What ObamaCare might mean for you

Yes, you're only making more of an ass of yourself. Capitalism is about profit. And I can see you're anti-capitalist. Therefore, there is no reasoning with you.

not entirely true. you're referring to ultra-capitalism, which is profit for profit's sake, also known as greed.

true capitalists, starting with Henry Ford, actually realized that gouging the employee didn't work, because there'd be no one to buy his cars. so he raised wages. that's very much unlike today's m.o., in which enron, wall street and corporate decisions to move factories offshore to reap increased profits has helped put the western-based economies into the fix that they're in.

but what do i know, i'm simply anti-whatever it is that you want to call me.

jw

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you're only making more of an ass of yourself. Capitalism is about profit. And I can see you're anti-capitalist. Therefore, there is no reasoning with you.

Which, in your opinion, is the most true?

1] Capitalism is about making the most profit, period, damn the torpedoes.

2] Capitalism is about making the most profit anyway you possibly can under the law, even if it means gaming the system and taking advantage of loopholes and people.

3] Capitalism is about making the most profit, all the while doing the right thing as much as possible.

2] Capitalism is about making the most profit anyway you possibly can under the law, even if it means gaming the system and taking advantage of loopholes and people.

3] Capitalism is about making the most profit, all the while doing the right thing as much as possible.

I havn't been following the dialogue of this conversation, but I can tell you that number 2 is the closest thing that resembles capitalism through out most of the free trade world from the examples you just mentioned.

Where is "4) Making the most profit in the most ethical and beneficial way possible without the Federal Government watching over me and twisting my arm"?

What's Phase II again :rolleyes:

Where is "4) Making the most profit in the most ethical and beneficial way possible without the Federal Government watching over me and twisting my arm"?

Who is doing that ("Making the most profit in the most ethical and beneficial way possible")? If you leave them alone, they immediately become 1] or at the very least, somewhere between 1] and 2].

I would imagine most if not all reasonable people would think the ideal (but unrealistic) way would be 3] but the most realistic way would be somewhere between 2] and 3].

Who is doing that ("Making the most profit in the most ethical and beneficial way possible")? If you leave them alone, they immediately become 1] or at the very least, somewhere between 1] and 2].

I would imagine most if not all reasonable people would think the ideal (but unrealistic) way would be 3] but the most realistic way would be somewhere between 2] and 3].

I think most companies operate under that principle. Are there some that don't? Sure. Enron comes to mind. but for every Enron, there's a Starbucks.

I think most companies operate under that principle. Are there some that don't? Sure. Enron comes to mind. but for every Enron, there's a Starbucks.

Starbucks and companies like it don't need much regulation, they just need to stop building Starbucks across the street from their competition, Starbucks.

Enron on the other hand...

I don't think the government can solve everything, I don't think the government is efficient, I'm a huge fan of capitalism and making a lot of money. But look at a lot of the biggest industries: Big Oil I think they fukk the public, Big Insurance companies fukk the public, Drug companies fukk the public, Banks are great in some ways but go out of their way to fool the public, the same as Wall Street. If big toy companies and big food companies and big appliance companies weren't regulated by the government they would be selling you food that kills you and children's toys blow up in your kid's face and toasters that start fires in your kitchen when you're not home and paint with lead in it.

People are greedy. Some greed is very good, and an equal amount isn't.

Starbucks and companies like it don't need much regulation, they just need to stop building Starbucks across the street from their competition, Starbucks.

I don't think the government can solve everything, I don't think the government is efficient, I'm a huge fan of capitalism and making a lot of money. But look at a lot of the biggest industries: Big Oil I think they fukk the public, Big Insurance companies fukk the public, Drug companies fukk the public, Banks are great in some ways but go out of their way to fool the public, the same as Wall Street. If big toy companies and big food companies and big appliance companies weren't regulated by the government they would be selling you food that kills you and children's toys blow up in your kid's face and toasters that start fires in your kitchen when you're not home and paint with lead in it.

Technically, Enron was regulated.

That's why their executives are serving time now, and their auditor no longer exists.

Technically, Enron was regulated.

That's why their executives are serving time now, and their auditor no longer exists.

Didnt say Enron wasn't regulated, just that companies like it need to be. What they did was an aberration, of course. But companies like that must be regulated (I read "The Smartest Guys in the Room" as well as saw the movie of the same name a few years ago), otherwise there would be a whole lot more Enrons.

Didnt say Enron wasn't regulated, just that companies like it need to be. What they did was an aberration, of course. But companies like that must be regulated (I read "The Smartest Guys in the Room" as well as saw the movie of the same name a few years ago), otherwise there would be a whole lot more Enrons.

So you're arguing for a change to the status quo? :w00t:

not entirely true. you're referring to ultra-capitalism, which is profit for profit's sake, also known as greed.

true capitalists, starting with Henry Ford, actually realized that gouging the employee didn't work, because there'd be no one to buy his cars. so he raised wages. that's very much unlike today's m.o., in which enron, wall street and corporate decisions to move factories offshore to reap increased profits has helped put the western-based economies into the fix that they're in.

but what do i know, i'm simply anti-whatever it is that you want to call me.

jw

If you own a business, are you or are you not going to maximize profits?

Jesus Christ man. Do you sleep with the lights on?