Whitner could lose starting spot?

Responding in order to the last two posts:

1) Well, I believe that. Count me in your minority.

2) Per the post:

"The SS position seems to be going the route of the FB. Teams need two safeties that can cover with the pass-happy offenses springing up all over the league. I would not be surprised to see both Whitner and Byrd on the field more frequently than some would imagine. A lot of the safety pairings has to do with opponents. Against the Jets, I could see Scott getting plenty of PT. Conversely, teams like NO, NE, and IND might mean more of Whitner/Byrd."

Back to the "x" and "o" thing. Does that mean the Bills would be fielding (e.g.) 3 safeties and 2 CBs? Whitner, Byrd, and Scott in the box for the short pass? Is that what you're implying?

"Crippled Inside" - John Lennon

Actually, the second part was BillsVet's post. Think he meant more of a situational substitution, starting Scott against "power" teams and going with Whitner/Byrd against the three- and four-wide sets.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the second part was BillsVet's post. Think he meant more of a situational substitution, starting Scott against "power" teams and going with Whitner/Byrd against the three- and four-wide sets.

That's precisely my point. It's a matter of matching up against some of the opponents which may, and I'm speculating here, determine who is on the field.

I think we'll be seeing Scott, Whitner, and Byrd.

That's precisely my point. It's a matter of matching up against some of the opponents which may, and I'm speculating here, determine who is on the field.

I think we'll be seeing Scott, Whitner, and Byrd.

Thanks, Lori and BillsVet. I'm not trying to be a "Richard" with these questions. I find it really helps when someone lays out the diagrams. Because of this, I find myself focusing more on positional players like a SS or WLB than simply watching the opposing ball carrier shredding through our line. I can then scream "You missed the gap, you inbred moron", and THEN throw something at the TV, rather than just being pissed off.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw" - Jimmy Buffett

I don't think Whitner is necessarily going to lose his starting spot. Still, if he was that good, we wouldn't be having this, or the other conversation. Does that sound right?

Whitner is an 8th round publicity machine who doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of plays, and acts out off the field. It will be interesting to see how he reacts if he starts to not get his way.

What a disaster of a #8 draft selection! :)

To me his only memorable moment really over the several years now as a starter, was when he took a penalty by delivering the late hit well into the end zone. I liked the play, actually, but it is the only time I remember seeing Donte really ever do anything noticable.

But, in fairness to Donte, he has had awful coaches and a terrible scheme, his entire career too.

They didn't use any picks on the OL before round 5 until this season, and even at that they lost their LT (not saying it was all their fault). Kyle Williams in round 5 was the only DT that the Bills have drafted other than McCargo since 2006 in any round.

And, since 2006 they have drafted no less than 11 defensive backs. This includes a #8, #11, and the 9th selection of round 2.

If you wanted to know what is wrong with this team, there it is. That and the people responsible for allowing this idiotic mess to happen.

Everette Brown was available. We took Byrd. 'Nuff said.

Fire Brandon, DJ, and John Guy.

Start over.

Either way we are 2-3 years out from contention, at least with a new staff in there, maybe we can actually do it in 2-3 years.

Now, we are in a holding pattern until DJ finally is axed or has the class to resign. Which he really should have done after the Jets debacle last year, if not at the end of the campaign.

Sorry for the bad news guys.

To me his only memorable moment really over the several years now as a starter, was when he took a penalty by delivering the late hit well into the end zone. I liked the play, actually, but it is the only time I remember seeing Donte really ever do anything noticable.

But, in fairness to Donte, he has had awful coaches and a terrible scheme, his entire career too.

Ask Ocho Zero how it felt to be carried out on a stretcher......

I dont remember that you have a link to the footage. But I beleive you.

Ok, 2 memorable moments over 3 years of starting, one a penalty.

My bad

Everette Brown was available. We took Byrd. 'Nuff said.

Fire Brandon, DJ, and John Guy.

Start over.

