Like I stated Peters was being underpaid by 6 million dollars, or more, per year.

What about Marcus Stroud, wasn't that a slap in Peters face to see a player come in as a free agent and then the Bills redo his contact the very next year?

The Buffalo Bills officially declared last year's trade for defensive tackle Marcus Stroud a success by giving him a two-year contract extension worth $8.25 million a year, Stroud's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4050434

Seems like teams can do as they please,whenever they please.

Honestly, I don't think Peters was greedy at first, had the Bills simply upped his contract more then Walker or Dockery he more then likely would have been satisfied. The guy was the only Bills pro bowl player and the the Bills best offensive player and they managed to get him mad and lose him.

What about Marcus Stroud, wasn't that a slap in Peters face to see a player come in as a free agent and then the Bills redo his contact the very next year?

The Buffalo Bills officially declared last year's trade for defensive tackle Marcus Stroud a success by giving him a two-year contract extension worth $8.25 million a year, Stroud's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told ESPN.com.

Try not to contradict yourself. Stroud did not come in as a free agent, as in the quote you provided: he was acquired in a trade, and it is common for teams to trade for a player and then rework their contract. So no, I doubt it was a slap in the face to Peters.

Did you miss the previous posts about players out performing their contacts and making the pro bowl, Like I stated Peters was being underpaid by 6 million dollars, or more, per year.

No, I didn't miss them, but I obviously don't agree with you. The Bills gave him a contract which was fairly high at that time for a guy who was an unknown RT prospect, with the idea that it was a gamble, but they thought he was worth locking up. They paid him very well, especially considering he was a restricted free agent and his only option was to play for the Bills or not play football in the NFL.

As for Stroud, as another poster has already pointed out, the only contract he signed with the Bills was the new one, since he was traded before last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4050434

Seems like teams can do as they please,whenever they please.

Honestly, I don't think Peters was greedy at first, had the Bills simply upped his contract more then Walker or Dockery he more then likely would have been satisfied. The guy was the only Bills pro bowl player and the the Bills best offensive player and they managed to get him mad and lose him.

The Bills have shown that they are willing to rework the contracts of deserving players. They already did it once for Peters, and would have done it again, I'm sure, after they got the Evans situation resolved, but Peters proved to be a petulant ass hole, and gave a half-assed effort last season because he didn't get what he wanted when he wanted it. Guy also failed to finish the last two seasons due to injury, and apparently is now on the Eagles PUP list.

The Bills have certain expectations of how a player should behave while posturing for more $$$, and Mr. 6-Wonderlic apparently couldn't quite break that code.

Yes he hates the move so much that he was in the gym this morning at 6:30am after having a night practice. Also if he does well you can bet he will make more money down the line being a LT.

This is laughable.

From seconds ago..Mark Gaughan's Live Chat:

Q: The guys at the D&C suggested Langston Walker is not pleased to be playing LT. What's your take? Are the Bills hoping to get Demetrius Bell ready to take over sooner rather than later?

12:33 Langston is a smart guy and he's very cautious about all his comments on left tackle. This was an organizational decision that he not only can play left tackle but thrive there. So if he fails it's Wilson-Brandon-Jauron all to be blamed.

I take it that Mark agrees that Walker less than thrilled to be at LT.

PTR

Could be yet another Ralph mandate.

"I'm not paying Peters, move Walker to LT, MAKE IT SO!" :doh:

The Bills have shown that they are willing to rework the contracts of SOME deserving players. They already did it once for Peters, and would have done it again, I WOULD GUESS WITH NO ACTUAL EVIDENCE OR KNOWLEDGE, after they got the Evans situation resolved ...

Fixed.

They didn't rework the contracts of Pat Williams, Greer, Clements, Winfield ... And the list goes on and on.

What was the offer for Dockery that the Bills "screwed up?" And how did they screw it up?

Regarding the bolded part, Peters has been in the NFL for 5 years. So if the average life span of a player is three years, giving him a gigantic contract, when he's missed 2 games due to injury the past 2 years, isn't exactly smart is it? And as of this moment, he's on the PUP list for the Eagles. Nevermind the utter lack of professionalism he showed last year, which, if the Bills "lowballed" him, was probably the reason they didn't go as high as he thought he deserved.

