"Transformers 2" Getting Dubbed Racist?

H2o

http://www.comcast.net/articles/entertainm...Jar.Jar.Again_/

Granted I haven't seen it yet, but plan on it very soon. Like this weekend soon. This mess never ceases to amaze me though. People are always trying to bring racism into something that really isn't being put out there that way. Frankly, I get tired of it. Usually it's the racist people who claim that something is "racist" and "offensive" to them. <_<

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the first movie, they had a stereotypical "rapping" black robot. (also, the only good robot who got killed)

Why should it be any different in the 2nd movie? Bay's a joke of a director. He always has been.

I love how one of the people they interviewed didn't even see the movie. Convincing. They also seemed to quickly gloss over the fact that one of the voice actors was white.

I'm sure there would be this same noise if they were bucktooth southern rednecks, right?

How dare they! It's "outcrys" like this that detracts from the civil rights movement and leaves them looking foolish.

Somebody cue Sharpton & Jesse Jackson....

This is disgusting...obviously, Transformers 2 does nothing but perpetuate negative stereotypes about robots. When are robots going to get a fair shake, huh?

In all seriousness, the folks that are crying "racist" are the racists. They're the ones that assume the robots are meant to be black, even though one of the voice actors is white.

Here's my question...how can a freaking animated robot be classified as white, black, asian, hispanic, etc?

There is a movie out there called "Ping Pong Playa" that I rented on Netflix. I'm always looking for something from the independent genre and this one looked like it might be funny. I know it's obscure and more than likely no one on this board has seen it except for me. I've never watched such hatred in a movie. Overboard stereotyping of whites and outright saying "Their the enemy" when a Chinese guy complains too a hot Chinese chick that she dates too many white guys. I can't help but think that even if this was a moderately mainstream or even a major release, this would go virtually unnoticed.

In all seriousness, the folks that are crying "racist" are the racists. They're the ones that assume the robots are meant to be black, even though one of the voice actors is white. Here's my question...how can a freaking animated robot be classified as white, black, asian, hispanic, etc?

Dude just because one of the voice over guys is white does not mean the character is white. A white guy imitating a black guy is even more racist.

You are too young to remember but there was this white guy named Al Jarreau that used to paint his face black and pretend he was a black entertainer. It was truly disgusting. He did all sorts of sterotypical things and made a fool of himself. These robots aren't much better and it makes it worse that a white guy is one voice.

If the character was physically known to be black, such as a cartoon or something, it could be considered racist. However, since this character was a robot and had no physical appearance indicating it was black or white, you can't assume the robot was actually supposed to represent a black person just by voice or culture.

If the character was physically known to be black, such as a cartoon or something, it could be considered racist. However, since this character was a robot and had no physical appearance indicating it was black or white, you can't assume the robot was actually supposed to represent a black person just by voice or culture.

Can you assume the tow truck from "Cars" was a country bumpkin or should we assume he was a well dressed corporate attorney?

:worthy::(:cry:

I can only assume that you eat crayons.

Dude I used an example that is exactly like yours. Do you think the tow truck in "Cars" was a redneck country bumpkin white guy, a black dude, a chinese dude or a frenchie?

It is obvious he is a white dude and obvious the Transformers are black dudes. So what if a modern day Al Jarreau is doing one of the voices?

People have taken this racist thing WAY too far. It is a fictional movie. I don't get butt hurt with Mater on Cars, Joe Dirt, the entire Deliverance movie.

Come on, what is wrong with bending a guy over in the woods and making him squeal like a pig?

I just wanted to get the above comment in a room, and finally had my shot.

We can get offended by anything on tv these days. All one has to do is watch any Southpark episode.

Dude I used an example that is exactly like yours. Do you think the tow truck in "Cars" was a redneck country bumpkin white guy, a black dude, a chinese dude or a frenchie?

It is obvious he is a white dude and obvious the Transformers are black dudes. So what if a modern day Al Jarreau is doing one of the voices?

Ah, yes... "obvious."

People have taken this racist thing WAY too far. It is a fictional movie. I don't get butt hurt with Mater on Cars, Joe Dirt, the entire Deliverance movie.

Come on, what is wrong with bending a guy over in the woods and making him squeal like a pig?

I just wanted to get the above comment in a room, and finally had my shot.

We can get offended by anything on tv these days. All one has to do is watch any Southpark episode.

I am not totally disagreeing with you but there has to be a line somewhere. In the old days there were no lines at all so you ended up with racist jerks like Al Jarreau. Today we can debate whether there are too many lines or if the pendulum swung too far, but at least we have respect to some degree. We should always question people and keep the pressure on. If we don't it will go back to the Jarreau era. Maybe sometimes we question too much but that is the price we pay.

That's why SP is such a great show. They go out of their way to insult idiots.

Getting "offended" by things in the public domain is simply a refuge for the weak and stupid.