Cash for Clunkers Passed

plenzmd1

Thought I would just let everyone know the cash for clunkers law has been approved and goes into effect July 1.

Here are some websites with info

http://twitter.com/cashclunkers

http://www.cars.gov/

http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/

In brief, If you have a car that gets 18mpg or less, or an SUV that gets 16mpg or less, you will be eligible to turn in your car and get either $3500 or $4500 on a new car that gets at least 4mpg better for a car, or 2 mpg for an SUV. Program starts 7/01.

For me this is great as I am turning in a 96 Explorer with 225,000 for a new car and will get the $4500. I have been waiting on this legislation to pass, and passed on buying a used vehicle in anticipation of this passing. And not to turn this into a PPP thread, but miracles of miracles Obama is not placing any income restrictions on taking advantage of this program.

Couple of notes of interest

1) You will have to show proof of insurance, registration and title proves you have owned the car for at least 1 year . So no going out and buying a $100 POS and trading it in. Also, the car has to be drivable to qualify.

2) Only $1B is approved as of now, no telling how quick that will run out. So I would not delay if this is something you can take advantage of. BTW, this does not affect rebates etc.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so for my 92 explorer which i paid 1100.00 cash for and, knock on wood, gets me from point A to point B, I can now go a minumum of 10,000 in debt to get a shiny new car?????? YOWSER!!!!! If I can't pay my car loan, can I get a government bailout????

I am just busting...I know it is merely an option to people looking to buy a car, not a mandate to do so....

I presume they look at the original manufacture's MPG estimates?

My car just died on Sunday... Not worth fixing and not worth a new engine. Of course, this means I don't qualify, but I wonder if I was close.

that is still up to debate, or rather probably just resolved with the actual passage of the bill

Q: My car is old and originally got more than 18 mpg, but now it gets 14 mpg. Will it qualify?

A: That is another popular question. We will have to wait and see if the bill provides a reasonable assessment of current MPG versus original manufacturer EPA MPG.

My car just died on Sunday... Not worth fixing and not worth a new engine. Of course, this means I don't qualify, but I wonder if I was close.

The 18 mpg cutoff bites. My Dodge Caravan is rated at 20 so we missed the boat. I was planning to get a car that's rated for 26. Since this program is supposed to promote fuel efficiency you'd think a 30% improvement in MPG would qualify you for something.

PTR

I would talk to the dealer about this. I am pretty sure they will be pretty lieneient on what constitutes "driveable".

so for my 92 explorer which i paid 1100.00 cash for and, knock on wood, gets me from point A to point B, I can now go a minumum of 10,000 in debt to get a shiny new car?????? YOWSER!!!!! If I can't pay my car loan, can I get a government bailout????

Its funny cause one of the dabates was how much impact would this have on car sales. Some people said the only people who have cars worth less than $4500 prolly can't afford a new car...which I thought was funny. I just tend to hand onto cars pretty long.

Think about this though Pooj, you could buy a new Hyundai Sonata for about $17K, get $3k in rebates plus get $4500 from the Gov. for a total price of $10K as you mentioned. Add in the gas savings and not having a repair for the next 5 years, and my gut is that is a cheaper way to go than hanging onto the Explorer!!!!

[EDIT] btw Pooj, forgot to add in that in 5 years i would assume one could get at least $4K for the car, and total would only be $6K. Not bad for driving a decent new car for 5 years.

thanks.

Assuming they take the 1st set of numbers, mine averages to 21 MPG. Crud.

From the cars.gov website FAQs,

Go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm and click on the model year of your vehicle, the make, and then the model. Under the words "ESTIMATED NEW EPA MPG" in the red banner, there is a red number with the word "COMBINED" under it. That is the new combined city/highway fuel economy for your vehicle. You may then enter the make, model, and model year of a new vehicle you may want to buy and see its combined MPG for comparison.

Most mid-size sedans made in the last 25 years would come in at 19+. I've never driven anything that averaged less than that. Even my old 8 cylinder Chevy Caprice shows up as a 19MPG car.

It's the combined number on that chart. Unless you're driving a boat or a truck, you're SOL.

Thanks. Mine is 21 mpg combined on that chart, but I'm not sure I believe the numbers. The highway number might be right, but it says I get 18 in city driving, and I don't believe this.

Good. I hope no one can use this free money. It's complete rape.

I've been rolling around this or that way this gravy train will be manipulated. The first is the "must be insured for a year" clause. Second...."It must be destroyed".

Just like Medicade, Medicare, Section 8, pick the program - it will be gamed.