Anchor Bar Question

I grew up in Amherst but have never been there. When I was living in that area, one place that was always mentioned as having great wings was Rootie's Pump Room on Stahl near Millersport. They were excellent and always had framed newspaper articles from all the entertainment mags reviewing their wings. Funny no one on any of these threads has mentioned them. Are they still in business because that place used to always be busy and the wings were awesome.

I remember applying for a job there when I was in high school.

Didnt get it :nana:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, I had dinner tonight at the Aud on Transit . I didn't think anyones wings could be worse than Quaker State and Lubes, but the Aud gets my votes for worst wings in WNY. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Our softball team is sponsored by the aud. The trick there is you need to ask them for extra crispy. if not they come out half cook. The first two weeks we were there they sucked then we started telling the waitress to make sure they are extra crispy & they have been pretty good. I am not going to endorse them & tell out of towners that they should go there for wings but they are not that bad as long as you ask for them extra crispy. There are much better places to go if you want wings though, I agree with that.

I grew up in Amherst but have never been there. When I was living in that area, one place that was always mentioned as having great wings was Rootie's Pump Room on Stahl near Millersport. They were excellent and always had framed newspaper articles from all the entertainment mags reviewing their wings. Funny no one on any of these threads has mentioned them. Are they still in business because that place used to always be busy and the wings were awesome.

Rootie's was my place of choice for wings, years. They always had a "two orders for the price of one coupon" in the UB paper. Rootie was a pretty nice guy, too...at least to me. Big Crispy and Flavorful. Pretty hot too, if you insisted.

Been closed for about 10 years, there's a bank there now. that's why they haven't been mentioned, but they did have great wings. Elmo's is still in that area and they have very good wings.

Not everyone likes Duffs. Their wings tend to be relatively dry/crispy. If you like your wings like that, then you'll probably like Duffs. If you like your wings more saucy, you might not like Duffs.

Lots of places in WNY have good/great wings. I haven't been to Hemmingways downtown in many years, but every time I had wings there they were big and great.

Hemingways actually used to have the exact same wings as Gabriel's Gate. Dave Forness was the owner and also owned Birchfields and I believe 50% of the Buffalo House...they all had awesome wings. I know he does not own the Gate anymore but the wings there are still very good. Not sure about Hemingways, etc.....

Hemingways actually used to have the exact same wings as Gabriel's Gate. Dave Forness was the owner and also owned Birchfields and I believe 50% of the Buffalo House...they all had awesome wings. I know he does not own the Gate anymore but the wings there are still very good. Not sure about Hemingways, etc.....

Hemmingway's is no more, it's now Encore or something...

I totally forgot about Barbill's in East Aurora.

Great wings, great fries, and maybe even better are their beef on weck sandwiches.

I have not been to some of the places mentioned here. Bar Bills has the best wings I have ever had. There beef on weck is amazing too as you stated. Anchor Bar is overrated. Although Duffs is better then the Anchor bar, they are overrated also(I never been to the original Duffs, just the one in Orchard park).

So which Duff's is the best Duff's?

Personally, I have only been to the Amherst location and have never been disappointed. They are definitely not dry there, if anything they are too saucy. An order of hot wings are literally swimming in sauce and if you like really really hot, the death wings may very well be the hottest around. Are they the best wings in the Buffalo area? That's debatable. I don't consider them the best, but they are definitely in the top 5...

For my money you can't beat the #2 at Duff's. 20 wings, fries and gravy, and a pitcher of loganberry. I'll be hitting town on July 25 and will go there at least twice.

The only time I've seen Duffs wings dry is if you order them mild. Medium or above (I usually go medium-hot) are very saucey, you go through about 2 dozen napkins every time!

I am curious. I am from Ontario and I always get the wings from there but I was wondering is the rest of their food good? I always want to try something different but I don't go often enough to order something different.

I would submit that while Duff's is indeed head and shoulders better than the Anchor Bar for wings, the best place in Buffalo is the Shannon Pub... NF Blvd! Try it out, I bet you'll agree.

i was just thinking about rootie's. back in the day they finished them on the grill with some franks and homemade BBQ sauce. hot damn!

Oh man you got me thinking now . I can pan fry some wings on the side burner then finish off on the grill .... I've got Franks sauce in the pantry.... guess what I am eating on July 4th????