And the Bills must think highly of Bell, if Clark Judge saw fit to write about it.

Yeah, he's on the PUP list for Philly right now. Saw that. Did you see the injury? Peters has a "QUAD SPASM." Man, those quad spasms are murder. This is likely a three-to-four lost seasons type of thing. (Sarcasm off.)

Players are often put on the PUP list for 2 or 3 days during training camp. It means nothing.

Fixed.

They didn't rework the contracts of Pat Williams, Greer, Clements, Winfield ... And the list goes on and on.

No evidence other than the two times in five years he asked for a reworked contract.

And Williams, Greer, Clements, Winfield, etc... these guys were all happy to go to free agency and get new contracts.

Fixed.

I love Jason Peters.

Fixed.

Williams and Winfield were under the Donahoe regime. Clements was asking for a ridiculous amount of $$$$ - more than he was worth.

So, apparently, was Peters, who - despite having his contract reworked once - demanded more based on one season's performance, gave a half-assed effort last season - leading the league among blindside tackles in sacks allowed, failed to finish the last two seasons due to injury, and now sits on the Eagles PUP list. :doh:

Yeah, he's on the PUP list for Philly right now. Saw that. Did you see the injury? Peters has a "QUAD SPASM." Man, those quad spasms are murder. This is likely a three-to-four lost seasons type of thing. (Sarcasm off.)

Players are often put on the PUP list for 2 or 3 days during training camp. It means nothing.

Peters has missed the last 2 games of the season the past 2 years. So there's a concern.

Being on the PUP list was likely a polite way of saying that he came into camp in less-than-optimal condition. And it seemed to take Peters by surprise. Welcome to Philly!

walker played fine in the easy part of the schedule against teams with no speed rushers. hopefully edwards doesn't get his head ripped out of the socket

Forget it with The Swimmer...he'll continue his anti-Peters crusade ad nauseam.

Don't ever forget that the Peters' trade was in essence a salary dump. They take the cap hit for this season but don't pay the salary. It's music to RW's ears. Fans will learn in due time that hoping a Walker, Chambers, or Bell could play well at the position was a poor plan.

The entire point that I'm trying to get across,

Did the Bills create the problem with Peters by bringing in free agents with less ability and pay them much more then Peters?

Did Peters outperform his 4 million a year contract by making the pro bowl 2x, while other LT's are being paid 6 million a year more then him?

Go on and tell me the Bills have a better offensive line without Peters protecting Edwards blind side.

I don't love Peters, but I'd love it if he were still a Bill and didn't have to worry about Edwards blind side. Didn't have to wonder if a 366b LT *cough* *cough*(closer to 400lbs then 350lbs) can adequately block the speed rushers he will face this season.

I only hope Langston Walker takes this move to heart and trims down to 330lbs and pancakes every rusher he faces.

Yes he hates the move so much that he was in the gym this morning at 6:30am after having a night practice. Also if he does well you can bet he will make more money down the line being a LT.

This is laughable.

If he does well and trims down to 330lbs and pancakes every speed rusher he faces, makes the pro bowl. Will the Bills pay him or trade him... that is laughable.

If he does well and trims down to 330lbs and pancakes every speed rusher he faces, makes the pro bowl. Will the Bills pay him or trade him... that is laughable.

If he makes the Pro Bowl, it will be based on performance, not rep like Peters last year. But if that happens, the more important question is, will he holdout until 2 days before the season starts, play like crap, and then refuse to negotiate with the Bills unless he gets his numbers?

I think that everybody (including the bills) know that this isn't a long term solution at LT.....they probably just didn't want to take a chance ant putting D. Bell in that spot just yet and are looking for a veteran to hold down the spot for a while.

I dont think we see L. Walker at LT next year

you are correct

we will not see Walker all

he and his bloated contract will be sent packing as the Bills return to their austerity ways on the OL.

His failure at LT will be the excuse used

I keep on hearing how the bills redo contracts for SOME players

Isnt there a common theme of those players that they actually come into camp and be part of the team while they work this out?

