Whitner could lose starting spot?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?

Lori posted a Whitner tweet as well. I posted the ninja looking smiley, :) , to say; "I noticed, much like a sneaky, sly ninja, that you spotted a Donte Whitner tweet. I, crouching Bills Fan, hidden poster, also noticed a Whitner tweet and here it is."

Ahh! Thanks. Is he a reliable source?

Depends on who HIS source is. His latest tweet: "Whitner getting benched would be surprising, but I'm just passing along news from people who know better."

Depends on who HIS source is. His latest tweet: "Whitner getting benched would be surprising, but I'm just passing along news from people who know better."

Thanks! :) Does he usually have reliable sources or is he one of those guys who's just above a blogger?

To be honest, I always figured Rotoworld was just an aggregator, posting summaries and links just like the TBD front page ... but I also know that Rosenthal was credentialed for the last Super Bowl. So I may have to rethink that opinion.

Thanks! :) Does he usually have reliable sources or is he one of those guys who's just above a blogger?

Rotoworld and PFT simply repackage other people's articles, and insert some irrelevant comments that they believe to be humorous.

The sites break big news, but any commentary should be disregarded. Their talents lie in reporting the news, not talking about it.

To be honest, I always figured Rotoworld was just an aggregator, posting summaries and links just like the TBD front page ... but I also know that Rosenthal was credentialed for the last Super Bowl. So I may have to rethink that opinion.

It doesn't take much to be credentialed for NFL events. My father ran an NFL draft website in the mid 90's and he used to get press passes for every single draft. He never got more than 1,000 hits a day, but he still got to eat prime-rib and lobster for free.

Jason Taylor's mom did call my Dad and ask him to rank him higher, though.

I don't think Whitner is necessarily going to lose his starting spot. Still, if he was that good, we wouldn't be having this, or the other conversation. Does that sound right?

No, I don't agree with that. Some people will make bad assumptions, simply because they are uninformed, or stupid. (I don't mean you, Bill.)

Baring an injury, Whitner will start at ONE of the safety spots, you can pretty much take that to the bank. Everyone suspects it will be FS, as they expect Scott to be a better choice at SS than Byrd at FS, this season. But, whoever is better of those two, will play, and Whitner will play the other Safety spot. I will be beyond shocked if it is otherwise.

This speaks to Whitner's versatility far more than it does to any weakness. If Whitner was ONLY a SS (or a FS), and had been only able to play that one position the past three years, there would be little discussion about his ability. But he has helped the team, and hurt his reputation (among those who really don't pay attention to the details) by stepping in wherever he was needed. Fortunately, I'm fairly certain the coaches know how valuable, and talented, he really is.

No, I don't agree with that. Some people will make bad assumptions, simply because they are uninformed, or stupid. (I don't mean you, Bill.)

Baring an injury, Whitner will start at ONE of the safety spots, you can pretty much take that to the bank. Everyone suspects it will be FS, as they expect Scott to be a better choice at SS than Byrd at FS, this season. But, whoever is better of those two, will play, and Whitner will play the other Safety spot. I will be beyond shocked if it is otherwise.

This speaks to Whitner's versatility far more than it does to any weakness. If Whitner was ONLY a SS (or a FS), and had been only able to play that one position the past three years, there would be little discussion about his ability. But he has helped the team, and hurt his reputation (among those who really don't pay attention to the details) by stepping in wherever he was needed. Fortunately, I'm fairly certain the coaches know how valuable, and talented, he really is.

Fair enough, let's see what happens.

With these coaches everything is a crap shoot. We may even have Mr. Worth Millions back starting at FS - as far as I can tell he has played a lot more FS in his life than Byrd.

Fair enough, let's see what happens.

With these coaches everything is a crap shoot. We may even have Mr. Worth Millions back starting at FS - as far as I can tell he has played a lot more FS in his life than Byrd.

Simpson had a good rookie year (but still had some issues). The injury that made him miss most of 2007 seemed to have really hurt his play in 2008. He did look somewhat better toward the end of the season, though.

Whitner had a shoulder injury toward the end of 2008 (November), and was still hampered by it when he returned. So, Scott was a better option there, while Donte was injured (but still playing). This has led some to believe Donte isn't big/tough/strong enough in the box. Truth is, he has always excelled there. In the past three years, Donte has probably played FS and nickel CB almost as often as he has SS, due to injuries in the Bills defensive backfield.

It isn't hard to see how someone without intimate knowledge of the Bills secondary might be confused by these movements.

I expect Simpson to either be back to his early form...or off the team. I hope the coaches can make the correct diagnosis in camp and/or early in preseason. Likewise, I expect a decision on Youboty. I think everyone likes his play...when he is on the field. But he hasn't been able to say on the field very much, since he joined the team. If those guys are able to play, and play well, there will be an unbelievable competition in the Bills defensive backfield, this year.

Simpson had a good rookie year (but still had some issues). The injury that made him miss most of 2007 seemed to have really hurt his play in 2008. He did look somewhat better toward the end of the season, though.

Whitner had a shoulder injury toward the end of 2008 (November), and was still hampered by it when he returned. So, Scott was a better option there, while Donte was injured (but still playing). This has led some to believe Donte isn't big/tough/strong enough in the box. Truth is, he has always excelled there. In the past three years, Donte has probably played FS and nickel CB almost as often as he has SS, due to injuries in the Bills defensive backfield.

It isn't hard to see how someone without intimate knowledge of the Bills secondary might be confused by these movements.

I expect Simpson to either be back to his early form...or off the team. I hope the coaches can make the correct diagnosis in camp and/or early in preseason. Likewise, I expect a decision on Youboty. I think everyone likes his play...when he is on the field. But he hasn't been able to say on the field very much, since he joined the team. If those guys are able to play, and play well, there will be an unbelievable competition in the Bills defensive backfield, this year.

I always liked Ko and I thought that Ko and Donte were going to be a safety tandem for the bills for years.

I hope he comes back too, and really does earn, millions.

Youboty can play but these injuries (and they are strange ones, too - plantar fascilitis in BOTH feet???) really hurt the team in that they keep a roster spot for him ferever while he does not play.

My read is that Ko will be gone, and Youboty makes the team again if he is healthy. And Wilson against the odds, makes the team yet again as a safety.

Ko should catch on with another team though, with a litle luck. He reminds me of Baker from a few years back - that guy started a few games for the Bills then was cut and I think is still kicking around the league somewhere.

Rotoworld and PFT simply repackage other people's articles, and insert some irrelevant comments that they believe to be humorous.

The sites break big news, but any commentary should be disregarded. Their talents lie in reporting the news, not talking about it.

Well, he tried to claim that Chris Brown alluded to Whitner getting benched when he actually did no such thing....so his talent in reporting the news is on par with the National Enquirer

I said months ago that I thought Donte was going to struggle to make the team this year. Scott is a much better tackler than Donte is. Lets face it Getting litteraly run over by Sammy Morris is the lasting memory of Whitner from this past season. It is his most memorable play from last year. 4.9 million cap figure for a back up safety is a lot. I think Bird takes the FS spot, Scott takes the strong, Ko makes the team and Whitner is cut. This scenario would not surprise me at all. Some people will call me stupid oh well so be it. He is an average professional football player. If he makes the team in Buffalo this year it will almost certanly be his last.

I said months ago that I thought Donte was going to struggle to make the team this year. Scott is a much better tackler than Donte is. Lets face it Getting litteraly run over by Sammy Morris is the lasting memory of Whitner from this past season. It is his most memorable play from last year. 4.9 million cap figure for a back up safety is a lot. I think Bird takes the FS spot, Scott takes the strong, Ko makes the team and Whitner is cut. This scenario would not surprise me at all. Some people will call me stupid oh well so be it. He is an average professional football player. If he makes the team in Buffalo this year it will almost certanly be his last.

Harsh words

Hadn't given that thought a lot of credence.

You think his contract makes him untradeable? I would think there would be something out there for Donte we wouldn't have to straight cut him.

Anyway, he makes the team for sure the FO would have to eat too much crow to cut him this year.

I don't think Whitner is necessarily going to lose his starting spot. Still, if he was that good, we wouldn't be having this, or the other conversation. Does that sound right?

Whitner is an 8th round publicity machine who doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of plays, and acts out off the field. It will be interesting to see how he reacts if he starts to not get his way.

What a disaster of a #8 draft selection! :)

He's certainly not much of a playmaker but all the Whitner homers say that's because everyone else sucks on 'D'. If the Bills had elite players at every other position then Whitner would be effing awesome!!!

If he fails to start this year then you can chalk that up to another awful pick by Marv. The guys makes buko bucks and his complete lack of plays will result in the Bills getting maybe a 4th rounder for him. Awful.

Can't even imagine his cap penalty in year 4 of a 6 year deal.

Harsh words

Hadn't given that thought a lot of credence.

You think his contract makes him untradeable? I would think there would be something out there for Donte we wouldn't have to straight cut him.

Anyway, he makes the team for sure the FO would have to eat too much crow to cut him this year.

I think his play is what makes untradeable.......

It doesn't take much to be credentialed for NFL events. My father ran an NFL draft website in the mid 90's and he used to get press passes for every single draft. He never got more than 1,000 hits a day, but he still got to eat prime-rib and lobster for free.

Jason Taylor's mom did call my Dad and ask him to rank him higher, though.

A credential to the NFL Draft and a credential to the Super Bowl are two distinctly different things. Also, I'd like to know which draft he was covering that served prime rib and lobster. It's typical media fare there. Make your own sandwiches, enjoy your cookie.

He's certainly not much of a playmaker but all the Whitner homers say that's because everyone else sucks on 'D'. If the Bills had elite players at every other position then Whitner would be effing awesome!!!

If he fails to start this year then you can chalk that up to another awful pick by Marv. The guys makes buko bucks and his complete lack of plays will result in the Bills getting maybe a 4th rounder for him. Awful.

Can't even imagine his cap penalty in year 4 of a 6 year deal.

The lack of pass rush and the stupid Jauron system certainly don't help him, but his lack of production is still evident.

As far as the bolded, this was an awful pick the second it was made, and I am not talking in hindsight. A few minutes after the selection, I posted a question as to whether or not he would be allowed on all of the rides at Disney.