Cash for Clunkers Passed

plenzmd1

From the cars.gov website FAQs,

Most mid-size sedans made in the last 25 years would come in at 19+. I've never driven anything that averaged less than that. Even my old 8 cylinder Chevy Caprice shows up as a 19MPG car.

Some cars in the 1950's were averaging 19 mpg (highway)! I forget where I was reading it... I think it was in one of the Chicago newspapers... They had an expose on the "family road trip"... One entry was from a wife that was keeping a log/diary... The entry said they were getting 19 miles per gallon on the highway.

WTF??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very, very few cars would even qualify. A lot of trucks would easily qualify.

But then you also have to figure that the money is for junking your car, so you get nothing for your trade-in. So it only makes sense if your car is worth less than $3500. If it's worth $2000, that rebate only nets you $1500 when you scrap it.

One other thing to consider: if the dealer knows that you qualify for the rebate, what are the odds that he tries to skim off some by giving you less of a discount on the new vehicle?

How many people driving a worthless POS can even afford the payments on a new vehicle even with this "extra" rebate?

Not only doesn't this bill look like it will stimulate sales, it also gives up too much for too little mileage improvement. $3500 to buy a truck that gets 2 mpg better than your old POS? Yeah, that will reduce our reliance on foreign oil.

My 1993 BMW 740il qualifies.

I paid $3,500 and a junker trade for it, a year and a half (or so) ago. It is in very good condition, for the most part, but currently needs some work (ABS issue, maybe break linings too, and some new hoses and such). It has 150,000 miles on it.

This is a tough decision for me, as I really like my car. If I could get trade value PLUS the incentive, it would be a slam-dunk. But if the cars have to be crushed, that won't happen.

I can get $4500 trade in on my gas guzzler 1970 426 hemi cuda? Count me in.

SWEET! I'll give you $5k for it. I had a '72 Cuda, only with a 340 though

Send it to one of those high end car auctions like you see on TV now. You'll get $45,000

My 1993 BMW 740il qualifies.

I paid $3,500 and a junker trade for it, a year and a half (or so) ago. It is in very good condition, for the most part, but currently needs some work (ABS issue, maybe break linings too, and some new hoses and such). It has 150,000 miles on it.

This is a tough decision for me, as I really like my car. If I could get trade value PLUS the incentive, it would be a slam-dunk. But if the cars have to be crushed, that won't happen.

Scapyards turning into used car salesmen in 3, 2...

Think about this though Pooj, you could buy a new Hyundai Sonata for about $17K, get $3k in rebates plus get $4500 from the Gov. for a total price of $10K as you mentioned.

IIRC, you can also deduct the sales tax on your federal taxes. In NYS, that's a nice deduction...

• 1 month later...
Very nice planning by the federal government. A program that was designed to last four months has run out of money in one week.

I don't think it was meant to last four months. The had enough to pay for 1 million cars I think. Funny how no one is reporting the auto industry probably had it's best couple of days in history.

PTR

I don't think it was meant to last four months. The had enough to pay for 1 million cars I think. Funny how no one is reporting the auto industry probably had it's best couple of days in history.

PTR

The guys at the Pontiac dealship were running around with giant woody's everytime I stopped in. No complaints from them I'm sure.