Also they haven't already redone contracts once before. You can't just do that :devil: every other year.

I keep on hearing how the bills redo contracts for SOME players

Isnt there a common theme of those players that they actually come into camp and be part of the team while they work this out?

Schobel skipped mini-camp two years ago after Kelsay signed his 4yr 23M deal. Coincidentally, this came after a Pro Bowl season and he got his extension. Buffalo handles each player a little differently, although Schobel and Evans' extensions came after many months of negotiations.

Schobel skipped mini-camp two years ago after Kelsay signed his 4yr 23M deal. Coincidentally, this came after a Pro Bowl season and he got his extension. Buffalo handles each player a little differently, although Schobel and Evans' extensions came after many months of negotiations.

Like Peters, Schobel had 3 years left on his deal when he got his extension.

The entire point that I'm trying to get across,

Did the Bills create the problem with Peters by bringing in free agents with less ability and pay them much more then Peters?

Did Peters outperform his 4 million a year contract by making the pro bowl 2x, while other LT's are being paid 6 million a year more then him?

Go on and tell me the Bills have a better offensive line without Peters protecting Edwards blind side.

I don't love Peters, but I'd love it if he were still a Bill and didn't have to worry about Edwards blind side. Didn't have to wonder if a 366b LT *cough* *cough*(closer to 400lbs then 350lbs) can adequately block the speed rushers he will face this season.

I only hope Langston Walker takes this move to heart and trims down to 330lbs and pancakes every rusher he faces.

well ?

I'm just curious, should the Bills' FO re-up every player's contract when they have a good season and demand top 5 money? We have multiple players primed to be in exactly that position. Where do you draw the line? Or do you propose we allow the players to dictate their salary each year?

I love how everyone was so happy with the FO for locking up this great potential talent to a reasonable contact. Then 2 years later, when the player complains, everyone is pissed at the FO for not re-upping his contract like he wanted. I suppose in hindsight, the FO shouldn't have given him a nice raise and insist he earn it at LT first. But, then again, I imagine everyone would be pissed because they didn't lock him up to a longer term, reasonably priced contract when they had the chance.

The FO handled the Peters situation as well as could be expected. Just face it, some people you cannot make happy. They just don't want to be here. Or worse yet, all they care about is the money. And those are usually the ones that drop off considerably once they get it.

Now, did the FO handle replacing Peters properly? That's the point of this thread, and one worth discussing. For me, I'll wait to see a little of Walker's play on the field in the preseason before I get too worked up about a few comments; especially, knowing Walker's sense of humor and conversation style.

As well as can be expected, if you don't expect anything. Sure.

The implication that Peters never wanted to play in Buffalo is obviously false. Nobody forced him at gunpoint to sign with the Bills as a UDFA. He came to Buffalo because they were his favorite team.

Peters not wanting to stay in Buffalo was not the cause of him asking for a pay raise. He asked for a pay raise because he saw they spent top dollar on average (being generous) players like Dockery and Walker. Brandon then told him in no uncertain terms that there was no way he was getting a new deal.

It is also false that they couldn't have made him happy. They could have paid him what he was worth and not overpaid guys that play similar positions.

People need to get over the notion that Jason Peters "owed" his employer absolute loyalty regardless of what his employer chose to do. That's ridiculous and only someone with a total absence of self-respect would subscribe to that. If there are two burger joints across the street from each other and the manager of burger joint A hires the two hot cashiers from burger joint B, pays them 3 or 4 times what he pays his best employee (we'll call him Dan), and then tells Dan there is absolutely, positively no way Dan is getting a raise because he's trying to woo another hot chick from the coffee shop to work for him then there is a pretty good chance Dan will be angry. Then say the manager is heard yelling, "Get the fug out, Dan. Get back to work and clean out the men's bathroom. Some kid just blew chunks in there." To say Dan should be loyal to the manager because the manager "took a chance" on him and that Dan should just set aside his last ounce of self-respect is a real stretch. Who does that? A slave? Really, Dan would be a complete and utter tool if he didn't go across the street and talk to the manager of burger joint B about a job and a possible raise. That's not to say that the situation between Peters and Brandon was exactly like the analogy above, but it reeked of great bitterness and to insist that it was all Dan's fault because he wouldn't mop out the men's room -- the only thing we could see from the outside -- is a one-sided viewpoint.

