Chinese Food

ajzepp

If I didn't know the deceased and the foods good it's a win win right?

No argument from me.

BTW - while some would argue that it is not a "southern" state. Kentucky also has many really good "down home" southern eateries. I will run down the name of the place my wife and I dropped into in Berea, KY - food served family style and I probably managed to put five pounds on my once small frame in the place.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No argument from me.

BTW - while some would argue that it is not a "southern" state. Kentucky also has many really good "down home" southern eateries. I will run down the name of the place my wife and I dropped into in Berea, KY - food served family style and I probably managed to put five pounds on my once small frame in the place.

Kentucky=Bourbon!

No argument from me.

Try a Kentucky Hot Brown. It's...filling.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/kentuckyr.../r/bl10424b.htm

Try church dinners. My eldest sister contributes to a cookbook her church compiles every couple of years. They sell it and donate the proceeds to this and that charity.

Great food at their dinners - the things you seek.

Sorry stuck did not mean to appear to steal your idea - posted mine nearly simultaneously

Sorry stuck did not mean to appear to steal your idea - posted mine nearly simultaneously

No problem. When I was a lad in Buffalo, our church had Sunday dinner (in the traditional sense - a big meal a couple of hours after services).

The families would bring food against a moving list. One Sunday, a family would bring a meat dish, the next, a side, the next, a breadstuff, and so on. So you never brought the same thing each Sunday.

Naturally, everybody did the best with what they could afford, with their contributions. Quite a feast, that would satisfy for days - and of course a source of anticipation.

Different times then - going "out" for a meal was a rarity for most. Almost never, for kids. So to we wee folk, this Sunday meal was beyond spectacular. :rolleyes:

No problem. When I was a lad in Buffalo, our church had Sunday dinner (in the traditional sense - a big meal a couple of hours after services).

The families would bring food against a moving list. One Sunday, a family would bring a meat dish, the next, a side, the next, a breadstuff, and so on. So you never brought the same thing each Sunday.

Naturally, everybody did the best with what they could afford, with their contributions. Quite a feast, that would satisfy for days - and of course a source of anticipation.

Different times then - going "out" for a meal was a rarity for most. Almost never, for kids. So to we wee folk, this Sunday meal was beyond spectacular. :rolleyes:

No doubt that those were good times and good food. They were made even better because much of the food was prepared through "handed down" methods that came from generations back (in some cases back to the "old country").

My Grandmother was a cook for a convent. Her food was to die for. Having grown up in the depression she could make a meal for twenty on a dollars worth of groceries (not stretching the truth much here).

Kids today have no sense of these abilities or traditions. Too many think food comes out of a microwave box or from a drive through.

I agree...if you want good Chinese food go to SF. :rolleyes:

I recently got introduced to Thai food and love it. There's an authentic Thai place here in Portland that's awesome!

I heard that one of the most popular Chinese dishes in San Francisco is cumma sum young guy.

Dirty is one thing. Having a restaurant put out a scarlet letter in it's front window because the water wasn't quite hot enough is another. People are not dying on every street corner of food poisoning. Just another governmental waste of money. Let the customer decide if it's clean enoug.

Not to get into Chef... But, I just have to say:

"When you give an inch, people take a mile."

Standards. As a country, we have already traveled down the lax road you suggest. There is a reason why people ARE not dying on every corner.

I know safety can always be a crutch... I just don't think it is a total waste of money... It is a control issue for some I do admit. Like I said, we already went down the road you suggest and putting it back in that court would be a tragic mistake.

I am respectfully disagreeing with you. :rolleyes:

Not to get into Chef... But, I just have to say:

"When you give an inch, people take a mile."

Standards. As a country, we have already traveled down the lax road you suggest. There is a reason why people ARE not dying on every corner.

I know safety can always be a crutch... I just don't think it is a total waste of money... It is a control issue for some I do admit. Like I said, we already went down the road you suggest and putting it back in that court would be a tragic mistake.

I am respectfully disagreeing with you. :rolleyes:

How many professional kitchens have you worked in in your life?

How many professional kitchens have you worked in in your life?

What is "professional?" As a youngin'... One... I was a lowly dishwasher and busser... :wacko: And man the cooks were dicks! :rolleyes:

I do understand that it is all about following the rules... The bar should be set high. Maybe you are saying that there should be leeway for minor infractions?? I do agree with that. Like I said, some people/entities will always use safety as a crutch. I just dsagree with putting control in the hands of the people and the business... IMO, both can't be trusted. With that, there is something to be said about over-offcious health agencies too. I hope that is where your issues are. ?? I probably would have assumed that and not replied at all if it wasn't for the last part of your post (you have a habit of doing that, just like the weather thread :lol: ):

"Just another governmental waste of money. Let the customer decide if it's clean enoug."

Where the waste may be is in how the agency trains, develops, and runs their program. The last part about the customer is just plain ludicrous... People will eat sh*t and be happy!

:rolleyes:

If you like that Lana (ya... Just joking, that post you replied to was bad!)... Here is another, I think Dean knows it too :lol: :

Who was the famous Chinese painter that did "Spots on the wall?"

None other than:

Hu Flung Sh*t (or Poo)

Booooo, what a stupid joke I know!

