Whitner could lose starting spot?

Agreed. The book on him was that he had great athleticism, but was undersized. He helped pave the way for a lot of DEs being drafted recently.

Jason Taylor is between 6'5 and 6'6 so yes, there were concerns about his bulking up.

The other major concern was that he played college ball at Akron so there were questions about whether he could adjust to the higher level of competition.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article by WGR (I know its rare) breaking down the possible Saftey lineups:

http://www.wgr550.com/Training-Camp-Countd...y-Dance/4785040

I'm not sure I understand the WGR article. I've read that Byrd may beat out Donte. I've also heard Scott might beat out Donte. How can Donte be listed as a starter in all three scenarios? I don't think that's logically possible.... :lol:

I'm not sure I understand the WGR article. I've read that Byrd may beat out Donte. I've also heard Scott might beat out Donte. How can Donte be listed as a starter in all three scenarios? I don't think that's logically possible.... :lol:

What you have heard about Donte possibly losing his starting job is just speculation by boneheads, IMO. If Donte moves to a backup position this year I'll go to Dallas and beat the crap out of Deerball.

no one with any credibility has said Scott would beat out Donte

no one with any credibility has said Scott would beat out Donte

I completely agree. The competition seems to be whether Whitner/Scott (more likely) or Byrd/Whitner (less likely) will be the better combination for the Bills (with Whitner/Simpson a longshot). But that means that only one of Byrd or Scott will start, which obviously isn't possible since they play different positions. :lol: (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.) I can't believe how many people can't wrap their heads around this.

I'd say there's about a .05% chance of Donte getting cut this year, and that's only if he gets arrested, tests positive for drugs and/or has a disasterous injury (*knocking on wood*).

I completely agree. The competition seems to be whether Whitner/Scott (more likely) or Byrd/Whitner (less likely) will be the better combination for the Bills (with Whitner/Simpson a longshot). But that means that only one of Byrd or Scott will start, which obviously isn't possible since they play different positions. :lol: (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.) I can't believe how many people can't wrap their heads around this.

I'd say there's about a .05% chance of Donte getting cut this year, and that's only if he gets arrested, tests positive for drugs and/or has a disasterous injury (*knocking on wood*).

Donte isnt gettin cut or losin his starting spot regardless of if it is at FS or SS. Whether or not he is a Bill for the long hall is a completly different story.

Donte isnt gettin cut or losin his starting spot regardless of if it is at FS or SS. Whether or not he is a Bill for the long hall is a completly different story.

Exactly. None of us can say for sure that Donte will stay with the Bills. Odds are they let him walk in FA just like they do most of their FA defensive backs.

Exactly. None of us can say for sure that Donte will stay with the Bills. Odds are they let him walk in FA just like they do most of their FA defensive backs.

I totally get the $80M playmaker, Greer, etc. I'm curious, who was the last (good) FA Safety we didn't resign? Not being sarcastic, I just don't remember letting good Safeties go.

Brilliant analysis, as usual, WEO!

No one can ever actually join you at the peak of the intellctual Everest that only you have thus far reached, Dean. But we can dream.

I will now bow to you and accept that a player's defensive twittering will serve as a sufficient proxy to actual defensive play.

No one can ever actually join you at the peak of the intellctual Everest that only you have thus far reached, Dean. But we can dream.

I will now bow to you and accept that a player's defensive twittering will serve as a sufficient proxy to actual defensive play.

My God, he's tweeting in July?!?!? He should be catching INTs and forcing fumbles!

I have a strong feeling that our need was not what we drafted. No matter.

I also note that a first round pick was traded, to move up to get Brown in the second round. Whcih means I am not alone in my thinking this guy is a good prospect.

We got a guy who does not play the position for which we drafted him. Could he be the next Ronnie Lott? Of course. Could Brown be a total bust? Ditto.

Does not remove the fact that we needed Brown more than Byrd, or, we could have stocked an additional #1 for 2010.

Terrible move from a terrible, overmatched staff.

If it works out for the best noone will be happier than me, though.

I believe that Patriots have made quite a nice living by drafting for talent over need. Also after reading several posts by Zazie I have determined that this person has a narrow understanding of football and has zero credibility.

I believe that Patriots have made quite a nice living by drafting for talent over need. Also after reading several posts by Zazie I have determined that this person has a narrow understanding of football and has zero credibility.

agreed

Offenses are throwing AT Donte. If you think he's going to be a good FS you are dreaming. He was moved there because he couldn't defend TEs (look at Gates and SD: 2007 game vs 2008 when Scott defends him). He was replaced at SS because he was getting smoked by TEs.

He has BUST written all over him, and he's going to be more exposed at FS than at SS. At least at SS he made tackles in the running game, rather than getting smoked in the secondary. The guy has never played the ball.

Brown over Byrd IS talent over need, according to all pre-draft mocks.