All the more reason to hope D. Bell is improving on a daily basis...and that Wood is as good as advertised so he can take a lot of pressure off Walker on the left side.

EXACTLY what I was thinking..... Bell Should be ready by game 8..

EXACTLY what I was thinking..... Bell Should be ready by game 8..

Based on what? All those snaps he's getting in training camp? This is another situation where the fans and team are hoping that an untested player can contribute. Bell is being hyped as a guy with plenty of potential, but that just means he ain't done anything yet. When I look at the pass rushers coming from the right this year (Freeney, M. Williams, J. Porter 2x, Ad. Thomas 2x, Abraham, Peppers, et al) it should scare even the most casual uninformed fan.

This is year four of a rebuild that is hopefully (there's that word again) close to getting this team to a playoff berth. And we're talking about the most important position on the OL relying on a guy who hasn't taken a NFL snap and another expected to change jobs after 7 seasons in the league. Wow.

Howie Long Chris Long

Nelson Piquet Nelson Piquet Jr.

Mohammed Ali and daughter

Griese and Brian Griese

Those are within one second of thinking I am sure that there are hundreds of examples.

Genes do count, a lot. It is not just hair color that is inherited.

Archie Manning; Peyton & Eli

Tom Ruud; Barrett Ruud

Ken Griffey; Ken Griffey Jr

Gil Byrd; Jairus Byrd

So you have a problem with them bringing in free agents? At the time, there really was almost no negative reaction, because dockery was supposed to be a real force on the interior of the line. They did what they could to et better on the linterior, although granted it didn't work out.

Yes, he did out out perform his contract. But when it was given him, he hadn't proven :devil: , and the Bills were giving him more than he had earned / deserved at that point with the expectation that he would grow into it.

No, they don't. But they couldn't rely on him like they could in previous years, so they got what they could for him.

Huge amount of D. Bell glossing came from one Bills drive before the Peters trade- after the Peters Trade nada - at this point I think it was blowing smoke, a time honored negotiating tactic but earlier I was imagining Bell as the guy who is going to make us all forget about Peters.

Interesting thought.

If this is true, -and I've routinely questioned both reporters- then LW doesn't have 'much' upstairs. If I'm not mistaken, LT is the second highest paid position in the NFL. Succeed, and he'll make more $$ then he could even imagine in his wildest dreams.

With this attitude, if accurate, he'd probably be broke 5 years after he retires anyway.

Suck it up, Lumpy! :devil:

P.S. who's out there for a tryout.. :devil:

Hunh? Walker is extremely bright. He graduated from Berkeley and the one thing people always say about the guy is the breadth of his knowledge and how he would make a terrific dinner companion. Walker is smart, real smart.

The question is whether Walker is a good fit at LT. He already knows that he IS a good fit at RT, and makes very nice money doing that.

No evidence other than the two times in five years he asked for a reworked contract.

And Williams, Greer, Clements, Winfield, etc... these guys were all happy to go to free agency and get new contracts.

Yeah, and what is the reason he asked twice for a new contract? It wouldn't be because he got a promotion twice, would it? Oh, yeah, it would.

When you get promoted, you expect more responsibiliites. With that, you also expect better money.

He got promoted from TE to RT. He played superbly there. He got better money.

Then he got promoted again from RT to LT. He played superbly there. He very reasonably expected more money. This is the way the world works. When you get promoted, you expect more money.

Sal and Leo must be great guys to party with. They have to be the most negative sports writers in the country and just generally miserable people overall. If you listen to the Podcast, they can't even pronounce T.O.'s first name correctly.

They can talk all they want about the Bills being losers, but Sal and Leo define the term.