Either way we are 2-3 years out from contention, at least with a new staff in there, maybe we can actually do it in 2-3 years.

Now, we are in a holding pattern until DJ finally is axed or has the class to resign. Which he really should have done after the Jets debacle last year, if not at the end of the campaign.

Sorry for the bad news guys.

Geez, you're good. You can already tell booms from busts before they even take the field in their first pre-season game. You should play the lottery a lot because you're a psychic phenomenon! :wallbash:

:)

I dont remember that you have a link to the footage. But I beleive you.

Ok, 2 memorable moments over 3 years of starting, one a penalty.

My bad

9:00 minute mark of the 3rd Qtr against the Broncos. Cutler completes nice pass to Marshall. Donte lays helluva lick, causes fumble, recovered by Corner.

That's 3.

Your bad.

Again.

GO BILLS!!!

Geez, you're good. You can already tell booms from busts before they even take the field in their first pre-season game. You should play the lottery a lot because you're a psychic phenomenon! :wallbash:

I have a strong feeling that our need was not what we drafted. No matter.

I also note that a first round pick was traded, to move up to get Brown in the second round. Whcih means I am not alone in my thinking this guy is a good prospect.

We got a guy who does not play the position for which we drafted him. Could he be the next Ronnie Lott? Of course. Could Brown be a total bust? Ditto.

Does not remove the fact that we needed Brown more than Byrd, or, we could have stocked an additional #1 for 2010.

Terrible move from a terrible, overmatched staff.

If it works out for the best noone will be happier than me, though.

9:00 minute mark of the 3rd Qtr against the Broncos. Cutler completes nice pass to Marshall. Donte lays helluva lick, causes fumble, recovered by Corner.

That's 3.

Your bad.

Again.

GO BILLS!!!

3 for 3 (1 per season that is)

You are correct.

I also note that a first round pick was traded, to move up to get Brown in the second round. Whcih means I am not alone in my thinking this guy is a good prospect.

We got a guy who does not play the position for which we drafted him. Could he be the next Ronnie Lott? Of course. Could Brown be a total bust? Ditto.

Does not remove the fact that we needed Brown more than Byrd, or, we could have stocked an additional #1 for 2010.

But if Whitner sucks as bad as you imply, then Byrd is exactly what we needed, no?

Why, at that point of the draft, after taking Maybin at DE as our #1, did we need Brown more than a guy to replace someone you think sucks?

GO BILLS!!!

But if Whitner sucks as bad as you imply, then Byrd is exactly what we needed, no?

Why, at that point of the draft, after taking Maybin at DE as our #1, did we need Brown more than a guy to replace someone you think sucks?

GO BILLS!!!

What he said. :)

GO BILLS!!!

Maybin is one side. We still have Denney and (ugh!) Kelsay, or an aging Shobel, on the other side.

I like Donte, he is very sevficeable, just not overwhelmingly great or memorable.

Better than Kelsay though, by and Eden mile.

So yes, I would say to draft this guy Brown (who many pundits had us taking in the FIRST round) would have been a great move. The Byrd pick really took me back to the Donahue days of off the cuff, thoughtless drafting (a la McGahee).

I think the next logical move would be for the FO to extend and enhance Kelsays contract again. THis would be true to form.

Linky

The 5-foot-11, 205-pound hard-hitting safety from Ohio State was been a booming success with pro scouts and general managers.

Linky

A one-week experiment could lead to a midseason shuffle of the Buffalo Bills defensive backfield, with hard-hitting strong safety Donte Whitner gaining an even larger role at a new position.

Linky

Great skill set. Runs well, hits hard, and makes sound decisions. Anticipates well and will break up some plays. Can thump running backs in the box. A team leader. Still developing.

Linky

That time away from the team will hurt, but the coaching staff seems to love the hard-hitting safety.

DonteWhitner: @greggrosenthal great job on the article about me getting benched! U must really know the game of football!

Heh. I was just thinking about posting that. This could get amusing.