Trade Whitner while we still can

Whitner reminds me of the old fable about the emperor who had no clothes. An entire community of Bills fans says this guy is good, that he could be elite, etc. And everyone conveniently overlooks the fact that his only highlight reel plays consist of him being draped over the back of some 260 lb 4.9 forty running caucasian tight end in the end zone.

Wait since we don't watch the game we couldn't have seen Anthony Fasono looking like Jerry Rice when matched up against Whitner. Lori I suggest you look at some film if you don't understand why I compare Whitner to Coy Wire. Just because one is white and the other is black doesn't mean they can't have similar styles of lackluster underwhelming play. I think that the fact you run this board speaks volumes about the kind of people this board attracts. Most of your comments seem very simple-minded. And I always see you copy and paste Tim Grahams replies and adding your own simple kiss ass reply. Sorry but it needed to be said.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait since we don't watch the game we couldn't have seen Anthony Fasono looking like Jerry Rice when matched up against Whitner. Lori I suggest you look at some film if you don't understand why I compare Whitner to Coy Wire. Just because one is white and the other is black doesn't mean they can't have similar styles of lackluster underwhelming play. I think that the fact you run this board speaks volumes about the kind of people this board atracts. Most of your comments seem very simple-minded. And I always see you copy and paste Tim Grahams replies and adding your own simple kiss ass reply. Sorry but it needed to be said.

Yeah man, 2.5 catches and 26.5 yard per game are totally Jerry Rice like!

Yeah man, 2.5 catches and 26.5 yard per game are totally Jerry Rice like!

I think you missed the "when matched up against Whitner"part, pal. And if everyone defends every starter on this team how come we have finished 7-9 three seasons in a row? Whitner could never be part of the problem. Throw out Whitner's horrible stats, the fact that the team has not had a winning record in 5 years, the fact that Jaurons coaching record is 57-77 with 0 playoff wins, and the fact that we haven't made the playoffs in 10 years, this organazation is on the right track!

I honestly, truely believe a custodial manager at Arby's could run this team better than Ralph.

I think you missed the "when matched up against Whitner"part, pal. And if everyone defends every starter on this team how come we have finished 7-9 three seasons in a row? Whitner could never be part of the problem. Throw out Whitner's horrible stats, the fact that the team has not had a winning record in 5 years, the fact that Jaurons coaching record is 57-77 with 0 playoff wins, and the fact that we haven't made the playoffs in 10 years, this organazation is on the right track!

I honestly, truely believe a custodial manager at Arby's could run this team better than Ralph.

Sounds like you're volunteering. Stop talking about it and do something about it..... :thumbsup:

Wait since we don't watch the game we couldn't have seen Anthony Fasono looking like Jerry Rice when matched up against Whitner. Lori I suggest you look at some film if you don't understand why I compare Whitner to Coy Wire. Just because one is white and the other is black doesn't mean they can't have similar styles of lackluster underwhelming play. I think that the fact you run this board speaks volumes about the kind of people this board attracts. Most of your comments seem very simple-minded. And I always see you copy and paste Tim Grahams replies and adding your own simple kiss ass reply. Sorry but it needed to be said.

wow, and i thought you were stupid before........ :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Bad move. By the way, I love how you're comparing Donte Whitner to Coy Wire and calling SOMEBODY ELSE simple-minded. Let me guess...Whitner hasn't gotten many interceptions, and Wire never got many interceptions so they're the same, right?

So that gives you the right to act like a moronic 8 year old?

Says the adult who champions people calling other people "retarded". Read the thread again, it's the Whitner supporters who are acting like little brats just because some fans aren't down with a loudmouthed dunken tasered mess of a former 8th pick overall DB with only 2 interceptions in 42 games.

Says the adult who champions people calling other people "retarded". Read the thread again, it's the Whitner supporters who are acting like little brats just because some fans aren't down with a loudmouthed dunken tasered mess of a former 8th pick overall DB with only 2 interceptions in 42 games.

Your "argument" is laughable. So he'd be fine if he was picked in the 4th round, but he sucks and should be traded because he was picked at #8? How does his draft position 3 years ago have any impact on whether or not he contributes on the field? Do you realize that the Bills don't get a #8 pick back if they trade him?

In an off-season tsunami of stupid topics, this one proudly stands among the leaders.

:thumbsup:

Your "argument" is laughable. So he'd be fine if he was picked in the 4th round, but he sucks and should be traded because he was picked at #8? How does his draft position 3 years ago have any impact on whether or not he contributes on the field? Do you realize that the Bills don't get a #8 pick back if they trade him?

In an off-season tsunami of stupid topics, this one proudly stands among the leaders.

