2010 draft a Primetime Event

Tell Goodell to cut with the "its good for the fans" BS. Its good for the NFL to make a ton of cash televising it. Its bad for the fans who really care or who really want to go to the draft.

Tell Goodell to cut with the "its good for the fans" BS. Its good for the NFL to make a ton of cash televising it. Its bad for the fans who really care or who really want to go to the draft.

Really does anyone want to see it dragged out for 3 days? My choice would be 1 day like it used to be, 2 days isn't bad, 3 days is ridiculous.

I'd like to see it be a cross between a race and musical chairs. All 32 owners line up on one goal line, the Top 31 Players on the other goal line, on your mark get set, go, somebody misses out, good times.

Well, at least I managed to get to the draft when it was still cool. So much for my Day 2 Diehard status. Ugh. I hate everything about this. Why is it that every modern change is designed to discourage you from actually attending events, and encourage you to sit your fat butt down on your couch and watch them on TV? I have concerns about the long-term future of any entity that consistently marginalizes its most passionate and engaged supporters, and seeks to appease its most lazy and apathetic supporters.

Even before I went in person, I LOVED the draft. If for no other reason than it gave you an awesome excuse to start drinking at noon on a random Saturday in April. I actually liked the move to 3pm because noon can sometimes be a little early to start drinking. But Thursday night? Terrible. And guess what, NFL, this means NO ONE will care about Friday night's rounds 2-3. As it is, only the diehards care about anything past round 1. The casual fans and major media only give rounds 2 attention because it's on the same day as round 1. That will soon pass.

Here's the bottom line: There are already good options available on Thursday or Friday night, whether I want to stay home and watch TV or go out to a bar. But losing that awesome Saturday afternoon just kills me. What am I gonna do now, head to a bar at noon to check out the second half of round 5? That sounds like fun. At least day two has included round 3 the last couple of years, giving it some pretense of meaning. That's gone as well. And I don't want to hear any of this nonsense about great players coming from late rounds. That's all well and good, but the excitement from late-round gems comes not on draft day, but when they actually produce on the field. You can get excited about early and even mid-round picks on draft day, but how many Patriots fans were truly excited when they drafted Tom Brady? (Besides the ones who went to Michigan, anyway.) I've seen every pick of Day 2 in person the last two years, and after round 4, it's a complete snooze fest. Even round 4 isn't great or anything. The late rounds are mildly interesting and all that, but there's no energy or excitement like you get in the first couple rounds. Because even though you know that some of these guys will be diamonds in the rough, no one - not even the scouts or GMs - is able to predict with any kind of accuracy which ones will pan out. So you can't really celebrate a great pick, because it still has only a 10% chance of working. And since most late picks don't pan out, you can't really knock a team for anything. Does it really matter that we picked cornerbacks in rounds 6-7 who'll get cut, instead of picking a tackle and a linebacker who would both get cut? Meh.

Anyway, I seem to have gotten a little off-topic there, but my point is, I'm against this move.

I understand the money grab by the league but do you really need 2 days of prime time? To me they should have Round 1 on Thursday for the money factor than go with round 2 and 3 on Saturday mid afternoon for the traditional feel. Than Wrap it up on Sunday with rounds 4-7. Two days prime time seems just a little much for me perhaps they want to see the saturation point of the draft is. If they over expose it than just have them roll it back. Basically they are seeing how it goes.

I understand the money grab by the league but do you really need 2 days of prime time? To me they should have Round 1 on Thursday for the money factor than go with round 2 and 3 on Saturday mid afternoon for the traditional feel. Than Wrap it up on Sunday with rounds 4-7. Two days prime time seems just a little much for me perhaps they want to see the saturation point of the draft is. If they over expose it than just have them roll it back. Basically they are seeing how it goes.

You may be right. Now all we have to do is NOT watch..........................like that will happen. :rolleyes::wallbash::thumbsup::wallbash:

You guys are stuck in your traditional ways....

I love this. Brilliant move, imo. Thats makes the draft even more marketable. Also it helps out teams because teams are able to reset their draft boards and draft smarter. I guarantee you everyone involved in the NFL loves this. Don't you guys ever get tired sitting around watching the draft all day? Sure its exciting, but at the same time its lengthy. The 1st round will be super exciting especially since its in primetime. At the end of the night the teams will regroup and target their now "2nd day prospects". The 2nd and 3rd round will be just as exciting as the 1st round since teams will have an improved draft board. 4th-7th round will be just like it is on Sunday except with more viewers...

I really don't understand you guys' beef with this new format. I think its perfect. I've always felt that the 1st round should have its own day and be in primetime. You guys will really enjoy this new way, just watch...

Horrible! Another move by the NFL that proves that they don't give a sh-- about the fans. It's all about the money. What happens with all those many fans that used to get together on a Saturday afternoon to watch the draft and have a draft party? Now they have to have a draft sleepover? also, like Phil said...the Draft Party at the Ralph was a blast this year. With it being a primetime start, they won't be able to do those too often now. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: