Mike Mularkey

I was surprised last season when we ran the Wildcat and had Fred Jackson in the backfield instead of Parrish. I don't really know if Jackson can throw the ball, but I know Parrish can, and he's so dangerous. Maybe that can be how we get him more involved on offense.

I was surprised last season when we ran the Wildcat and had Fred Jackson in the backfield instead of Parrish. I don't really know if Jackson can throw the ball, but I know Parrish can, and he's so dangerous. Maybe that can be how we get him more involved on offense.

Parrish can throw the ball?

Parrish can throw the ball?

I think he may have been a hs school QB.

As for Mularkey, I don't know if I'd call him an idiot at all. He led us to our last winning season and worked wonders with Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, and now Matt Ryan. He is a great offensive coach. In fact, the only 2 guys who struggled with were Joey Harrington and Losman. I wonder why.

They did run some plays like that for Randle-El and Parrish sort of, but it wasn't the same concept as lining Ronnie Brown up back there and letting him have at it. I think McFadden, when he was at Arkansas, ran it better than anyone else I've seen. I mean seriously, Mike Vick was running that setup for years with Atlanta. Seems like Mularky is trying to take credit for this starting 10 years ago. What a bunch of mularky, bull mularky that is.

I dont so much agree with the Roscoe Parrish statement from Mularkey but he is absolutely correct about Ward, and Randell El. I remember the Steelers using "Gadget" plays like this quite a bit a few years ago. Thats exactly how Kordell Stewart got his start. I remember thinking myself back in the day.... what if you lined up in shotgun with no QB's but had Stewart and Randell El lined up as RB's. The possibilities with both of those guys back there were almost endless.

But Id like to say wtf is the big deal with the Wildcat anyway? Its a gimmick play. Its so easy to figure out that you just plant a safety right up on the line with the QB that is playing in the WR spot and murder him for a few plays. The team running the offense will be quick to do away with that type of formation when their starting QB is getting hammered and slow to rise. NFL teams cannot rely on their backup QB's and wouldnt take the chance of their starter getting seriously injured. Not to mention how many times did they actually throw out of the Wildcat last year anyway? It seems like they were rushing plays every time they used it. So its basically an empty backfield and rushing the QB out of a shotgun.

I hate it and dont understand why it fools NFL teams!!! :worthy:

Apparently, he groups all 'gadget plays' under the name Wildcat.

Just to clarify from above, no one was using the Wildcat / Single Wing formation in the NFL until My-yami. Whatever Mularky was running, it wasn't Wildcat. Any claim that he's been using it for 10 years is dubious. If he means his little 'gadget plays' (that more often than not failed in the Bills Offense), he should say 'gadget plays.'

I'm far from saying MM is a meathead (and tho I'm glad he's no longer the Bills' coach, I wasn't and am not a fan of DJ either), but it's a little douche-y to compare end-around-QB/HB-options to Wildcat. The objective of getting an advantage through on-field chaos is the same, but the o-line formation (from left to right: TE, G, C, G, T, T, TE) and execution is totally different.

My cousin's husband, a high school coach downstate who uses the single-wing/Wildcat spread, was interviewed and quoted in an SI piece about it last year.

As for Mularkey, I don't know if I'd call him an idiot at all. He led us to our last winning season and worked wonders with Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, and now Matt Ryan. He is a great offensive coach. In fact, the only 2 guys who struggled with were Joey Harrington and Losman. I wonder why.

From his site...

"Was perhaps the most explosive running and passing quarterback in Florida during the 2000 season, passing for 2,201 yards and rushing for 613 yards, earning a first-team Class 6A All-State selection in 2000...During his junior season of 1999, he passed for 1,400 yards and 10 touchdowns with just five interceptions while completing 78 of 136 passes...Also rushed 60 times for 600 yards and six touchdowns and had 10 tackles during the 1999 season..."

From his site...

"Was perhaps the most explosive running and passing quarterback in Florida during the 2000 season, passing for 2,201 yards and rushing for 613 yards, earning a first-team Class 6A All-State selection in 2000...During his junior season of 1999, he passed for 1,400 yards and 10 touchdowns with just five interceptions while completing 78 of 136 passes...Also rushed 60 times for 600 yards and six touchdowns and had 10 tackles during the 1999 season..."

Unfortunately he hasnt grown and inch, or gained a pound since high school or college. He was successful at those levels because everyone had size, speed working for them. The NFL is the best of the best and even a guy like Ellison is going to be better than most rookie LB's. Its almost like the whole would the best college team be able to beat the worst NFL team debate. IMO there is no way that any college team would even come close to the size and speed of NFL players.

Because, as the experts around here always assert, it's a 'coach's' league.

Can't be helped that Malarkey all of a sudden forgot how to coach when he had Harrington and Losman on his roster.

GO BILLS!!!