I think Whitner is a average safety (which is not good if you look at the safety list) with zero "big play" making skills. I don't buy into the excuses about why it's the Bills' scheme and not Whitner himself. The Tampa 2 is supposed to feature the SS skills, not mask them. As a Bills fan, I'm sick and tired of hearing why nothing is Whitner's or Jauron's fault. All fans here seem to care about is that the guy can tackle. Yippee! He can tackle! This Donte Whitner love is truly mystifying to me. Is it too much to ask that he separate the ball from the ball carrier? That he tips a pass into the hands of another Bill defender? That he himself can snare an interception from time to time? How about stuffing a RB on a 3rd and one power dive? I swear, game in game out, the guy is nearly invisible.

I think Whitner is a average safety (which is not good if you look at the safety list) with zero "big play" making skills.

And I think that you are an average fan (which is not good if you look at the fan list) who only notices players when they make the "big play" and who is incapable of understanding the nuances of the game.

Coming from the guy (?) who wanted to call out Jairus Byrd for missing minicamp when he was prohibited by NFL rules from being there, I take your disapproval as a compliment.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

And I think that you are an average fan (which is not good if you look at the fan list) who only notices players when they make the "big play" and who is incapable of understanding the nuances of the game.

I don't think football is a "nuanced" sport. I think football is a game about knocking the snot and the ball from a player.

If I'm not mistaken Donte Whitner is pretty highly regarded by a lot of scouts from what I have read...that works for me since they are independent observers. I do think the consensus is he can be a very good to great player in the right defense. Hard to argue the logic of professional scouts but I know some will anyway...

Draft selection obviously doesn't matter wrt on field play. That is just silly. BUT, it does matter in many other ways.

For instance, being selected at #8 does imo afford a player a certain "status." Money for sure, but their might even be a prestige element. How many 7th round picks host a "meeting" at their house for their defensive units early in their careers?

Also, early picks initially get more publicity. Whitner took advantage of this and is a virtual PR machine. He is good. That's what he is so far.....good. A post above mine calls him very good to great. My point is, publicity does work at times.

This thread started about TRADING Whitner. Again, I know it won't happen. Jauron has put more into the secondary than Quarterback or any other unit, possibly any 2 combined. It is what he, in his moronic state of running a team, values most.

That said, if a good coach was running this team, imo Whitner is worth a 2nd round pick because he salary isn't so bad and he is very young. Without those valueable factors, he would be worth at most a 3rd imo.

Jmo.

Actually I think this is a great time to get this off my chest.....

I was one of those who really looked forward to Losman replacing Bledsoe......I knew that Drew was the veteran guy and that would have an effect in the locker room....but what I did not realize is Losman's complete lack of football presense on the field....I thought that once he settled down and stopped running with the ball all the time he would use that wonderful cannon arm and start carving defenses up....and we would have a pro bowler very soon.....

Then to my dismay I started noticing the mental mistakes....the balls bouncing once or twice before they made it to a wide out if it was not thrown 60 yards.....the lack of mental clock in the pocket....the lack of touch to set up a screen pass.......

The decision to pull Bledsoe and replace with Losman set this team back a number of years....what they should have done was do everything they could at THAT time to give Bledsoe more quality OL......and and a true safety valve tight end like he had with Ben Coates.

I bet this infuriated the locker room when this happened. I was sooooooo wrong.

It really did infuriate more than just a couple vets, JfH. I remember when Bledsoe was let go and during a press conference he knew he could still play and alluded to losing his job to "someone like that guy" (meaning JP). That spoke volumes.

Like you, we were all excited about Losman getting a chance. In retrospect, I think that had more to do with not wanting any more of Bledsoe, his declining athleticism (not that he had much to start with) and the limitations our bad OL put on his game than thinking JP was really the answer. Also, like you, it became obvious rather quickly how limited JP was. But we've all been throught the birth of new QBs and the learning curve so I didn't become worried until he had a full season of starts under his belt and was showing few signs of improvement. Indeed, he was making the same mistakes over and over. While I enjoyed watching him air it out with that rocket of a right arm, I also know that it's impossible to make your living in the NFL unless you have a "short game" (to borrow a golf analogy) to go with it. By short game I don't mean making short throws. I mean the ability to read pre/post snap and making the necessary adjustments.

GO BILLS!!!

The most vivid memories I have of Donte Whitner up to this point in his career are watching mediocre tight ends run right by him, or him draped on their back as they go up and catch the ball over the deep middle. I can honestly say I do not have a bias when it comes to Whitner. I was hoping he would step up his game last season. But lets face it, a #8 pick in the draft 4 years ago with 2 career interceptions, who makes no big plays is at this point a bust. Some might not agree but if I could compare him to one player it would be Coy Wire. Always just a half step late on all of his coverage but a decent tackler. Bryd can not possibly be less dynamic than Whitner.

My thought is that much of the league has not caught on to the fact that he stinks. (ESPN line of thinking, that most front offices use. "I've heard of him") So I say we let him go through training camp, hope a starting safety for another team gets injured, and try to get a 3rd round pick. Before everyone else realizes all he can do is tackle. Trade him this year or else all we will be able to get for him is a Losman jersey and a half eaten bag of Lays potatoe chips.

great idea trade viable players who can play are young and coming into their prime. go learn something about the game.better yet just go away because you are clueless!

