Whitner could lose starting spot?

The Bills have had CHOICE first round draft picks since the 2001 draft. Here's the harvest:

* Nate Clements

* Mike Williams

* Willis McGahee

* J.P. Losman

* Lee Evans

* John McCargo

* Donte Whitner

* Marshawn Lynch

* Leodis McKelvin

That should have been the core of our playoff aspirations.

Pass the Mad Dog...

The FO that made the bust picks of Fat Mike, Willis McGahee (Not quite a bust but a slightly above average RB wasn't worth the pick) and JP Losman (bust) are gone. So the picks you really need to judge the current FO by are McCargo (Bust), Whitner (Better players were available but not a bust), Lynch (Hit really good running back), and McKelvin (Showing potential and is looking like a hit).

So lets assume McKelvin is a hit. That means the Bills have drafted 2 hits and a solid guy in Whitner. That means they have gotten good production out of 3 out of 4 first round picks. So while the Bills could have gotten better production out of their picks this FO haven't been terrible in the draft I would give them a C+. Also they have gotten Poz, Kyle Williams, and Brad Butler in later rounds all have been contributers to the Bills.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT THIS AGAIN PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE IT STOP

I hear you. It's like my own personal Ground Hog Day. My guess is that we'll get to the "Whitner Sucks Dong-o" within the next five posts.

Buffalo Blood, for what it's worth (not much, I guess), I just posted this identical piece about 10 days ago. The Whitner hate-fest ran for 4 days. Run while your legs will still carry you.

The FO that made the bust picks of Fat Mike, Willis McGahee (Not quite a bust but a slightly above average RB wasn't worth the pick) and JP Losman (bust) are gone. So the picks you really need to judge the current FO by are McCargo (Bust), Whitner (Better players were available but not a bust), Lynch (Hit really good running back), and McKelvin (Showing potential and is looking like a hit).

So lets assume McKelvin is a hit. That means the Bills have drafted 2 hits and a solid guy in Whitner. That means they have gotten good production out of 3 out of 4 first round picks. So while the Bills could have gotten better production out of their picks this FO haven't been terrible in the draft I would give them a C+. Also they have gotten Poz, Kyle Williams, and Brad Butler in later rounds all have been contributers to the Bills.

They didn't use any picks on the OL before round 5 until this season, and even at that they lost their LT (not saying it was all their fault). Kyle Williams in round 5 was the only DT that the Bills have drafted other than McCargo since 2006 in any round.

And, since 2006 they have drafted no less than 11 defensive backs. This includes a #8, #11, and the 9th selection of round 2.

If you wanted to know what is wrong with this team, there it is. That and the people responsible for allowing this idiotic mess to happen.

Someone's annoyed ...

You know Lori, I for one am not saying he should lose his job, but I have a feeling that he needs a fire lit under his behind. He has this image, or at least self image of greatness because of his draft slot but he certainly hasn't played up to it from where I sit.

Still, he is young, and might really be in need of a good wake up call.

TD may be gone, but his hand-picked personnel men, Modrak and Guy, still remain. Not to mention Overdorf is still entrusted with negotiating contracts. So the front office makeup hasn't really change much. I would venture to say those first two have more say in personnel because the previous and current GM are not experienced talent evaluators.

The Bills are a small market team that must draft well each season, because they won't be major players in free agency. The difference between Buffalo and other small market teams lies in management. Whereas the Bills name marketing people and retired HC's as their GM, San Diego, Green Bay, Indianapolis, and Pittsburgh are all having success without spending huge sums on free agents. AJ Smith, Ted Thompson, Bill Polian, and Kevin Colbert are some of the best in the league.

In a conference where 6 teams out of 16 make the playoffs, being average isn't good enough and drafting at a C+ level won't get this team beyond Week 17.

You know Lori, I for one am not saying he should lose his job, but I have a feeling that he needs a fire lit under his behind. He has this image, or at least self image of greatness because of his draft slot but he certainly hasn't played up to it from where I sit.

Funny, I never saw him as a slacker, or lacking motivation ...

That said, I think I'll be spending more time than usual watching the safeties at camp this year.

That's just it. He has convinced people through his public persona ("Oh wow, did you see him on 'First Take'? He was so well spoken! He could really help us.") that he's better than he really is. He's OK. That's it. OK. Dude is a disappearing act.

Funny, I never saw him as a slacker, or lacking motivation ...

That said, I think I'll be spending more time than usual watching the safeties at camp this year.