Will the Bills' O-Line perform poorly this year? Sure, it's a possibility. But given their performance last year, the Bills had to shake things up. If Langston Walker allows 11 sacks this year, it'll be one less than "All-Pro" Jason Peters did, and he didn't even play the whole year. I am not a blind Bills' follower, but let's give the new O-Line a chance before burying them.

Now THAT deserved a bump. Good sh--.

Fixed.

Williams and Winfield were under the Donahoe regime. Clements was asking for a ridiculous amount of $$$$ - more than he was worth.

So, apparently, was Peters, who - despite having his contract reworked once - demanded more based on one season's performance, gave a half-assed effort last season - leading the league among blindside tackles in sacks allowed, failed to finish the last two seasons due to injury, and now sits on the Eagles PUP list. :devil:

Yeah, and the Bills policy of paying players has changed so much from regime to regime, hasn't it? Yeah, under Donahoe they were big spenders and now, nothing. Or, wait, was it the other way around? Their money policies come basically from Ralph, and also from Russ, who worked on salaries under Donahoe. So, your point doesn't make any actual sense. The Bills have been consistent about this for years if not decades.

Again you use a stat that is not an official stat. People who use "sacks allowed" do it for one of two reasons. One is that they don't know much about football. The other is that they desperately hate Jason Peters and will say absolutely anything to attack him, reasonable or not. Which is your reason? Not that we don't already know.

(sarcasm on) And yeah, he's on the PUP list. Chances are he might very well be there another two or three days. This is a huge deal. After all, he has a "quad spasm." We all know how devastating those can be. Those poor Eagles. They had to put seven guys on the PUP list on the same day. The whole team must be devastated. (sarcasm off)

During training camp, that means nothing. Basically, the Eagles wanted a chance to see how seven guys they couldn't fit on the roster would do against NFL competition for a few days.

I've seen you write good posts. This one only shows your hatred of Peters has graduated to the vein-popping, tomato-faced, drooling stage.

Yeah, and what is the reason he asked twice for a new contract? It wouldn't be because he got a promotion twice, would it? Oh, yeah, it would.

When you get promoted, you expect more responsibiliites. With that, you also expect better money.

He got promoted from TE to RT. He played superbly there. He got better money.

Then he got promoted again from RT to LT. He played superbly there. He very reasonably expected more money. This is the way the world works. When you get promoted, you expect more money.

Sure, you can ask for a raise when you get a promotion. But when your last raise was more than you had earned at that point, and when you stop showing up for work, you're not going to get it. The first raise came before he had actually established himself as an OT, but the Bills thought he would pretty good, and gave him some pretty good $ up front. He was desperate for it and took it. And as for your attack on Wilson's spending, weren't you the one who was complaining about paying Dockery? It may not have worked out in that case, but you can't have it both ways.

Yeah, and the Bills policy of paying players has changed so much from regime to regime, hasn't it? Yeah, under Donahoe they were big spenders and now, nothing. Or, wait, was it the other way around? Their money policies come basically from Ralph, and also from Russ, who worked on salaries under Donahoe. So, your point doesn't make any actual sense. The Bills have been consistent about this for years if not decades.

Again you use a stat that is not an official stat. People who use "sacks allowed" do it for one of two reasons. One is that they don't know much about football. The other is that they desperately hate Jason Peters and will say absolutely anything to attack him, reasonable or not. Which is your reason? Not that we don't already know.

(sarcasm on) And yeah, he's on the PUP list. Chances are he might very well be there another two or three days. This is a huge deal. After all, he has a "quad spasm." We all know how devastating those can be. Those poor Eagles. They had to put seven guys on the PUP list on the same day. The whole team must be devastated. (sarcasm off)

During training camp, that means nothing. Basically, the Eagles wanted a chance to see how seven guys they couldn't fit on the roster would do against NFL competition for a few days.

I've seen you write good posts. This one only shows your hatred of Peters has graduated to the vein-popping, tomato-faced, drooling stage.

I thought the OLine needed time to jel/gel. (sarcasm on) If Philly can shuffle new OLineman willy nilly during training camp, then I guess that conventional wisdom doesn't apply to them. And why would it? It's not like they sought after and paid top dollar for "one of the best players at the game's most important position" (sarcasm off)