Coming from the guy (?) who wanted to call out Jairus Byrd for missing minicamp when he was prohibited by NFL rules from being there, I take your disapproval as a compliment.

Outstanding!

Yes, this guy isn't worth our effort.

I don't think football is a "nuanced" sport.

There it is, in a nutshell. Now I know why I almost always think your football opinions are full of s#it.

Football is incredibly nuanced. You can join the "highlight squat" here, who know nothing of the finer points of the game.

You are one classy individual, Lori. Why can't I handle knuck-knucks with the ease and grace of you?

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think football is a "nuanced" sport. I think football is a game about knocking the snot and the ball from a player.

Are you the guy in the Geico commercial? You know the "let me be myself" one.....

Maybe we can give the safeties a spike studded club and make the WR's run around helmetless.

ooh ga...ooh ga....FIRE!

There it is, in a nutshell. Now I know why I almost always think your football opinions are full of s#it.

Football is incredibly nuanced. You can join the "highlight squat" here, who know nothing of the finer points of the game.

Football is about as "nuanced" as a sledgehammer to the face. It sounds like a word that our overly-analytical scared to death loser head coach would use.

Football is about as "nuanced" as a sledgehammer to the face. It sounds like a word that our overly-analytical scared to death loser head coach would use.

Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, 3 championship rings and a boatload of wins over the past decade beg to differ...

speaking of sledgehammer to the face...wait, didn't SDS say we were supposed to be kinder and gentler?

Or maybe you just don't know the meaning of the word. Nuanced means filled with intricacies (not the merriam webster definition I'm sure, but close enough). Are you trying to tell us the game of football (especially at the professional level) is not filled with intricacies?

Of course, there is such a thing as "paralysis by analysis" and Dicky J is often guilty of it IMO, but to suggest that football is NOT nuanced is beyond ridiculous.

Actually, it's a word he DOES use, quite often. So, good call on that.

I disagree with you, though. What are hard counts, Wildcat formations, and double moves by WRs if not "nuances"? None relies on brute strength to succeed. Sure, some of it's still about lining up and punching the other team in the mouth ... but not all of it.

Or maybe you just don't know the meaning of the word. Nuanced means filled with intricacies (not the merriam webster definition I'm sure, but close enough). Are you trying to tell us the game of football (especially at the professional level) is not filled with intricacies?

Of course, there is such a thing as "paralysis by analysis" and Dicky J is often guilty of it IMO, but to suggest that football is NOT nuanced is beyond ridiculous.

Some teams/coaches have a more sledgehammer approach than others. Even the teams who use the least cerebral approach are extremely nuanced.

But it is clear the Bills use a more cerebral, and less rock-em-sock-em style. If you don't like it, blame the coaches, not the players (not directed at you, Sage). I think most players prefer to let-er-rip.

good post, but i doubt he understands the word "intricacy." Lets keep the words to under 5 letters for our knuckle dragging friend, shall we?

But it sounds like a sissy word, so you should only use it to describe ballet or something like that.

It shouldn't suprise anyone that Lori and the Dean would talk like Dick Jauron, considering their names are Lori and Dean Jauron. Keep up the insightful posting, you guys are the best! And keep buying those season tickets so everyone else has to pay $75 dollars a ticket to watch a 7-9 team. :thumbsup:

Is that supposed to be a joke? If so then congratulations...you are officially the least funny member of TSW.

I got a chuckle out of it, but I was really laughing at him, not with him.

Is that supposed to be a joke? If so then congratulations...you are officially the least funny member of TSW.

Yeah, because I'm obviously one of Jauron's biggest fans here. :thumbsup:

Ask anyone who saw me in Lot 1 after the Browns game about that one ...

Yeah, because I'm obviously one of Jauron's biggest fans here. :thumbsup:

Ask anyone who saw me in Lot 1 after the Browns game about that one ...

It only took you 3 years, and a blown monday night football game to realize he is a loser. You are QUICK

Yeah, because that was the first time I ever said anything negative about him. Or not. I merely used that as an example because it was the closest I've ever come to punching a window out of my car.

But keep trying; this is amusing ...

It only took you 3 years, and a blown monday night football game to realize he is a loser. You are QUICK

man you are sad and pathetic, when you get a clue about anything please let us know, until then just go away. It is quite obvious you lack football knowledge as well as common sense

It shouldn't suprise anyone that Lori and the Dean would talk like Dick Jauron, considering their names are Lori and Dean Jauron. Keep up the insightful posting, you guys are the best! And keep buying those season tickets so everyone else has to pay $75 dollars a ticket to watch a 7-9 team. :thumbsup:

Do you post anything that makes sense? Because one person (or people) decide to buy seasons tickets, it results in other people paying $75 a ticket which in turn results in a 7-9 team? I would ask you to explain, but there is no way in this universe that there could be a reasonable explanation for a baseless comment like that.