I didn't mean to sound like that either.

I do however resent the built in assumption of his "greatness" that many (and perhaps DW himself) seem to purport.

this is trash...Scott was playing first team SS in OTA's...Whitner was playing first team FS OTA's...doesn't mean a thing...Come training camp Whitner will be SS...Byrd will eventually be moved to starting FS...I bet Betos to anyone who lives in the greater Salt Lake area, that this comes true!

The Bills have had CHOICE first round draft picks since the 2001 draft. Here's the harvest:

* Nate Clements

* Mike Williams

* Willis McGahee

* J.P. Losman

* Lee Evans

* John McCargo

* Donte Whitner

* Marshawn Lynch

* Leodis McKelvin

That should have been the core of our playoff aspirations.

Pass the Mad Dog...

Posistion wise they are smart picks for our needs.

CB

LT

RB

QB

WR***

DT***

SS***

RB***

CB***

Sad that the ast two picks needed to cover for former first rounders who left the bills...

this is trash...Scott was playing first team SS in OTA's...Whitner was playing first team FS OTA's...doesn't mean a thing...Come training camp Whitner will be SS...Byrd will eventually be moved to starting FS...I bet Betos to anyone who lives in the greater Salt Lake area, that this comes true!

Byrd wasn't allowed to participate in the OTA's or minicamp because of Oregon's class schedule.

The buck stops at Ralph Wilson's desk. HE CREATES the FOs, and for that matter, has previously DESTROYED other FOs.

As for the Bills 2nd round draft choices:

* Travis Henry

* Aaron Schobel

* Ryan Denney

* Josh Reed

* Chris Kelsay

* Roscoe Parrish

* Paul Posluszny

* James Hardly

-after

* Nate Clements

* Mike Williams

* Willis McGahee

* J.P. Losman

* Lee Evans

* John McCargo

* Donte Whitner

* Marshawn Lynch

* Leodis McKelvin

Starting to see while the Bills still do not a the core for a playoff team?

Between the busts, the disappearos, and the so whats, we have the core of a 7-9 team. One step forward, 1.5 steps back.

I guess we are gonna have to hash this idiocy out once again. If anyone here truly believes that Scott will be starting over Whitner this season (unrelated to injury), please PM me and let me know what you'd like to bet

Scott got plenty of playing time last season, appearing in all 16 games with 7 starts.

Bryan Scott

It's far too early to know who'll impress in training camp. But after watching the games last season, the Bills like Scott's size closer to the LOS. He's more adept at taking on blockers in the box and has had to cover some TE's.

The SS position seems to be going the route of the FB. Teams need two safeties that can cover with the pass-happy offenses springing up all over the league. I would not be surprised to see both Whitner and Byrd on the field more frequently than some would imagine. A lot of the safety pairings has to do with opponents. Against the Jets, I could see Scott getting plenty of PT. Conversely, teams like NO, NE, and IND might mean more of Whitner/Byrd.

I guess we are gonna have to hash this idiocy out once again. If anyone here truly believes that Scott will be starting over Whitner this season (unrelated to injury), please PM me and let me know what you'd like to bet

I doubt many people believe that.

That's just it. He has convinced people through his public persona ("Oh wow, did you see him on 'First Take'? He was so well spoken! He could really help us.") that he's better than he really is. He's OK. That's it. OK. Dude is a disappearing act.

Yes, because people paid to scout players often think "Hmmm... i saw him on TV, so he must be good."

I doubt many people believe that.

Responding in order to the last two posts:

1) Well, I believe that. Count me in your minority.

2) Per the post:

"The SS position seems to be going the route of the FB. Teams need two safeties that can cover with the pass-happy offenses springing up all over the league. I would not be surprised to see both Whitner and Byrd on the field more frequently than some would imagine. A lot of the safety pairings has to do with opponents. Against the Jets, I could see Scott getting plenty of PT. Conversely, teams like NO, NE, and IND might mean more of Whitner/Byrd."

Back to the "x" and "o" thing. Does that mean the Bills would be fielding (e.g.) 3 safeties and 2 CBs? Whitner, Byrd, and Scott in the box for the short pass? Is that what you're implying?

"Crippled Inside" - John Lennon

Yes, because people paid to scout players often think "Hmmm... i saw him on TV, so he must be good."

No, they only justify his No. 8 selection by letting everybody know he "makes nice tackles." And I'm not talking about scouts, I'm talking about Kool-Aid-drinking fans.