Who is your favorite BILLS backup QB of all time?

major

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine will always be Frank Reich. I always felt he could come in and win the game if Kelly went down. My second favorite is Doug Flutie.

Who is yours??????

Assuming we are talking about real backups and not QBs who may have been #2 for short period of time, and then became the legit starter (like Edwards)...

Frank Reich

Daryle Lamonica

James Harris

Marlin Briscoe

Ed Rutkowski

Alex Van Pelt

Not saying they were the best, just my favorites.

Mine will always be Frank Reich. I always felt he could come in and win the game if Kelly went down. My second favorite is Doug Flutie.

Who is yours??????

1) Frank Reich

2) Who cares?

+1 :censored: Frank Reich led the greatest comeback in NFL playoff history. There is no question.

And had one of the greatest comebacks in college history to while at Maryland vs Miami. He came off the bench while at Maryland to help his team rally from 31 points behind in 1984. He backed up Boomer in college. Kind of funny. You know who was Kellys back up at Miami-Mark Richt (head coach for UGA).

Reich was freaking awesome as a backup----who can forget the Oilers comeback game and the Rams game early in the season on Monday night where he engineered the come from behind win late in the 4th...

Since Lamonica played a part in two Bills Championship seasons, I care quite a bit.

Nothing against Lamonia, Harris, Rutkowksi and Van Pelt. But the question was "who was my favoirte back up", and no other back up quarterback were favorites of mine. I guess I should have wrote:

2) None.

I was too young to appreciate what Lamonica did for the Bills, but I remember him being the "mad bomber" later for Oakland. And after him, during my big Bills - fan years, Fergy was the starter for 12 years and then Jimbo for 11 years. With those two starters being as tough and durable as they were, back ups never really meant much to me. But Frank Reich obviously played some huge games during the Bills hey days, similar to what you said about Lamonica during the Bills old AFL Championship days. I don't even remember watching the second AFL Championship on TV, in 1966, when I was 7, and didn't go to my first Bills game until I was 9 in '68, when Lamonica was already in Oakland and Kemp was pretty much finished.

I do remember Dennis Shaw having a great rookie season in what....1970 or 71?? What ever happened to him? When Lou Saban came back in '72, Shaw must have been his starting QB. Next thing you know Saban drafted Fergy in '73 and Joe was starting from game one that season. Does anyone know if Shaw went on to play for any other teams during the 70's??

Nothing against Lamonia, Harris, Rutkowksi and Van Pelt. But the question was "who was my favoirte back up", and no other back up quarterback were favorites of mine. I guess I should have wrote:

2) None.

I was too young to appreciate what Lamonica did for the Bills, but I remember him being the "mad bomber" later for Oakland. And after him, during my big Bills - fan years, Fergy was the starter for 12 years and then Jimbo for 11 years. With those two starters being as tough and durable as they were, back ups never really meant much to me. But Frank Reich obviously played some huge games during the Bills hey days, similar to what you said about Lamonica during the Bills old AFL Championship days. I don't even remember watching the second AFL Championship on TV, in 1966, when I was 7, and didn't go to my first Bills game until I was 9 in '68, when Lamonica was already in Oakland and Kemp was pretty much finished.

I do remember Dennis Shaw having a great rookie season in what....1970 or 71?? What ever happened to him? When Lou Saban came back in '72, Shaw must have been his starting QB. Next thing you know Saban drafted Fergy in '73 and Joe was starting from game one that season. Does anyone know if Shaw went on to play for any other teams during the 70's??

Here you go

Who is yours??????

gotta be frank reich. I love watching the wild card playoff come back vs the Oilers