Turk on Shawn Nelson

Turk talks about Shawn Nelson

Granted Buffalo hasn't had a pass catching TE since the days of Pete Metzelaars or perhaps Riemersma, but it would be nice to see Nelson get an opportunity. If the team is intent on running a little no-huddle, it stands to reason they'd feature a TE who could run the seam.

Nelson isn't going to wow anyone with his blocking ability (although he pancaked Maualuga at the Senior Bowl) but if they're satisfied with relegating him to a quasi-redshirt season it makes little sense.

The TE needs to be featured, and I agree with Sal here: that neither Fine nor Schouman are more than blockers who may catch a pass now and then. Either way, they're not going to scare any defenses.

Turk talks about Shawn Nelson

Granted Buffalo hasn't had a pass catching TE since the days of Pete Metzelaars or perhaps Riemersma, but it would be nice to see Nelson get an opportunity. If the team is intent on running a little no-huddle, it stands to reason they'd feature a TE who could run the seam.

Nelson isn't going to wow anyone with his blocking ability (although he pancaked Maualuga at the Senior Bowl) but if they're satisfied with relegating him to a quasi-redshirt season it makes little sense.

The TE needs to be featured, and I agree with Sal here: that neither Fine nor Schouman are more than blockers who may catch a pass now and then. Either way, they're not going to scare any defenses.

My guess is that unfortunately he sees little time on the field this season

I, like Sal, agree that I find the Bills over protection of skill player rookies frustrating. We watched as an injured McGee cost us a division loss against Miami last year cause they wouldn't trust the rookie McKelvin (who then basically shined when finally given an opportunity a couple weeks later).

I don't find this surprising though. Turk knows that our O-line is going to need help from the TE's in blocking this year with 5 players playing 5 different positions and likely 2 rookies among them.

I, like Sal, agree that I find the Bills over protection of skill player rookies frustrating. We watched as an injured McGee cost us a division loss against Miami last year cause they wouldn't trust the rookie McKelvin (who then basically shined when finally given an opportunity a couple weeks later).

I don't find this surprising though. Turk knows that our O-line is going to need help from the TE's in blocking this year with 5 players playing 5 different positions and likely 2 rookies among them.

you may call it over-protection of rookies

it is more likely another mistake in the draft room that will be covered up by not playing the guy to expose how bad he is.

you may call it over-protection of rookies

it is more likely another mistake in the draft room that will be covered up by not playing the guy to expose how bad he is.

that seems to be directly refuted by the example I cited with McKelvin. Unless you don't think McKelvin is any good.

If it were new news, it wouldn't be on this chat room.

Really? You obviously are new here.

This is another example where a writer (and a poster) read too much into, and make too much of, a single comment. Here's what Turk said:

“He’s talented, but he’s a rookie, he’s raw and we have to limit what we do with him.”

My response would be, "Of course you do." But "limiting what they do" doesn't necessarily mean "Hardly use him in the passing game", "Keeping him on the bench", etc. Turk would be a moron if he doesn't limit a rookie, a little, in how he uses him. I would hope that means, putting him in a position to use his ability, and helping hide his rookie issues in situations that could hurt the team.

If Turk actually doesn't use Nelson in situations where he could shine, that will be a mistake. But there is nothing here that suggests that is what he is saying. And keep in mind, this is only Turk's second year as OC. There is no pattern, or book, on how he integrates rookies into the game, and what he lets them do. When it comes to DJ...well, that's a different story.

You know what happens when you put raw rookies in high complexity, high pressure situations? They do neat things like miss blitzing LB's that get their QB killed or run the wrong pattern that results in a sack or an interception.

Nice job of combining journalism with wild skepticism and your vivid imagination ya hack. Schonert saying "we have to be careful what we do with him" doesn't necessarily mean Nelson isn't going to start or excel. It means that they're going to put him into controlled situations where he can flourish.

Another case of deadline pressure and writers block, apparently. How about letting them get to TC before going Pirate, Sal....

Deadline pressure? It's his blog. No deadline. Also, speculation allowed.

Of course, you're absolutely entitled to disagree with his opinion ...

I think the expectations by many fans for Nelson this season are too high. That said in a few years he could be a good one if the predraft scouting reports hold true. I just hope he doesn't turn into another Bobby Collins.

Sounds like you and me are both still ticked about how Collins turned out. I had such high expectations for him that I think I even drafted him for my fantasy team his rookie year!

The one thing I learned from Collins and a lot of these other TE's, is that most rookie TE's have a steep learning curve (there are exceptions, like Keller and Carlson last year)--and that the expectations shouldn't be high for Nelson as a rookie.

I agree with Sal on this one.

That said, Turk must know at this point that if his offense fails this season, he is done, his buddy Dick is done, and Trent is all but done. He will never get the chance to capitalize on Nelson's development.

Hold nothing back!