Anchor Bar Question

They're located directly across the street from the Daytona Beach Convention Center (not sure what it's really called). They have a cross walk that goes over A1A from the parking garage. When you get off of the cross walk, you exit into this 3 or 4 story shopping plaza on the strip. Santora's is one of the restaraunts in there. I got a Sausage Sub and my wife ordered their Chicken Parm. Sub. Both were great, tasted just like the Santora's back home. Also tried a slice, and while Santora's wasn't my favorite pizza place, it tasted exactly the same (too much sauce if you ask me). Either way, it's cool to have a local place from back home (I lived right down the street from Santora's growing up).

Did you notice if they serve beef on weck?

And while I agree Santora's pizza wasn't the best, I always found it acceptable. I'd be interested to have a taste of Buffalo, down here.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And while I agree Santora's pizza wasn't the best, I always found it acceptable. I'd be interested to have a taste of Buffalo, down here.

The Santoras on main street was gone last time I was in Buffalo. Very disappointing we used to get lunch there, daily, in high school.

That said, I and a frend of mine from Buffalo get Anchor BAr sauce shipped here (to asia) and the wings are still great with that sauce! A little blue cheese with mayo and minced garlic, some celery...

Damn.

I don't think so. I sent you a link to a website with their info. and some other cool stuff. Let me know if it helps!!

There are lots of different ways to make flavorful wings. The good people at Anchor Bar weren't the first people ever to cook the wing,

But if a place chooses to call their wings "Buffalo" wings, there are some definite "dos" and "don'ts". Breading the wing is right out! (ie, Major don't). To that, you should say "Heretic!"

No, but they were the first to sell it...my grandmother and mother used to always tell me how chicken wings used to be thrown out and considered trash from the chicken...my grandfather used to own and operate a restaurant at the old Elk Street Terminal back in the great depression days...too bad I never got a chance to meet him as he passed away before I was born---from what they told me, he would have had a lot of really cool stories...

No, but they were the first to sell it...my grandmother and mother used to always tell me how chicken wings used to be thrown out and considered trash from the chicken...my grandfather used to own and operate a restaurant at the old Elk Street Terminal back in the great depression days...too bad I never got a chance to meet him as he passed away before I was born---from what they told me, he would have had a lot of really cool stories...

The Chinese have been making, and selling, chicken wings long before the owners of the Anchor were born. People, especially Black people, have been BBQ-ing wings for years and years, and selling them in their restaurants. There was a BBQ restaurant in Buffalo that long claimed they were selling wings before Anchor bar. But those wings were more BBQ sauce based, than what we know as Buffalo wings.

The Anchor Bar was the first to sell and popularize what we know as "wings". And that style has popularized the wing all over the country. They deserve all the credit in the world for that. Since of course, people have come up with all kinds of wing flavors...some of the pretty good.

My point was, Buffalo wings aren't the only kind of wings. But if you call your wings Buffalo Style, there are some definite parameters. If a place wants to bread their wings, or bake them, or put honey in the sauce, so be it. Just don't call them "Buffalo Wings".

I am curious. I am from Ontario and I always get the wings from there but I was wondering is the rest of their food good? I always want to try something different but I don't go often enough to order something different.

Anchor Bar is overrated. Go to Duffs for wings and then to Bocce's on Bailey Ave. for the best pizza in Buffalo!

The Chinese have been making, and selling, chicken wings long before the owners of the Anchor were born. People, especially Black people, have been BBQ-ing wings for years and years, and selling them in their restaurants. There was a BBQ restaurant in Buffalo that long claimed they were selling wings before Anchor bar. But those wings were more BBQ sauce based, than what we know as Buffalo wings.

The Anchor Bar was the first to sell and popularize what we know as "wings". And that style has popularized the wing all over the country. They deserve all the credit in the world for that. Since of course, people have come up with all kinds of wing flavors...some of the pretty good.

My point was, Buffalo wings aren't the only kind of wings. But if you call your wings Buffalo Style, there are some definite parameters. If a place wants to bread their wings, or bake them, or put honey in the sauce, so be it. Just don't call them "Buffalo Wings".

Actually, just don't call them chicken wings. People from Buffalo don't really use the term "Buffalo Wings" unless they happen to be dining out of town. You're right Deano in that breaded wings are "right out!" "When Chicken wings, upon being the third wings counted...thou shalt lob thy holy blue cheese..."

Also you reminded me that there was a place on the East Side which also claimed chicken wings as its legacy. Was it Mattie's Barbecue? Also what was that great soul food place on East Ferry near Humboldt?

Actually, just don't call them chicken wings. People from Buffalo don't really use the term "Buffalo Wings" unless they happen to be dining out of town. You're right Deano in that breaded wings are "right out!" "When Chicken wings, upon being the third wings counted...thou shalt lob thy holy blue cheese..."

Also you reminded me that there was a place on the East Side which also claimed chicken wings as its legacy. Was it Mattie's Barbecue? Also what was that great soul food place on East Ferry near Humboldt?

They are called "chicken wings" in WNY, but Buffalo Wings outside of the area. I'm not sure it's fair to expect all other styles of wings to avoid the word "chicken wing" as a descriptor...it is what they are. But I agree about the blue cheese. Down here, most places give the option of ranch or blue cheese.

The place I am thinking of made a big fuss about being the FIRST place to sell wings in Buffalo. It was a Black owned BBQ place, but Mattie's isn't ringing a bell.

EDIT: The guy who claims to have invented the Buffalo-style wing is John Young:

Calvin Trillin stated in his 1980 New Yorker article that a man named John Young also claimed credit for serving chicken wings in a special "mambo sauce". Chicken wings in mambo sauce became the specialty at his Buffalo restaurant in the mid-1960s. Young had registered the name of his restaurant, John Young's Wings 'n Things, at the county courthouse before leaving Buffalo in 1970.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wings

Young's wings were very tasty, but the sauce was BBQ-based and not Frank's-based.

And, in that same article, there is a picture of Duffs wings. They are far from dry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Duffs_chicken_wings.jpg