Chinese Food

ajzepp

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This had a lot to do with the atmosphere. It was more than 20 years ago but I still remember it well. The walk through the kitchen to the restroom was quite entertaining. The health department in the US really takes all the fun out of cooking.

While I generally agree that Americans are too squeemish (sp?) about food I do take issue that less than high standards around preparation and storage are acceptable. I will not eat at anyplace where the restrooms are dirty. My basic thought here is that if RR is dirty so is the kitchen.

However, if the issue is eating body parts, such as brain or intestine, that Americans are afraid of, then I say get a life.

I just don't understand crab rangoons. Wifey orders them whenever we have Chinese. Fried pup tents filled with a tiny bit 'o stuff that reminds me of cream cheese.

There once was a man from Rangoon, who was born 9 months too soon. He didn't have the luck to be born by a fuc#. He was scraped off the sheets with a spoon.

Thank you.

I just don't understand crab rangoons. Wifey orders them whenever we have Chinese. Fried pup tents filled with a tiny bit 'o stuff that reminds me of cream cheese.

It is cream cheese so I somehow doubt you will be ordering the things while in China on your next visit. Totally created for American taste buds and awful IMHO.

WEhile I generally agree that americans are too squiamish (sp?) about food I do take issue that less than high standards around preparation and storage are acceptable. I will not eat at anyplace where the restrooms are dirty. My basic thought here is that if RR is dorty so is the kitchen.

However, if the issue is eating body parts, such as brain or intestine, that Americans are afraid of then I say get a life.

Dirty is one thing. Having a restaurant put out a scarlet letter in it's front window because the water wasn't quite hot enough is another. People are not dying on every street corner of food poisoning. Just another governmental waste of money. Let the customer decide if it's clean enoug.

1) Hot & Sour Soup (if well made, is da bomb)

2) Pot stickers (which are pan-fried pork dumplings)

3) Hunan Chicken

4) I'm a big noodle guy, so I like chow fun or lo mein or double-fried noodle dishes

5) Honey-walnut shrimp

Same here....I love lo mein, so I'll give the other two noodle dishes you mentioned a shot. Had some shirmp lo mein last night....delicious <_<

Most are citing Americanized dishes. In the 80s I went to SF for a conference. One of the people from ourlab was from China. We went to Chinatown for dinner. He told us the Chinese writing in the window were specials not on the menu for people who were native speakers. He ordered for us and specifically told them to not Americanize it. We had stuff I had never seen. All of it was delicious.

His Chinese friends threw him a birthday party and us labmates were invited. There was a table heaping with food, none of which I had heard of or seen before. Again, all delicious.

Most are citing Americanized dishes. In the 80s I went to SF for a conference. One of the people from ourlab was from China. We went to Chinatown for dinner. He told us the Chinese writing in the window were specials not on the menu for people who were native speakers. He ordered for us and specifically told them to not Americanize it. We had stuff I had never seen. All of it was delicious.

His Chinese friends threw him a birthday party and us labmates were invited. There was a table heaping with food, none of which I had heard of or seen before. Again, all delicious.

That's like Europeans thinking American food it McDonalds. One of my plans during my retirement is to travel the deep south in search of southern cooking and southern music.

One of my plans during my retirement is to travel the deep south in search of southern cooking and southern music.

You better hurry because both are dying arts.

Having spent most of my adult life in what loosely can be called "the South" (Texas in my opinion does not qualify as it stands on its own relative to food and culture primarily due to the influence of Mexico / Mexicans) I have sadly watched this trend in motion.

I often tease my wife (a southerner) that I plan to write a book titled: "A Yankee who headed south in search of the perfect biscuit." Sadly though most biscuits are now mass produced and frozen into hockey pucks then "baked."

Soul food (perhaps better called traditional African American comfort food) is also headed in the same sad direction.

The crossover between the two is fried chicken. Anyone who believes that KFC or Popeyes represent this art form well should be dropped in the fryer.

Having spent most of my adult life in what loosely can be called "the South" (Texas in my opinion does not qualify as it stands on its own relative to food and culture primarily due to the influence of Mexico / Mexicans) I have sadly watched this trend in motion.

I often tease my wife (a southerner) that I plan to write a book titled: "A Yankee who headed south in search of the perfect biscuit." Sadly though most biscuits are now mass produced and frozen into hockey pucks then "baked."

Soul food (perhaps better called traditional African American comfort food) is also headed in the same sad direction.

The crossover between the two is fried chicken. Anyone who believes that KFC or Popeyes represent this art form well should be dropped in the fryer.

I don't think either are going away and that's ok I'll have the time. And I don't have to hurry...it's right around the corner. :rolleyes:

Try church dinners. My eldest sister contributes to a cookbook her church compiles every couple of years. They sell it and donate the proceeds to this and that charity.

Great food at their dinners - the things you seek.

I don't think either are going away and that's ok I'll have the time. And I don't have to hurry...it's right around the corner. :rolleyes:

If you ever have the opportunity to eat at a small, off the beaten path Baptist pot luck dinner in the South jump on it. Sadly this type of event often follows a funeral but I will say some of the best eats that you will ever ingest.

If you ever have the opportunity to eat at a small, off the beaten path Baptist pot luck dinner in the South jump on it. Sadly this type of event often follows a funeral but I will say some of the best eats that you will ever ingest.

If I didn't know the deceased and the foods good it's a win win right?