:wacko:

What is "professional?" As a youngin'... One... I was a lowly dishwasher and busser... :wacko: And man the cooks were dicks! :rolleyes:

I do understand that it is all about following the rules... The bar should be set high. Maybe you are saying that there should be leeway for minor infractions?? I do agree with that. Like I said, some people/entities will always use safety as a crutch. I just dsagree with putting control in the hands of the people and the business... IMO, both can't be trusted. With that, there is something to be said about over-offcious health agencies too. I hope that is where your issues are. ?? I probably would have assumed that and not replied at all if it wasn't for the last part of your post (you have a habit of doing that, just like the weather thread :lol: ):

"Just another governmental waste of money. Let the customer decide if it's clean enoug."

Where the waste may be is in how the agency trains, develops, and runs their program. The last part about the customer is just plain ludicrous... People will eat sh*t and be happy!

If people want to eat sh-- and be happy why should anyone stop them. Now the government is telling me what I can and cannot eat? I got a huge !@#$ing problem with that. And trust me if a restaurant is dirty and people are getting sick eating there the place won't be in business very long. I'm tired of the government trying to protect me from myself. Thanks but I've got that covered.

If people want to eat sh-- and be happy why should anyone stop them. Now the government is telling me what I can and cannot eat? I got a huge !@#$ing problem with that. And trust me if a restaurant is dirty and people are getting sick eating there the place won't be in business very long. I'm tired of the government trying to protect me from myself. Thanks but I've got that covered.

True (the blue part). That is all fine and dandy, in the end the right thing to do is make sure that doesn't happen or we will all get sick. Maybe that is what you really want? To me that is just plain phucked up. We had the same debate on the board a while back with regards to raw milk and dairy products... Fine, but we have been a pretty stable country for the last 80 or so years. Sure the US and others have had issues, but not quite the wild swings from stuff like epidemics, natural disasters (the way Katrina was handled as bad as it was, was still light years ahead of how we used to do things), and other public maladies. What I am saying is that is you want to turn the clock back fine, stupid but fine. It isn't soley about you. It is about others also. Just don't eat some bad raw cheese and give me TB.

I did like the place that Dean mentioned, PF Changs....but no idea where they stand in the grand scheme of what's good.

In my opinion, PF Changs is just an overpriced Chinese restaurant. It's good once in a while, but the corner delivery joint is just as good, and cheaper.

Most are citing Americanized dishes. In the 80s I went to SF for a conference. One of the people from ourlab was from China. We went to Chinatown for dinner. He told us the Chinese writing in the window were specials not on the menu for people who were native speakers. He ordered for us and specifically told them to not Americanize it. We had stuff I had never seen. All of it was delicious.

His Chinese friends threw him a birthday party and us labmates were invited. There was a table heaping with food, none of which I had heard of or seen before. Again, all delicious.

One company I worked for years ago, was owned by a Chinese couple. Our Christmas party was held at a restaurant where they knew the owners. Same story, we were getting dishes that are not on the menu.

If you like that Lana (ya... Just joking, that post you replied to was bad!)... Here is another, I think Dean knows it too :) :

Who was the famous Chinese painter that did "Spots on the wall?"

None other than:

Hu Flung Sh*t (or Poo)

Booooo, what a stupid joke I know!

:nana:

I believe it is:

Hu Flung Dung

True (the blue part). That is all fine and dandy, in the end the right thing to do is make sure that doesn't happen or we will all get sick. Maybe that is what you really want? To me that is just plain phucked up. We had the same debate on the board a while back with regards to raw milk and dairy products... Fine, but we have been a pretty stable country for the last 80 or so years. Sure the US and others have had issues, but not quite the wild swings from stuff like epidemics, natural disasters (the way Katrina was handled as bad as it was, was still light years ahead of how we used to do things), and other public maladies. What I am saying is that is you want to turn the clock back fine, stupid but fine. It isn't soley about you. It is about others also. Just don't eat some bad raw cheese and give me TB.

So what you're telling me that as a chef I don't know how to cook food safely without making people sick? All I have to say to that is......!@#$ you!

I did like the place that Dean mentioned, PF Changs....but no idea where they stand in the grand scheme of what's good.

I hate chain restaurants, as a rule, but Changs is a very good chain, in my experience. It is overpriced, though.

With that said, if you can find a good local place, it will likely be cheaper and possibly better than Changs. If you live in a real city, you may never have a reason to go to Changs. In some towns though, it is one of the better places.

The only reason I ever tried the place is I was driving to Vegas years ago, and I was starving. We got off the highway, and a Changs was right there, in a plaza. Took a shot. Sat at a table next to Riddick Bowe. It was damn good, but I had low expectations.

Since, I have gone to the Changs in J-ville a few times, and never had a bad meal. Now that I know the area better, I don't go there as I have found better, and less expensive, places...and I finally found a good Thai restaurant.

So what you're telling me that as a chef I don't know how to cook food safely without making people sick? All I have to say to that is......!@#$ you!

Yikes, excuse me. No not really. But you do need oversight. :nana: Like everybody will just trust what people say. Like I told DC: "Don't take yourself so seriously." Why should I trust you or what you say?

Man you got issues. I am out.