Steve McNair found shot to death

"Educated" is used loosely here, right? I would say you are making a guess on some bits of released information. In this case, those bits were big, and factual. Doesn't always work that way, though.

I'm sure nobody associated with the case will be reading these threads. Making suppositions based on reported information isn't that bad IMO. If somebody goes on TV and starts jawing about this stuff that's a different thing IMO.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure nobody associated with the case will be reading these threads. Making suppositions based on reported information isn't that bad IMO. If somebody goes on TV and starts jawing about this stuff that's a different thing IMO.

You are correct, and I retracted my admonishment after Tom rightly called me out on it. Tasteless? Perhaps. But not much more than that. I've engaged in far worse, I am sure.

I was clearly not only implying, but actually stating in other posts, that going by the tidbits released by the police is probably not a great way to solve a crime AND those unconnected to the case doing so the day after the death seemed a bit unseemly. As it turns out, the Police didn't hold back info and the case was as straightforward as it appeared. I never suggested (seriously) that it wasn't. I suggested it MAY not have been, and there would be know way for the posters here to know.

It was a PROCESS argument. (But I know that is way over your head, WEO.) Did many he posters turn out to be right in their guesses? Sure. I never suggested they couldn't be correct. The process was still flawed, though. Any process that relies exclusively on the public statements of the authorities (particularly in situations where the authorities statements are known to be potentially incomplete) is a flawed process.

This is a disingenuous response. By mocking (this is exactly what your post did) those who (correctly) hypothesized a murder suicide and by discounting their straighforward conclusion based on the evidence released, your intent was clear. You've been called on it and now you are qualifying your statement. Your unsolicited assumption as the arbiter of what is tasteful and what is not is immaterial to this discussion, and a bit much to take.

Normal people are free to speculate about scandalous stories. It is hardly "distasteful"---especially at a site like this, and especially when they are making intelligent "guesses" based on available information.

Time to lose the pipe, ascot and smoking jacket, Commadore.

This is a disingenuous response. By mocking (this is exactly what your post did) those who (correctly) hypothesized a murder suicide and by discounting their straighforward conclusion based on the evidence released, your intent was clear. You've been called on it and now you are qualifying your statement. Your unsolicited assumption as the arbiter of what is tasteful and what is not is immaterial to this discussion, and a bit much to take.

Normal people are free to speculate about scandalous stories. It is hardly "distasteful"---especially at a site like this, and especially when they are making intelligent "guesses" based on available information.

Time to lose the pipe, ascot and smoking jacket, Commadore.

You're making the mistake of taking Mr. D seriously. I'd estimate his pomposity factor fluctuates between .90 and .98.

You're making the mistake of taking Mr. D seriously. I'd estimate his pomposity factor fluctuates between .90 and .98.

Versus Mr. WEO, whose pomposity factor is 1.1 (i.e. 110%). Which makes him calling-out Deano even more ridiculous.

Not to interrupt this wonderful exchange,but how do you know someone was asleep when they were shot to death?

They said it was because he did not have any signs of defensive moves, which is a little

bit of a stretch, IMO. I mean what kind of defense would you be able to put up after the first

shot. Stupid!

I'm not saying I'm into any grassy knoll theories here, but I was wondering the same thing.

They said it was because he did not have any signs of defensive moves, which is a little

bit of a stretch, IMO. I mean what kind of defense would you be able to put up after the first

shot. Stupid!

I would think that would apply in a knife attack[cuts on the hands,arms] but shot in the head? It just seems like this was case closed awful fast.

Guest dog14787
I would think that would apply in a knife attack[cuts on the hands,arms] but shot in the head? It just seems like this was case closed awful fast.

Shooting Steve McNair while he was sleeping also seems odd, wouldn't you want the person you were shooting to know why you were shooting him if it was personal? (unless fear of him reacting to fast made you think otherwise) Steve McNair was a very fast and gifted athlete.

Not to interrupt this wonderful exchange,but how do you know someone was asleep when they were shot to death?

If he's in a natural sleep position and it doesn't appear that he fell or that he put his hands up to cover himself. JMO

It interesting that she tried to make her head land on his lap which would seem to mean he wasn't lying down.