Why did we release Dockery?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on hold on...!

This is not about whether he was good or not.

I'm asking if anyone knows why we released him instead of trading him.

They did try trading him, but they botched the paperwork.

Beyond that, I think they released him thinking they could not get another deal done.

Hold on hold on...!

This is not about whether he was good or not.

I'm asking if anyone knows why we released him instead of trading him.

we actually tried to trade him, and had something worked out with the LIONS but if fell through. So we just straight up released him. Another botch up by FO. I agree we should have traded him, even if for a 5th of 6th rounder

Beyond that, I think they released him thinking they could not get another deal done.

sorry, I did not read your comment till I posted mine, but you are right about the trade part.

The facts are that the Bills were planning to release DD on 2/26 outright because he was due a $1.75M bonus at 12:01 am the next day, and the Lions contacted the Bills front office at 2pm that day, just two hours before they would have had to file paperwork with the league at 4 pm, that would have pushed back his bonus in order to make the deal possible.

There was no deal as of 3:30 pm and therefore no way to get the paperwork filed in time. IMO, DD probably wouldn't have agreed, since he would be a free agent that could sign with any team.

There was no botching of paperwork; there simply wasn't enough time to get it done based on how it went down.

we actually tried to trade him, and had something worked out with the LIONS but if fell through. So we just straight up released him. Another botch up by FO. I agree we should have traded him, even if for a 5th of 6th rounder

I don't know if it was a botch - they had the trade worked out, but there was a bonus due to him if he was still on the team at a certain time and the Bills didn't want to pay it. They had the trade worked out the day before the bonus was due, but then cut him when the trade didn't happe in time to have Detriot pay the bonus. They probably would rather have had the extra cash than the late-round pick.

The facts are that the Bills were planning to release DD on 2/26 outright because he was due a $1.75M bonus at 12:01 am the next day, and the Lions contacted the Bills front office at 2pm that day, just two hours before they would have had to file paperwork with the league at 4 pm, that would have pushed back his bonus in order to make the deal possible.

There was no deal as of 3:30 pm and therefore no way to get the paperwork filed in time. IMO, DD probably wouldn't have agreed, since he would be a free agent that could sign with any team.

There was no botching of paperwork; there simply wasn't enough time to get it done based on how it went down.

They did not want to pay Dockery his roster bonus because he was an average LG and not worth the richest contract in Bills history that the same people gave him. So, they decided he had to be off the roster.

Dockery was flown to Detroit and was doing a physical at the time he was cut by the Bills. I don't think that happens, as he was under contract, unless the Bills knew about it.

Any way one slices it, the Bills botched it. Dockery could have been traded but they left themselves too narrow of a window and no options. So, the Redskins swooped in and snapped him up amid the cluster.

They did not want to pay Dockery his roster bonus because he was an average LG and not worth the richest contract in Bills history that the same people gave him. So, they decided he had to be off the roster.

Dockery was flown to Detroit and was doing a physical at the time he was cut by the Bills. I don't think that happens, as he was under contract, unless the Bills knew about it.

Any way one slices it, the Bills botched it. Dockery could have been traded but they left themselves too narrow of a window and no options. So, the Redskins swooped in and snapped him up amid the cluster.

No disagreement with the perceived value of Dockery by the Bills.

From what I read here, here, and here, DD visited Detroit on Friday, 2/27, the day after the Bills released him, and he ended up deciding to go back to the Skins.

What is not clear is how aggressive the Bills FO were in trying to trade him before 2pm on 2/26.

Because we needed help at OG and quality guys like Kris Dielman nd Eric Steinbach signed elsewhere.

Honestly we should have drafted another guard instead of a guy like McCargo. We have (Until this years draft) never spent big resources (Draft wise) on the offensive line and the one big pick we spent was a bust (Fat Mike). We were really smart to develop Peters and Brad Butler worked out well but besides those two we haven't had much luck with our offensive line acquisitions.

I think that Fat Mike really scared off Ralph and the higher ups from putting many resources into the O-line. Than once we got Peters we tried to use free agency to fill out the rest of the offensive line. Walker worked out but Fowler and Dockery were busts. At least this year we got two top picks on the line which gives me confidence that the line is now being viewed as a priority.

I also am liking the Hangardner pick up. I think that he and the guards along with Butler could formulate a pretty solid line as long as we stick through the growing pains of a freshly assembled unit.

Honestly we should have drafted another guard instead of a guy like McCargo. We have (Until this years draft) never spent big resources (Draft wise) on the offensive line and the one big pick we spent was a bust (Fat Mike). We were really smart to develop Peters and Brad Butler worked out well but besides those two we haven't had much luck with our offensive line acquisitions.

I think that Fat Mike really scared off Ralph and the higher ups from putting many resources into the O-line. Than once we got Peters we tried to use free agency to fill out the rest of the offensive line. Walker worked out but Fowler and Dockery were busts. At least this year we got two top picks on the line which gives me confidence that the line is now being viewed as a priority.

I also am liking the Hangardner pick up. I think that he and the guards along with Butler could formulate a pretty solid line as long as we stick through the growing pains of a freshly assembled unit.

I think that the thinking was that we could improve the OL faster through FA instead of waiting for draft picks to develop.

The problem is the growing pains may take more then this season and with this being DJ make or break it year there's no telling what the new HC wants to do in 2010. Hopefully he'll shift Walker back to RT, and let Levetra and Wood develop. THe C from Carolina remains a question mark as thus far is just another name and fits the pattern of free agents gone wrong in the past ie signing spot starters/primarily backup players to be starters here, see Larry Tripplett, Robert Royal, Melvin Fowler and Matt Bowen as recent failures. Also it doesn't bode well for Trent Edwards, who has shown me to be half way decent but not sure he can taking the pounding of an experienced O-line in front of him and again no telling what a new HC would do.

I think that the thinking was that we could improve the OL faster through FA instead of waiting for draft picks to develop.

Well even if you get 5 all pros on a line they still take time to gel. And the interior O-line and RT develop quickly as rookies (a year or two tops). We had the really hard position set it was just a matter of realizing that we needed to put better talent around him. But yeah I got what they were thinking and if they had hit on a few of those acquisitions I might not be bashing them.